IGNORED

Rode a Connie 14 this morning

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Kawasaki's got a winner in my book.

My friend picked up one of the only two C14s in Tucson this morning. In fact the only one with ABS, the remaining one (still in the crate) did not have ABS. He threw me the RFID fob, said put that in your pocket and take her for a spin. What could I say. I just smiled and took off. Initial impression? That is one sweet ride. thumbsup.gif It felt surprisingly light and nimble compared to the RT, and the power. Holy crap! When you twist the throttle there is a noticeable roll on that I'm sure is only miliseconds, but once it starts cookin', it seems limitless. On the downside, the windshield is way too small as I was getting a face full of wind even with the shiled fully extended. In my short review, the only other negative I noticed was a small molded in glove box on top of the gas tank that was made out of the thinnest, cheapest plastic I have ever seen. Two weeks in the sun and that thing is going to crumble. This was disturbing considering the look and feel of the rest of the bike. It makes you wonder where else they might have cut corners.

I feel really lucky having gotten a chance to ride one, because ther is no way the dealers around here are giving test rides. You either want it, or you don't. My friend said that he was fifth on the list, but the first one to show up with cash, so off he rode without even a test ride. He is replacing his 97 Concourse, so no doubt he will be extremely pleased.

When it comes time to sell the RT, it's gonna be a very tough call. I am more than willing to wait for the next model year so that they have time to find and work out any bugs. If this thing holds up under scrutiny (gas mileage, handking, etc.), and if they add cruise and a bigger windshield, I think I know where my next $14K is going.

For now I think I'll just go out and break in my brand new Z6.

I was looking at the specs on this bike yesterday. What is the quoted horsepower? The torque spec looked great.

The Kawi UK website, which has the full specs, shows HP as 114 kw, which is 153 HP, according to the kw to HP conversion tool I looked up. If that's right, it's virtually the same as the K12GT.

The UK site also shows a series of accessories, one of which is a larger windscreen. You can check it here:

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/1400gtr/

This morning I was fulfilling my duty as a member of the Friday Morning Donut Club and as I walked into the local donut shop some guy I've never met before walks up to me and asks if that's my Beemer outside (I'm wearing my riding jacket, carrying a helmet and there are only two bikes in the lot). So I play nice by keeping the obvious wise a$$ comments to myself and acknowledge that "Yes, that is my beemer."

Well he introduces himself as the owner of a brand new C14 and begins to go on and on about his new bike which is just two weeks old. In short, I got a full blown report from front to back, top to bottom and inside out. He walked me thru all the features and spec's on that bike. His excitement and enthusiasm reminded me of a kid with his favorite present on Christmas day.

Now for the report. Contrary reports in other threads, this bike has LOTS of power - or at least when compared to the older Connie he traded in. Seat comfort is excellent (better than the Corbin on the prior Connie). Perhaps the C14 doesn't have Harley-like stump pulling torque at low RPM, but there's now shortage once the RPM start to climb.

The on-board computer with the dash display has all the regular stat's, but my favorite was the tire pressure reading for each tire.

With the C14, there is no longer a need for an ignition key. Simply push a button and the bike's electrical system is powered on. Push the starter button and the engine jumps to life. Twist the throttle and the engine's purr gradually turns into a growl. Very nice sound!

While going thru the many stat's of the onboard computer, the fuel economy flashed by - 35 mpg. Yes, thirty five MPG was what he had been averaging. I didn't push for details on how he was riding (breaking in? dopeslap.gif) the bike, but I don't think I've ever been below 42 on my RT!

The so-called glove box on top of the tank does appear cheap and is a shame 'cuz it detracts from the rest of the bike. The glove box on this bike wouldn't open, and based on the words being used it seems this isn't the first time it wouldn't open.

The only other "issue" mentioned about the C14 was with the rear brake - he felt it was much too soft. Perhaps this is just a different feel from the older Connie's rear brake, or perhaps this brake will just require a bit more effort. In any case he was going back to the dealer to get it working better.

Bottom line, this guy was clearly in love with his new bike. In his words, the handling, acceleration and ride were excellent and far superior to his old Connie. Fit and finish appeared to be good - but time will tell. And finally, regarding the exhaust system, IMHO it looks much better in person than in pictures - but that's just the opinion of a person who also finds boxers to be appealing!

So if you're lookin' for a new ride, I think you'd do yourself a disservice by not checking out the new Connie. clap.gif

In his words, the handling, acceleration and ride were excellent and far superior to his old Connie.
Well I certainly hope it would be superior to a bike designed over 20 years ago.
sebjones906

Was in a dealer today. The Connie and the FJR were sitting right next to each other for comparisons. Surprisingly the seating on the FJR was noticeablly lower and the saddle bags will hold more. The Connie was priced $900 less. Food for thought lurker.gif

I'd never get one just because everyone keeps calling it "Connie." tongue.gif

Yes, but just think of the play on words you can have with that: "Sorry I'm late for work boss, I was out riding Connie & we just couldn't stop" lmao.gif

When it comes time to sell the RT, it's gonna be a very tough call. I am more than willing to wait for the next model year so that they have time to find and work out any bugs. If this thing holds up under scrutiny (gas mileage, handking, etc.), and if they add cruise and a bigger windshield, I think I know where my next $14K is going.

For now I think I'll just go out and break in my brand new Z6.

I was at the Kaw dealer this A.M. In speaking with the sales rep who sold 4 to people here I asked him about feedback. He told me that all of the riders liked them except for not having options and the w/s was not adequate. He said that fuel use reported was 33 MPG in the curves and sweepers with 45-48 on the highway. Now I am not certain of his credibility, however, I have no reason to doubt him. What may be telling is the bike rags opinions. The latest MCN report said it had the FJR beat, but not sure the BMW would succumb to it...report still pending.

Considering the other mode of transportation fondly called a "Connie", I don't think it's too disparaging of a name...

170542852-M.jpg

ghaverkamp

I was at the Kaw dealer this A.M. In speaking with the sales rep who sold 4 to people here I asked him about feedback. He told me that all of the riders liked them except for not having options and the w/s was not adequate. He said that fuel use reported was 33 MPG in the curves and sweepers with 45-48 on the highway. Now I am not certain of his credibility, however, I have no reason to doubt him. What may be telling is the bike rags opinions. The latest MCN report said it had the FJR beat, but not sure the BMW would succumb to it...report still pending.

Those numbers sound very respectable to me. Better than my K12RS and with a larger tank. Cruise control and a fin removal option are the only negatives at this early date that I've seen, pending more word on the heat issue.

I even sort of like the big muffler, both on this and the K1200S; maybe, to my surprise, I have a thing for big cans. To me, seat and windscreen reviews tend to be too personal to be worth anything.

Feels like a good time to be into sport-touring. Would be better if I had a budget line item for sport-touring.

Bill_Walker
Considering the other mode of transportation fondly called a "Connie", I don't think it's too disparaging of a name...

170542852-M.jpg

And then there's this "Connie":

cv64conn.jpg

USS Constellation

... What may be telling is the bike rags opinions. The latest MCN report said it had the FJR beat, but not sure the BMW would succumb to it...report still pending.
Hmmmm, guess it depends which BMW they were referring to. IMO the boxers are a very different animal, power and riding position (ergo's?) of the new Connie seems much more like the new K12's.

Archived