IGNORED

photo blocker spray, does it work?

barncobob

Mythbusters (the TV show) recently test every method they could think of to defeat the photoradar and busted everyone of them. Every photo of the plate was clearly visible. Even the spray.

wbrissette
Mythbusters (the TV show) recently test every method they could think of to defeat the photoradar and busted everyone of them. Every photo of the plate was clearly visible. Even the spray.

interesting. The shows I've seen where they've done real live tests have shown that the spray did work as long as the camera used a flash. The spray basically makes the plate super glossy your plate ends up looking like a mirror with a huge hot spot in the photo. There is a clear plate that when looked at any angle other than head on renders the plate pretty useless too. The TV show I saw that used it couldn't read the plate unless the plate was in perfect alignment with the camera.

So, I don't know. Seems that some testers seem to think it works, others don't. Very odd.

Wayne

BigGalloot

interesting. The shows I've seen where they've done real live tests have shown that the spray did work as long as the camera used a flash. The spray basically makes the plate super glossy your plate ends up looking like a mirror with a huge hot spot in the photo.

On Mythbusters it didn't work. The problem is that making the plate glossy is only effective if the flash is reflected directly at the lens.

NO , none of the sprays or covers worked in Mythbuster or in real life. In fact, the best way to get a ticket once a week or so is to drive around with somthing covering your license plate. It is a sure thing! Ever see the squids riding around with the fender eliminator and a license plate tucked way up under the wheel well where you cant see it? Thats a sure ticket too. Anything promoting an obscured plate makes any LEO think you're going to run when stopped and we wont be able to read your plate to track you down. It's like stopping someone that is speeding and seeing he has a radar detector and the guy says its only there to remind him to do the speed limit. COME ON! I have never let anyone go for speed when they have a detector! I let them know they are garbage (the detector) and it will pay for the ticket when they pawn it. Dont do it man, just drive like your mum was on the back and you'll never have a problem. thumbsup.gif

It's like stopping someone that is speeding and seeing he has a radar detector and the guy says its only there to remind him to do the speed limit. COME ON! I have never let anyone go for speed when they have a detector! I let them know they are garbage (the detector) and it will pay for the ticket when they pawn it. Dont do it man, just drive like your mum was on the back and you'll never have a problem. thumbsup.gif

I don't use a radar detector on my bike, but when I was stopped in a car, at least that officer was nice enough to give me an obstructed view ticket (no points here in NJ). smile.gif

I have never let anyone go for speed when they have a detector! I let them know they are garbage (the detector) and it will pay for the ticket when they pawn it.

Garbage? Sorry, officer, but I disagree. My Bel and Valentine One detectors have saved my butt from your brothers on occasions too numerous to count.

Sure, I'm not immune, but I've paid for these things tenfold, easily.

I suspected the photo blocker stuff was BS, but I have yet to see a photo van in UT.

I let them know they are garbage (the detector) and it will pay for the ticket when they pawn it.

Wrong. Sorry officer but the early warning that you guys are out there has paid for the unit many times over. I would agree the Laser detectors aren't very useful. By the time it goes off you are tagged. But the RADAR detectors can be very useful to alert the driver there is a "bear taking pictures" and to slow down.

No for the anti-photo gimmicks, no they don't work. Not only do the systems take a picture they also use digital analyzers to enhance the picture of the plate. So, no it wouldn’t work.

"It's like stopping someone that is speeding and seeing he has a radar detector and the guy says its only there to remind him to do the speed limit. COME ON! I have never let anyone go for speed when they have a detector! "

How about this officer," I'm counting Safeway doors". Would that work?

On a positive note, the false alarms on my V1 do slow me down. Its like a LEO car parked on the side of the road empty. It does have its effect.

There are some older tests indicating that the Photoblocker spray did work with cameras that employed a flash, but the newer digital cameras tend not to use flashes and, thus, are not foiled by the spray. Sometimes the plates with optical louvers (the SuperProtector name comes to mind) will work, but again it's not 100%.

As far as the discussion relating to radar/lidar detectors . . . good quality detectors are pretty effective, particularly when the LEO/operator is a bit sloppy. You can be effectively clocked by instant-on radar with little advance notice, and a well-aimed laser (lidar) gun will clock you almost instantly. However, I've found my Valentine One to be pretty effective against both. First, even with instant-on you'll often get a warning as vehicles ahead of you are targeted. Similarly, the Valentine often picks up scatter from other vehicles that are being hit with the laser, well before you're targeted.

Ultimately, however, it's always best to rely on the many chumps who are willing to act as your "rabbit" and to keep your riding or driving within the realm of reason.

I'm a full time pro photographer with 40 years experience. I bought a can and ran every test I could at every angle I could with all types of lighting.

It doesn't work. The ad should be removed and the company sued for false advertising. It's crap.

The little Canadian (forgot the brand) plastic fresnel lens plate covers do work. These little devils make the plate appear almost totally normal when viewed from behind but the moment you move more than 10 degrees off axis the numbers are unreadable.

My best mate has this fitted to his bike and he hates being pulled up by the law in case they pick it. It's illegal here to have them on your bike. I own one and haven't had the courage to fit it...

I take it easy on the road and have a track day on my sports bikes to release the need for speed.

Linz

Archived