IGNORED

Missing the 1st to 2nd shift...RID shows 2nd gear ?

E30TECH

Yesterday while tooling around, I happened to miss the 1st to 2nd shift - or so I thought....

When I shifted, it felt normal, until I released the clutch and rolled the throttle and the RPMs shot up. I looked at the RID and it showed 2nd gear. I kicked the shifter up again, and it went to 3rd.

I'm curious as to what happened - anyone have an idea?

I've missed shifts before, mainly 1st - 2nd and the RID is always quick to show "O". I don't ever recall it being off by one count though.

I used to have/find false neutrals all the time on my harleys but haven't experienced that on my BMW yet.

Sorry I can't help ya with this problem.

duckbubbles

If it's a one time thing, probably not a problem. I've missed many shifts in my time. The indicator usually indicates "O" or is blank. Haven't seen a "2". The shift drum might have moved enough to put the gear indicator switch into 2 without actually shifting far enough to engage 2nd. If it continues to happen it would indicate the start of a problem. Probably worn shift drum/fork.

Frank

The shift drum might have moved enough to put the gear indicator switch into 2 without actually shifting far enough to engage 2nd.

That is sort of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure of the terminology (shift drum).

I only have 10K on it, so I hope it is not a wear thing. I miss the shift from time to time, but this is the 1st time I noticed it said "2" instead of "0" on the missed shift.

Thanks for the replies

I have the same thing happen to me all the time. Same scenario, "tooling around". If you just our cruising your make very soft movements and inputs. The shift from 1st - 2nd is larger then 2nd - 6th. You need to be aware to fully bring your foot up the full stroke length of the shifter. Others have said, "Pre-load the shifter, just before disengaging the clutch." Both practices will work. I just never liked the feeling of the pre-load.

Snowy.

If the problem seems like the tranny is actually shifting OK, but the RID is wrong, the most likely culprit is the gear position switch on the rear of the tranny.

If the problem seems like the tranny is actually shifting OK, but the RID is wrong, the most likely culprit is the gear position switch on the rear of the tranny.

+1 on the potentiometer being the culprit

PIA to get to.

Archived