IGNORED

Rick Mayer Saddles

jbr7t

Anybody had experience with Rick Mayer saddles? I was reading the website and they look pretty nice. Input would be great! Thanks.

mountainred

Best modification I had ever made on a motorcycle. I rode up there and had it fit to my ST, which as everyone who owns one knows, the factory seat is a nut cracker. My brother had his done too. The prices are good too.

good service and the seat is beautifully made. I don't think that the seat is as comfortable as a Russell Day Long. If I had to do it again I think I would look at a Russell.

I've had one made for my R1200c and it came out real nice. Good craftsmanship, it was way better then stock but I don't think it was worth the money that I spent.

The wife and I did a "Ride In" appointment. It was VERY PLEASANT experience. And the ride back home was much more enjoyable than the ride down there.

With the "Comfort Seat", I could go for about 1 1/2 hours and I had to stop. Now I can go for as long as I want (well, older people have to stop at about 2 hours anyway). The important thing is, when I get back on after the break, it's like the first time of the day.

However you look at it, it is a vast improvement for me.

I have been pleased with mine. He is great to work with, and just a nice guy. thumbsup.gif He used to hang-out on this board in the early days, I don't know if he still does or what he calls himself now.

We've been riding in ours for about a year now. (My 650 GS and Matt's 1150 RT) Wow! What a difference over the stock seat. We opted for the vinyl. Rick does a great job and the seat pan swap worked out perfect for us. Highly recommended!

Since you mention that you went with vinyl. I have been looking at the vinyl vs. leather. It seems like the leather is a bit "nicer" but does look like it takes quite a bit of TLC. Any comments to that end?

I went with the vinyl because of that and the cost. More hassle and more cost didn't make sense for me.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I went with the Vinyl also. I don't like the idea of dealing with a wet leather seat. Anyway, I really like my Rick Meyer seat on my R1200RT. I've had 4 Russel seats on previous bikes, and this time decided to try Rick Meyer--for me it's every bit as comfortable. I think if you're a heavy-weight, the spring support in the Russel seat would work better. I weigh about 175 and the Meyer seat is perfect.

Since you mention that you went with vinyl. I have been looking at the vinyl vs. leather. It seems like the leather is a bit "nicer" but does look like it takes quite a bit of TLC. Any comments to that end?

I like the look and feel of leather but went with the vinyl because it's easier to care for. If it gets wet, just wipe it off. After this last trip and 300+ miles one day in pouring rain, I knew it was the right decision.

I have a Rick Mayer seat on my RT. Its ok and the price was much better than a Russell (about half the cost). Rick did adjust it once and it is much better that the first one he sent me. I have a Russell on my K1100LT and on a really long days its more comfortable. I got the basket weave vinyl on the Mayer, really like the look.

Rick makes excellent saddles and his prices are quite fair. I had him make one for my R1200ST and I'm very happy with it. It's a huge improvement over stock.

I ordered my Rick Mayer with basketweave vinyl. I've previously had leather seats (Corbin) and while they held up well, I made it a practice to regularly use leather conditioner on them. Leather does require some additional care, but it's not a huge deal--maybe five or ten minutes of effort every couple months. However, if you often ride in rain, leather's probably not optimal--you have to let it dry slowly after getting wet, and it will require much more frequent conditioning.

Since I always wear leather or Cordura riding pants, the slightly better breathability of a leather seat is not a concern. If you ride wearing jeans or lighter weight pants, you might notice that leather's a bit cooler. If the costs were equal, I'd probably have ordered leather, but there's such a huge difference in price that I just couldn't justify it (this time around crazy.gif).

I ordered, and just received a vinyl seat for my GS. When I took it out of the box I could see damage to the leading edges of the seat (photo attached). The vinyl was split on both sides and whatever white stuffing Rick uses was showing through. I called Rick and he suggested I call Fed Ex as he suspects the damage happened in shipping. Looking at the box, it is damaged, but I also noticed that the box is not much longer than the seat, so there couldn't be much padding (moveable popcorn) on the very vulnerable leading (sharp) edge, so I think a larger box and maybe some bubble wrap in that specific spot would be helpful.

Rick assured me that it would be taken care of, but I wonder how much longer I'll have to wait. They received my original order on May 1st.

I'm also concerned that the next seat could get damaged by me or someone else during maintenance, so I asked Rick if he leather is more durable. He said it is, so now I have to decide if it's worth the risk to stay with vinyl, or pay more and have the extra care for the leather.

891781-RM-Damage.jpg.0507f4fb88473572e3e818935c2add25.jpg

I've had exceptional luck with Corbin. They pack their seats in boxes and then foam around them so there is no (or very, very little) chance of shipping damage.

I got the leather and like it. Minimal maintenance.

Same here. I bought leather for my R1200RT at a ride-in appointment last January.

Rick was pretty neutral on the vinyl vs. leather decision. He would generally recommend vinyl for wet climates, etc.

He does provide a leather dressing that is supposed to be non-slippery. But he forgot to give it to me... And I forgot to ask.

The seat? WAY better than stock. clap.gif

Just got my Rick Mayer saddle and am going for a long ride today. Will evaluate after that. I ordered leather and love it. So far just on short rides and after the bike was sitting in the sun all day, the leather is much cooler than my Corbin vynal basket weeve was. The workmanship looks great. thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

Rick will tell you that if you're a fat guy (more than 230-240 lbs) you might want to think about a Russell seat with the springs instead of a Meyer (either brother) seat with foam. I loved my Rick Meyer seat when I was about 220, but it's not as comfy at 250.

I had one on my '02 GS and I could ride all day. With the stock seat I could only go about 2 hours. I already have one ordered for my '07 RT.

Mike

892735-Mayer.jpg.d5a2e7a8c59d87ca32547b3ee800edc3.jpg

Rick assured me that it would be taken care of, but I wonder how much longer I'll have to wait. They received my original order on May 1st.

now I have to decide if it's worth the risk to stay with vinyl, or pay more and have the extra care for the leather.

I ordered a rider and pillion for my RT a couple of years ago at about the same time of year as you did.

I think I waited till sometime in August before finally receiving the seat. frown.gif It's rally season, and he mentioned this when I placed the order...he said it would take awhile but it took alot longer than I expected.

He had a booth at the rally in West Bend last week. I had a chance to talk to him briefly. He builds a quality product, and he's a nice fella to boot.

Aside from the wait, the seat is terrific. I went with leather and the maintenance has not been a big deal.

Jim VonBaden

I just ordered a RM saddle at the MOA Rally. I sat in one from a 25K rider who went round the world, and was about my size.

It was nirvana! thumbsup.gif

My GF just ordered a similar saddle for he ST.

I am eagerly awaiting delivery!

Jim cool.gif

Like Ken, my recent experience has been less than stellar. I am hopeful that Rick will make it right, but so far I have had a really hard time getting any return correspondance from their office.

After sending my order and check they emailed me a estimated start date, but said they had not recieved my deposit check. I was pretty sure I sent one, but I could be wrong. I had to call several times over a week before anyone returned my call to say they did in fact have the check. Then my lovely wife wanted to upgrade me to leather for Father's Day, but she had a hard time getting through for a week.

Now my seat arrives a month after the expected build date and it's MUCH taller than my current seat, and there was NO rear seat included at all! No note or explanation was included - perhaps it will ship later? Perhaps they just forgot it? I have no idea. Calls to the shop have gone unreturned again this week.

I understand it's a busy time and I think Rick is on the road at Rallys now, but a little communication would go a long way. I emailed Rick and did get a short email back, but it didn't address any of my concerns and said to call the office. So I wait.

Update to follow.

Mike

A while back Rick had a track day accident, which put him behind schedule. He seems to be recovered and is on the rally circuit again (I saw him at the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day Oregon).

I think his seat is great. The service is generally quite good, and if you buy a used bike with one of his seats he will rebuild it for a pretty nominal amount.

His home shop in NorCal is a gathering place for riders, and in the midst of good riding country. Going there for the personal touch is a nice way to do it if you can. When I was there, he loaned me a stock seat so I could ride while he worked.

I understand it's a busy time and I think Rick is on the road at Rallys now, but a little communication would go a long way. I emailed Rick and did get a short email back, but it didn't address any of my concerns and said to call the office. So I wait.

Update to follow.

Mike

I think he answers email much quicker than returning phone calls, so that's how I've been handling things lately.

RichEdwards

I scheduled my build date (August 16) on the phone with Kendra at Rick Mayer's. She was quite helpful and sent me samples of the two vinyl choices in two days. So far, so good on service.

I have called twice this week and Kendra answered the phone on the first ring both times?

So she's there, just not returning my messages from early in the week. frown.gif

I know most of you have been happy, and that makes me confidant that they will fix this. I'm just frustrated with the trouble communicating and the time lost. I ordered the seat in May because I'm taking a long trip in early August and it looks like I'll have to use my old uncomfortable stock seat for it.

RichEdwards

Rick offers the smooth, leather-like vinyl and another that he calls "basketweave." It has a texture to it (like a basket) and I would assume it allows more air to circulate and is cooler. I may choose the basketweave or bite the bullet and go for leather ($200 more.)

I have called twice this week and Kendra answered the phone on the first ring both times?

So she's there, just not returning my messages from early in the week. frown.gif

I know most of you have been happy, and that makes me confidant that they will fix this. I'm just frustrated with the trouble communicating and the time lost. I ordered the seat in May because I'm taking a long trip in early August and it looks like I'll have to use my old uncomfortable stock seat for it.

I am having a similar issue ordered in May and still waiting .Seems they have misplaced it somehow guess it can happen from time to time just wish it wasn't mine . I am sure they will take care of it though . Busy season plus recovering from his accident it is probably hectic there . I hope its worth the wait .The seat situation on this bike has been a sore subject since I bought it (long story ) So no use getting upset about it . Dave

They must have a black hole somewhere in their shop! I sent my seat in for an adjustment the week before Rick had his accident. Gave him a couple of weeks once he got back to work before calling about the status of my seat. I could here them rummaging through the shop over the phone but they never found the seat. They apologized and Rick offered to overnight the replacement once he got finished with it. I can live with a mistake like this if the owner is willing to make things right and I think that Rick made every effort in this case to do the right thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my saga continues.

My order was recieved on May 1st, I got the seat july 22nd, but it was damaged due to poor packing (IMHO).

I called Rick, but another seat would not be coming soon because I had to wait for Fed Ex to pick it up, send it to Rick, then he had to file a claim.

I mentioned the poor packing job to Rick and suggested a simple solution to insure the next seat didn't have the same problem.

Today (Aug 8), I get the Fed Ex and as I open the box I notice the packing looks very familiar. The seat is wrapped in a plastic bag and put in a box that's barely long enough for the seat, then Popcorn is blown in to fill the box. Since the seat is almost as long as the box and the popcorn goes to the places of least resistance within it's space, the leading edge of the seat is only protected by the plastic bag and the thin cardboard box. The plastic bag is torn on both sides and the vinyl is split.

Maybe I should pay extra for a more durable leather or get my money back, but then again, if it was packed properly I could be using it instead of writing about it.

Well, it is getting a lot of miles going from CA to Atlanta and it still looks like new except for that leading edge dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Archived