IGNORED

If I won the lottery...What would I choose?

Bheckel169

Bheckel169

So, I've been having this reoccurring dream about walking into an HD store and looking at touring bikes. A beautiful, richly endowed lady sales associate attends to me. She has numerous tattoos located at strategically placed locations which is a major distraction and I'm hard put to concentrate on the bike of my dreams. She tells me that I can take any bike for a test ride and she'd be happy to show me a few roads to venture out on. This is where I always wake up because my dream has been shattered by reading recent threads on some of the current problems associated with the newer HD models, so now my dream is more focused on the woman as I shape her into many different appearances each night and.... well ok, it's not like I'm the only married guy to fantasize so back to the bike dilemma. I own a 06 1200 RT and love it. So, based on that premise, I'm trying to figure out what kind of yang would suit my yin. Being 60 yrs of age, I'm not leaning towards dirt, so I'll have to nix that particular bike, but what would you see as a complimentary bike to my RT? There is no right answer, just looking for opinions and please feel free to express yourself because, in a sense you're expressing your image of the perfect compliment to an RT. All shapes and sizes are open for discussion.

Bruce

You'll want something that is the antithesis of BMW's practicality, handling and performance.

May I suggest the '08 Harley FXCWC Softail "Rocker" (this is a leaked photo - the actual announcement is not until Sunday)

FXCWC.jpg

Well since the dirt is out and you are moving to some great M/C roads in western N.C. I would go for a nice canyon carver that is light and fun to ride. Maybe an air cooled Monster would be a nice place to start.

Umm, very nice! What do you think makes this particular bike the one, in your eyes?

Bruce

It's obviously not suited for touring, with a 240" rear, it's not going to be a canyon carver, the limited suspension will not make it an ironbutt contender, no storage, blah blah blah. But, this looks like a bike that you could just jump on and have a total blast with if your ride requirements are minimal - for instance, cruising on a Sunday afternoon, etc.

In short, it's the Harley Ying to BMW's Yang. If I could only own one bike, this wouldn't be it. But if I wanted something that was a total change of pace from a BMW, this would be on my short list.

FlyingFinn

Ducati Hypermotard.

Zero overlap with the RT and guaranteed to make you feel 20 years younger :-)

013.jpg

--

Mikko

Bheckel169

Do you know what would happen if I put my knee down like that kid in the picture? There would be pieces and parts strewn all across the racetrack, but it does look like fun. Do they have suits to fit a gut?

Bruce

Bruce

My buddy Werner in Asheville has been dying for a Monster. The two of you are about the same age so I thought about the Monster. Good upright seating position, great handling, lightweight, and fun in the twisties. There are enough corners around your soon to be new home to keep you busy for at least a year or so.

Bheckel169

I noticed that Aprilia is now offering a lease program for their bikes. I wonder if that's a trend and if that would eventually apply to some of the Italian bike manufacturers who are trying to carve out a little more market in the U.S.

A Duc would be kinda fun I'm thinking, but I'm open to other suggestions too. Oh, and by the way, I didn't win the lottery, so don't all of you start contacting me and hitting me up for a loan.

Bruce

Bheckel169

Ok, If I can find some other old farts who want to do this, I'm up for it! I may be 60, but I'm a young 60 and I don't actually have a gut. I'm lean and mean and doing some racetrack time on this machine sounds good. Put the race armor on and do it. So if we could get maybe a dozen guys who have never done something like this or have tried it a few years back and are up for it, we could find a track and congregate there for a group meet and party. I think maybe a group soak in the hot tub after each day will be just the thing. We'll call it the Hypomotard Shaken, But Not Stirred Rally.

Bruce

Ok, If I can find some other old farts who want to do this, I'm up for it! I may be 60, but I'm a young 60 and I don't actually have a gut. I'm lean and mean and doing some racetrack time on this machine sounds good. Put the race armor on and do it. So if we could get maybe a dozen guys who have never done something like this or have tried it a few years back and are up for it, we could find a track and congregate there for a group meet and party. I think maybe a group soak in the hot tub after each day will be just the thing. We'll call it the Hypomotard Shaken, But Not Stirred Rally.

Bruce

Why am I getting a mental picture of "Wild Hogs"?

Bheckel169

I promise not to burn down the local biker bar. But, when you realize what the average age is now for bikers, they're flirting with their 50's and I'm on the cutting edge.

Bruce

I promise not to burn down the local biker bar. But, when you realize what the average age is now for bikers, they're flirting with their 50's and I'm on the cutting edge.

Bruce

Understood.

Tell ya' what - I'll supply the umbrella girls.

Golden-Girls-tv-show-21.jpg

lmao.gif

Bheckel169

Didn't I mention earlier about my dream of being shown an HD by a voluptuous Harley Salesperson (lady)? Just because I'm older doesn't mean I want to have a liaison with Betty White!

Bruce

Didn't I mention earlier about my dream of being shown an HD by a voluptuous Harley Salesperson (lady)? Just because I'm older doesn't mean I want to have a liaison with Betty White!

Bruce

You said (and I quote), "...A beautiful, richly endowed lady sales associate attends to me..." You did not mention age.

Ok, I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Bheckel169

Oh, that may have been a literary faux pax. Not that I think Betty White is all that bad, but geez, she's got to be almost 90! I do have my reputation to uphold.

Bruce

FlyingFinn
Not that I think Betty White is all that bad...

Bruce

Ok, I think we have to have a vote on this.

--

Mikko

How about a different direction: Triumph Bonneville T100? Good bike for Summer with no fairing or shield; easy in traffic, classic looks (especially for someone our age), not hard to wrench on, much more of a pop on and ride bike for the quick trips to the store. It's not meant for two-up or long trips, although it could handle both with some discomfort.

To me, it was the bike I lusted after as a youth. Well, okay, it was really a Norton Commando but that was mostly the girls in the ads. Anyway, Triumph makes a very retro-look bike with much better reliability.

If I was going naked, it wouldn't be with Ducati's outdated and underpowered Monster. A Triumph 1050 Speed Triple with aftermarket exhaust would be in my garage faster than a fast thing...

Linz

How 'bout answering this one, Bruce.

What do you enjoy doing on a motorcycle that you enjoy doing least aboard the RT?

Answer that, and focus your search in the direction of your answer.

BluesTraveler

I'd do things a little different if I was to win the lottery. I've mentioned this to many of my friends when this has come up in conversation.

If I won I'd buy all my friends new bikes. Just one and I'd get to choose what they got. It would be something fun and I'd get to pick it.

And not one of them would complain with my choice. grin.gif

Bheckel169

How 'bout answering this one, Bruce.

What do you enjoy doing on a motorcycle that you enjoy doing least aboard the RT?

Answer that, and focus your search in the direction of your answer.

I had to think about this a little to sort through things I enjoy on the RT and things I enjoy on the RT but are a pain. I want more wind on my face. There is 0 air movement on my RT with the Aeroflow screen. Even when all the way down it's negligible. Lighter weight would be appealing and just being able to hop on and go for a quick ride without all the preparation I seem to require to go on a ride on the RT. I'd love to see 27 to 27 1/2 inches from seat to ground like on a cruiser. Even with a low seat on my RT, I'm not quite flat footed and the center of gravity is a bit high on the RT. I guess that's it. The RT is so nimble compared to my old Vulcan cruisers, I'm not sure what else is out there.

Bruce

Archived