IGNORED

GXM-30 Miserable reception

CT_Rider

I am on my second GXM-30 and have tried them both on the Zumo 550 and the Garmin 2730. On the bike I mount it with Velcro on the right handlebar and the reception is fair. Solid reception on an open highway. But if I pass under a tree it pretty much drops out half the time.

In the car it is unusable. The unit is on the dash under the windshield and away from the wipers. If I even look at a tree the signal drops out. If there are clouds even in the 5-day forecast, can't get through a single song.

Seeing posts of users mounting theirs in tank bags and under Tupperware is astonishing to me. Anyone else have similar experience?

chrisolson

Similar mounting location, similar or even worse results. eek.gif Sirius never faded and the sound quality was better too ! Wish the Zumo supported Sirius ...

I have mine on my headlight and the reception is great. In my car, it is only on my dashboard, and the reception is great. In fact, the reception is much better than the Roady 2 that I used to have. Are you sure the problem is not something else?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have mine mounted on the right handlebar and have had no problems. Of course, in the desert, no clouds or trees.

I have mine in the tank bag. Around Atlanta, never a problem, but of course we have repeaters.

up in the GA mountains, and all the way to McMinnville, Tn, with lots of mountains road and tree cover, maybe lost a signal for a few minutes total.

I have always heard (maybe folk lore) that XM gets better reception in the west and SE. And midwest and NE suffers. I wonder if that is true.

I have mine mounted with velcro on the brake reservoir on the right handlebar. I dont have many problems unless the tree coverage is very dense.

I just used it in my truck going to Maine. I wedged it between the dash and glass. I didn't have much trouble.

I wonder if you need to reset your antenna? I believe there is a way to do this on their website.

I'm curious to see how rdsmith3 has his mounted to his headlight.

ShovelStrokeEd

I really don't have any issues with my GXM-30. I use it in conjunction with my 2730 and I have gotten far better reception than my SkiFi or Roady II ever provided.

Antenna is mounted on a plate that shares the mount for the GPS. Just inside and forward of my clutch master cylinder. Never a loss of reception or cutout in Florida, even with severe storms to my south. A little problem when running on 28 up in the Deal's Gap area under a tunnel of trees and on the wrong side of the mountain but I expected that, hell, even regular FM radio has trouble along there.

Check the windscreen in your cage, if it has a metal grid imbedded within, it will severely impair reception. Try taking the antenna and sticking it up on the roof. Routing the wire past your weather strip towards the inside of the door. It won't compromise the seal and the huge ground plane will certainly improve reception.

I have had mine here since I got it and the worst reception was in Georgia around Deal's Gap where the tree coverage was extreme...mind you my focus was elsewhere 99% of the time blush.gif.

Jim

Click to enlarge:

img9778ot5.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics006mg9.th.jpg

You keep teasing me with pictures of this....

r12rtworkingpics006mg9.jpg

Tell you what Perry...if you remind me in the autumn I will take some time and make up a few. It could be a little 'off season' accessory job.

I'm having enough 'fun' keeping up with the requests for the GPS mount, never mind the antenna mount tongue.gif.

Since our season is rather short here by the majority of the board members standards I have to cram in as much mileage as possible, just to keep from jonesing in the winter, wave.gif.

Jim

Tell you what Perry...if you remind me in the autumn I will take some time and make up a few. It could be a little 'off season' accessory job.

Marked on the calander.

thumbsup.gif

I have a naked bike -- a Roadster -- so it is extremely easy to do that. I simply place it on the headlight housing. It moved around a little, so I did secure it with velcro.

You cannot even really see it in this picture, but it is there.

166404192-M.jpg

I have a naked bike -- a Roadster --

Stupid me - I was wondering how you mounted it to an RT headlight grin.gif

I didn't notice your tage line before I started picturing what it would look like....

Archived