IGNORED

Adjusting shift lever on 02 K12RS

Moosedog

Does anyone know (silly question on here, I know) how to adjust the shift lever so it is a bit higher and easier to get a motorcycle boot under it without having to dislocate my ankle?

If the linkage looks like the one on my LT, you need to disassemble the shift linkage (those little pins are neat fasteners), move the jam nuts in,screw the ball joints down a bit further. The hard part is getting it all to miraculously fit back together and line up properly. Not fun at all.

In the end, its probably easier to take the belt sander and make your foot thinner. dopeslap.gif

Are your pegs in the lower position?

Pegs are in the lowest position. I tried the belt sander and while my toes are certainly shinier, they are no thinner tongue.gif

I have a pair of Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof boots and didn't think they were that thick in the toe. Does anyone else have this problem getting there boot under the shifter?

Pegs are in the lowest position. I tried the belt sander and while my toes are certainly shinier, they are no thinner tongue.gif

I have a pair of Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof boots and didn't think they were that thick in the toe. Does anyone else have this problem getting there boot under the shifter?

No but I have the pegs in the highest position (for max clearance)

No but I have the pegs in the highest position (for max clearance)

I will have to look closely at the shift lever/footpeg relationship tomorrow. I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that by having the footpeg higher it offers MORE clearance for the toe of the boot under the shift lever. Seems like the opposite would be true.................

Sorry I did not make my self clearer....

Pegs in the hi position for maximum peg/ground clearance in the corners.

No issues with boots.

Not totally sure it will help you, but on my R1100R I had the same issue and adjusted the shifter higher to give more clearance.

It is not that hard, just be sure to remove the little circle-pins and adjust away... put the pins back when done. No problem.

OK- I went outside and looked at my K12RS... the lever is attached to am arm with an Allen-head screw. My owners manual says to loosen that set screw and move it to the higher position then tighten the screw.

Apparently there are two positions. Up and down.

OK- I went outside and looked at my K12RS... the lever is attached to am arm with an Allen-head screw. My owners manual says to loosen that set screw and move it to the higher position then tighten the screw.

Apparently there are two positions. Up and down.

I tried this last week thinking it was a simple fix, but when the lever was off there was no alternate position - no up or down - that I could see. Could it be the difference between the model years of your bike vs mine?

Archived