IGNORED

Engine bars for 2006 R1200RT

DUBLINCHRIS

DUBLINCHRIS

Friend of mine is picking up an R1200RT 2006 next week and was wondering if there are any form of engine bars available for the RT. Not looking for the plastic head protectors or the Touratech metal head protectors prefers bars. Anyone got any pointers?

gettysburg

Both Wunderlich and Touratech make engine protection bars. I've had both and I prefer the Touratech bars(on my current RT). My previous RT was totalled(along with the Wunderlich bars)

The Touratech bars are stainless steel with a bead-blasted finish(satin look). The Wunderlich come in chrome plated or silver powder-coat finish. I had the Powder-coated bars and the finish didn't hold up very well; lots of stone chips.

The Touratech bars appear to provide better protection than the Wunderlich bars, but at the expense of a few degrees of lean-angle(not a concern for me)

DUBLINCHRIS

Many thanks for the information. We had picked up on the cylinder head guards but missed the actual "BARS".

Would agree with comments about the powder coated finish and stone chips, the stainless steel Touratech seem the business. One more question - Is there any need for cylinder head guards when bars are fitted?

Are the guards just for stones etc?

Regards

DublinChris

gettysburg

Is there any need for cylinder head guards when bars are fitted?

At least with the Touratech bars, there's no added protection from a drop. I suppose you would some added protection against rock chips. However, it's one more thing the BMW tech will need to remove/re-istall when you bring your bike in for service, and they will charge you for their time.

Dave_in_TX
Is there any need for cylinder head guards when bars are fitted?

At least with the Touratech bars, there's no added protection from a drop. I suppose you would some added protection against rock chips. However, it's one more thing the BMW tech will need to remove/re-istall when you bring your bike in for service, and they will charge you for their time.

Do the Touratech bars need to be removed for servicing the bike?

I believe they do. I prefer the Wunderlich..They do not..

gettysburg

I believe they do. I prefer the Wunderlich..They do not..

I think that really depends on a particular dealer or tech. When I had the Wunderlich bars, my 6,000mi. service invoice indicated that they bars had to be removed(w/charge)

I've done a 6,000 and 12,000 mile service since installing the Wunderlich bars. Not sure why they would remove them, they are not in the way at all.

...Not sure why they would remove them, they are not in the way at all.

In my experience, when a dealer has an opportunity to hear the "cha-ching" of the cash register...they take it. Sounds like that is the case here.

If your friend intends to install the Remus header, the Wunderlich bars will not fit without being bent to clear the headers. Seems that along with being slightly larger, the Remus headers come down at slightly different angle, interfering with the Wunderlich bars. I had to bend the lower portion of the bars and add a couple of spacers on right side. The left just needed a little bending.

Buckster.

+1 on the Wunderlichs, I can attest that they provide complete protection to mirrors, handlebar ends, and of course cylinders in the event of a low-speed drop tongue.gif . Nothing touched down except the side case frown.gif and the crash bars. However the scratches to the sidecase were all on the lower angled side, and not all the way up the case as they were the FIRST time with no bars installed. dopeslap.gif I might add that lifting the R12RT back upright was much easier with the resting lean angle reduced by the bars, and they were unhurt except for scratches. AND--see attachment--they make a great place to mount HIGHWAY PEGS clap.gif

889718-z003a.thumb.jpg.e09b012461492e8655922e94c4c15ec6.jpg

• 1 month later...

I purchased TT bars for mine and just did the install yesterday. The quality is great...only problem is my elf pegs don't open bncry.gif

Looking at the website and catalogues, it does not show the spark plug hole being covered. Looks like I will be buying the wunderlich

Bill

I purchased TT bars for mine and just did the install yesterday. The quality is great...only problem is my elf pegs don't open bncry.gif Looking at the website and catalogues, it does not show the spark plug hole being covered. Looks like I will be buying the wunderlich

I too ran into the same issue.. Since the Elf pags are invaluable on long rides, I have a set of Tour Tech engine bars for sale, 1\2 of retail if anyone is interested..

TinMan.

Why not send them back?

That is what I intend to do...there is no mention in their ads about " These will not fit with "some" foot rests". One look at pics in the catalog and I said, "no problem"

I purchased TT bars for mine and just did the install yesterday. The quality is great...only problem is my elf pegs don't open bncry.gif

Looking at the website and catalogues, it does not show the spark plug hole being covered. Looks like I will be buying the wunderlich

Bill

I TOLD ya'll to buy the Wunderlichs! lmao.gif (3 posts up).

But seriously, just looked at my 07 R1200RT and the Elf pegs should work fine with them. The lower bar is a good 4" below the spark plug channel--nothing in the way.

I thought the same, until I purchased and installed the TT bars.. You are right, from the profile the spark plug hole is nt covered by the engine bars.. But the Sahara (Elf) pegs run in to the bars when you try to open them fully.. Note how the side engine bar runs at an angle..

TinMan.

expereinced the efficiency of the Wunderlich bars, they did their job BUT I did get scratches on the sidecase and I do not believe that the side case protectors would have helped, they are so high up. It all happened at parking lot speed turning, a classic.

Going to add the side case protectors though now.

h dopeslap.gif

I TOLD ya'll to buy the Wunderlichs! lmao.gif (3 posts up).

But seriously, just looked at my 07 R1200RT and the Elf pegs should work fine with them. The lower bar is a good 4" below the spark plug channel--nothing in the way.

Thought the TT's were the way to go.....stainless bar compared to powder coated which will probably chip crazy.gif

OH Well

I thought the same, until I purchased and installed the TT bars.. You are right, from the profile the spark plug hole is nt covered by the engine bars.. But the Sahara (Elf) pegs run in to the bars when you try to open them fully.. Note how the side engine bar runs at an angle..

TinMan.

No no--I HAVE Wunderlichs on my RT--thats what I'm telling you about. They will not interfere with Elf pegs. Sorry if I wasn't clear. confused.gif

I purchased TT bars for mine and just did the install yesterday. The quality is great...only problem is my elf pegs don't open bncry.gif Looking at the website and catalogues, it does not show the spark plug hole being covered. Looks like I will be buying the wunderlich

I too ran into the same issue.. Since the Elf pags are invaluable on long rides, I have a set of Tour Tech engine bars for sale, 1\2 of retail if anyone is interested..

TinMan.

Damn! Where were you yesterday??!!

Is anyone using these side case protectors? How do they attach to the case?

I had a 0 MPH drop - the Wunderlich bars did their job but the side case took some heavy scratches.

thanks,

Steve

Is anyone using these side case protectors? How do they attach to the case?

I had a 0 MPH drop - the Wunderlich bars did their job but the side case took some heavy scratches.

thanks,

Steve

Side case protectors are held on with foam adhesive strips. Be sure to thoroughly clean lid before applying the protectors.

When I installed mine, I positioned them a little higher up than the instructions suggested. Mostly to over up an existing scratch, but I think they offer more protection. I basically lined them up with the crease on the lid. Instructions have the placed an inch or more below the crease.

I had the bike roll off the center stand once and the case protectors worked like a charm.

Archived