IGNORED

Camping Cot?

Mike O

Need something a bit more comfortable than the 1.5" Thermorest for camping. Investigated a couple cots from REI. Brought one home and it was too long for my tent. Returned it and got a 'Roll-a-cot'.

41195.jpg

Fits perfectly in the tent, but I'm not thrilled about the folded up width as it's just a bit narrower than my bags on the RT. But if I can't find something else, will probably go with it.

Also found the Voyager Compact Cot.

EZ-B24-Full-o.jpg

At 30 inches folded it looks promising as well. And then there is this from Aerostitch:

4105_1gthumb.jpg

But at $190, I might as well stay at a hotel.

So, what are folks using for a camping cot (or is everyone comfortable with air mattress?)

Mike O

Mike,

We're using inflatable air matresses.

Both Coleman, one is 4" high and a bit bigger/wider, the other type looks like a heavy duty pool float.

We also carry the battery powered inflate/deflate pump.

Beats the heckout of a Thermonorest IMO, and when deflated, either version packs flat and takes up less space than a Thermounrest.

We use 40 degree bags, X-long that can zip together. Also silk cocoon sheets/bag liners that add 10 degrees warmth or can be used w/out the bags in warmer weather.

Just my.025.

The cot from Aerostitch is intriquing. It will fit in a small bagthe size of our camp Sling chairs and fit in the saddle bag (I think).

After a bit more searching, I found this online:

42506_l.jpg

Byer Tri-Lite Folding Cot. $50.

74 in. long x 25 in. wide x 8 in. high.

Supposedly only 27in long when folded.

Mike O

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Mike, someone posted a very detailed review of the expensive cot after buying and using it over on ADVRider. If I find it I'll post a link.

the review, in short: thumbsup.gif

Mike, someone posted a very detailed review of the expensive cot after buying and using it over on ADVRider. If I find it I'll post a link.

the review, in short: thumbsup.gif

Thanks Tom...Found the thread on ADVRider here.

There is another thread going on over there that is asking similar questions as mine.

Mike O

John Diakonis

Hi Mike, I bought the Beyer tri lite last year and it was the best money spent! No kidding. I use a full size thermarest with it and it is a great set up. It folds down nicely too. It goes in one of my HTW bags on the rear seat. I looked at a lot of cots before buying this one.

g_frank_nin

This cot pictured in “Mike O’s” post is the one I use... awesome! I use it with my thermarest pad and the sleeping bag…. That’s all I needed for a great night’s rest.

BTW if you know your final destination, you can send yourself a package to the local post office for "general delivery." In this package you could include all of the creature comfort things you would not want to carry on your bike... the post office will hold it for up to 30 days before returning it to sender as undeliverable (check it out with your local post office before sending it)

Last year I went to Sturgis for a week and sent myself the cot, a comfy chair amongst other “comfort” things, used them for my “week on a tent” and re-packaged them into the same box and re-sent it back to me. Worked like a charm! thumbsup.gif I only traveled with my tent, my thermarest and my sleeping bag… the rest I mailed. ~ Frank

Mike,

That looks nice, but I wonder about the tent floor and the metal legs?

Also, those things are BIG when packed. I'm usually carrying for 2 people and those seem to take up a bit of space.

Plus, they're too short. blush.gifgrin.gif

Let us know how they work.

Archived