IGNORED

The death of The Wave

KTM_95

For many people, one of the neat things about riding a street bike is the wave. No, not the kind of wave where we stand up and throw our arms in the air like a drunken college student at a football game. I am talking about The Wave. One of the unwritten rules of the road is The Wave: If you are on a motorcycle on the street and pass another motorcycle, you must wave at them. It might as well be law. Until now.

Over the past few years I have waved at thousands of people on bikes. Hundreds have waved back. Why? What has happened that has changed how motorcycle enthusiasts greet each other? Today I think I finally figured it out. For Stereotyping purposes, I have segregated it by brand.

Harley riders don't wave because they are:

A: Not riding because they are busy cleaning the many small yet expensive shiny pieces on their bikes.

B: Worrying about getting their new shiny pieces dirty, in which case they will have to do what is referred to in A.

C: Wondering where they can buy some of those cool "Loud Pipes Save Lives" stickers to put on their helmet/bandanna.

D: They can't wave because they can't hear you. Since they can't hear you, you are not saving lives and, oh never mind. What?

E: Wondering why their legs are so darn hot.

F: Shifting through 4th, 5th, and 6th gear just so they can see the cool "6" light on their speedometer.

Honda riders don't wave because they are:

A: Wondering what they can do to their bikes to make them look/sound/feel like a Harley. (What they fail to remember is that their bike is designed and built to year 2000 standards, unlike HD's which are built to 1960's standards which makes it impossible to simulate the look/feel/taste of a HD.)

B: Too busy wondering why they don't meet the nicest people on a Honda anymore.

BMW riders don't wave because they are:

A: Too busy adjusting their windshield.

B: Turning on and off their seat heaters and grip heaters and thinking/saying how much they love their BMW and that Harley's are the Neanderthals of the biking world.

C: Playing with their gadgets. GPS, cell phone, ipod, coffee maker, heated vest, 6 disc CD player with full surround sound...

D: Wondering why nobody can make a tire for their bikes that lasts over 7,000 miles.

Yamaha riders don't wave because they are:

A: Wondering how much longer they can ride before their flip-flops fly off, possibly striking them in their bare legs and/or bare chest.

B: Wishing very hard that they were on a Harley so they could be cool just like all their friends, who also want to be different just like everybody else.

Suzuki riders don't wave because they are:

A: See Yamaha and Honda riders.

Kawasaki riders don't wave because they are:

A: See Suzuki riders.

Triumph riders don't wave because they are:

A: Very happy they found a dealer that sells Triumph.

B: Very Very happy they found a dealer that sells Triumph.

Chopper riders don't wave because:

A: They are riding a bike that takes the worst suspension since leaf springs, the most chrome since the dawn of man, the worst ergonomics since The Cross (think Spartacus), the loudest pipes in the history of hearing loss combined with a leftover semi-truck tire, and anyone who doesn't have a chopper is not a motorcycle rider and is not worthy of taking a hand off of their unsteady-on-anything-but-a-strait-line, overpriced monstrosity. (whew!)

B: See Harley riders A-D

Ural riders don't wave because:

A: When was the last time you passed a Ural motorcycle on the highway?

B: They are too busy wondering where to get a cool machine gun to mount to their standard issue machine gun mount.

C: Wondering why they bought a 2 wheel drive motorcycle with a side car that is incapable of traveling over 65 MPH for more than 2 minutes.

Now, this is not an all inclusive list. I have left out some brands, and I have stereotyped each brand's riders as much as possible. Hey, if you don't agree with me, you can express your displeasure with me when you pass me on the highway. Just make sure you wave (one finger wave is acceptable, it is still waving!).

I'm not sure why they don't wave, I think the word enthusiast has a lot to do with it. A true biker will respond to anothers friendly gesture, A poser will not.

Pat

Coffee maker? :confused

I didn't know they were an option. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I'll wave at you no mater what you ride. In fact, I waved to 5 HD riders the other day. Going about 15 over on a two land rural S Illinois road. Met them going the other way. They were on a mission because they waived back and didn't even slow down. Of course, they were all Illinois State Police on state issued HD's. grin.gif

Knifemaker

OLD and worn out topic...I wave at all bikes and I am proud to do it...If you do not wave back at me.....SO

I have all types of bikes...The wave has nothing to do with type of bike....

Paul Mihalka

I like to wave, and it can be anybody on any kind of bike, but some times, like nice Sunday mornings, I have to stop waving. It would not let my left hand get back to the handlebar...

duckbubbles

Waving is pretty well represented in my area, I think. It varies from the left outside finger lift to the full extended arm raised kind.

I try to at least take my left hand off the bar and give it a little effort.

Frank

Jaime, I think the type of wave may be a factor here. Personally, I prefer extending two fingers on my left hand, pointing them towards the pavement, then give my fingers two shakes as if I had snot on the end of my fingers. Actually, sometimes I do. This a cool wave and should not be attempted by anything but GS riders.

I shy away from the one finger pointing up in the sky wave. The wavee may think I am asking him/her/it to look up which could cause a collision with the 18 wheeler they are drafting.

Calvin  (no socks)

On the return from Torrey I happened upon some type of rally in Oklahoma somewhere.... In 150 miles to the gathering/swap meet/bike wash...and 100 miles beyond, I waved to and recieved waves from 95% of the individuals ....I was wore out from waving... they only had to wave at one... I waved at hundreds....

Stormrider

True, while this is an old tired topic of many motorcycle forums it does make one notice. Is it the brand? Rider? All of the above?

I've come to a conclusion while trying not to use the phrase "old school".

We have to major groups of riders out there now.....the pre-OCC riders & the post OCC riders.

As for me...I wave to everyone.

Passed a guy yesterday on I4 riding a naked Harley. Bandana, shirt, pants just a flappin away. As I went by I turned and waved. This guy looked at me like,"I'd wave at you but I don't want to let go". Maybe he thought he'd fly away or something if he let go. Pretty funny. lmao.gif

ISYHTRAH

Jim VonBaden

Thank doG no one got bent about the comical stereotyping. thumbsup.gif

I wave to everyone, when not messing with my GPS/iPod/gerbings/flip-up internal visor! grin.gif I even wave to bicycles, scooters and little kids in the back seat of a socermobile! wave.gif

Jim cool.gif

My observations for people not waving:

a) You're the 200th person who has waved at him and his waver is worn out.

b) It's all he can do to keep his line going around the curve.

c) He just doesn't feel a bond with your type of bike or your type of ride. He may just be on his daily commute to work and not sharing the thrill of a beautiful day and a fun ride.

Thank doG no one got bent about the comical stereotyping. thumbsup.gif

I wave to everyone, when not messing with my GPS/iPod/gerbings/flip-up internal visor! grin.gif I even wave to bicycles, scooters and little kids in the back seat of a socermobile! wave.gif

Jim cool.gif

You have to wave at guys on rider mowers too... they are still riding...

Agent_Orange

Uh, where do I find these two wheel riding mowers? confused.gif

Must be up north, 'cause we don't have 'um here in 'blue hair' land. lmao.giflmao.gif

wrestleantares

Boy is this a TIRED subject.

I see lots of riders on all types waving.

I personally do not wave with any regularity.

I'm riding not socializing.

Boy is this a TIRED subject.

I guess not since many replies/views. If you are tired of reading about it, don't click on the subject. Some of us are NOT tired of it! dopeslap.gif

For the BMW riders, you forgot "Riding an RT-P" because no one waves at you on the cop bike anyway and they look at you strangely if you do, so this ride excuses one from waving duties...

With so many ladies riding now I always wave tongue.gif

Nothing wrong with that.

(Depending, of course, on just what you are waving.)

crazy.gif

"C: Playing with their gadgets. GPS, cell phone, ipod, coffee maker, heated vest, 6 disc CD player with full surround sound..."

Not to hi jack your post, but does anyone

know where I can get an espresso maker for my RT?

I wave at pretty much everyone (if I'm not playing with the gadgets on the bike and see them before they ride past). Most of them wave back. I don't care if they wave back or not. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I rode by a shiny tanker truck today and waved at my reflection. Wouldn't you know it... it didn't wave back! bncry.gif Damn Beemer riders!

"C: Playing with their gadgets. GPS, cell phone, ipod, coffee maker, heated vest, 6 disc CD player with full surround sound..."

I wave at pretty much everyone (if I'm not playing with the gadgets on the bike and see them before they ride past). Most of them wave back. I don't care if they wave back or not. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Try this.

http://www.1-800-espresso.com/velox-12v-maker-7027.html

I wave at every bike I pass wave.gif

I usually try not to take my focus off what's ahead of me,

and therefore hardly ever look to see if it's returned,

not that it matters.

I'm just a friendly, neighborly guy I guess grin.gif

The wave virtually died out in the UK some time back, we just nod at each other now, it keeps your hand on the steering bit grin.gifgrin.gif

MrHondamatic

I wave at everyone on a bike. I get no response from the clueless "ape" hanging on his apehangers. But then there is a guy on a K bike, we pass each other often, who uses his entire arm while waving, and that always makes me smile. He has it figured out. clap.gif

I always laugh at the guy wih his fist up in the air, elbow bent. Yeah, right on bro!! This guy needs to keep his hand on the grip.

ISYHTRAH

Matts_12GS

I used to tape a starbucks menu under the lid of my trunk on the RT and use "Frothing a latte" as my excuse for running behind the squids...

I don't care if they wave back or not. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Well I wave too. But I'm darn right indignant if I don't get a freakin' wave back. I just might chase ya down... "What would it take t'just stick two freakin' fingers out? HUH? (insert Scarface voice ) Look atchoo now!!"

That bit about the Ural riders is true, dammit.

If a Ural could be coaxed to 75 or god forbid 80 in a long straight line I'd own one already.

I was so disappointed on my test drive. So cool, yet with a huge fundamental flaw.

Funny, but in my neck of the woods it's the HD guys who you can count on most for the wave back....'course in my neck of the woods it's mostly HD guys riding. LOL

When I ride with my women's club I notice about 3/4 of us wave. (we're mostly on cruisers, but of various types) I have ridden with a local BMW group a few times and just about none of them waved.

Go figure.

Personally, I wave at everyone, or at least nod if I'm in the middle of a curve or something. In fact, I wave so much that on the rides over to the grandparentals (in the cage) to pick up our son after a ride, I catch myself STILL waving. I'm such a dork.

Must be 'cause I'm a girl. ;)

Archived