IGNORED

:::2006 Ducati ST3 test-ride report:::

hANNAbONE

a cOUPLA weeks ago I had the option of riding a 2006 (new) Ducati ST3. My riding impressions are as follows.

Fit & Finish : Not as good as any of my BMW’s – on par with my current Triumph. Squeak here and a buzzy rattle there mainly at a particular RPM range of 3000-3500. It seemed to come from the windscreen area. I expected more actually from a $13500.00 scoot.

Ergonomics : Everything felt right in the seating position. Hands naturally fell to the grips with no big reach (nothing like the KRS). Tank size had a lot to do with this, I’m sure. The handlebars seemed “up” – they felt right for touring. Seat was comfy, not too slim nor too padded. Not sure if I would have to opt for something other than OEM. The windscreen seemed low and opaque. I was in the wind partly because you sit a-top this sled rather than down in it like my KRS. Tank size and flat top made me feel this even though the seat is somewhat dipped. My KRS had the “humpback whale” look/feel. This Duc doesn’t have that – whether good or bad. I actually missed being “into” the bike rather than sitting on top of it. Maybe more RT like in its approach…not a bad thing – just something that I’ve been removed from ever since late 2002. I didn’t mind the wind – just that run from Cody to Dull Moan would R E A L L Y be something else..

Drivetrain : Power was adequate with the big twin pushing some 100-105 horses. I thought there would be more torque. It seemed fairly bottled up…perhaps with different exhaust cans and a re-map things would feel different. The horsepower was down noticeably from my Sprint STA. My Trumpy seems sportbike-esque when the Duc felt like it had to climb into +5000 RPM’s to get anything out of it. I had to wring the loud grip to get anything happening…whereas my Triumph is sportybike quick in throttle response. Waaaay different than my KRS – which I’ve stated before would need a Sherpa and some cub scouts to turn it to LOUD…(don’t miss that at all). I was thinking the mill would be more intoxicating … it was lackluster for me – not terrible – but not what I thought I was getting when climbing aboard. It made some nice sounds up in the higher range and it handled fine, it’s just that in comparing it to my current STA I felt that it didn’t have the rush or quickness. It didn’t “light me up”..

Transmission was snicky good…almost as nice as the STA – not the same, definitely not BMW like (clunky, slow, vague, searching). Tires only had 28 miles on them so testing the adhering limits of the suspension was impossible…(note – thought of this as I checked the ODO in mid-turn whilst wicking the throttle on an exit ramp…whoa-Baby, only 28 miles..!...back off – no drama…just got a tick ahead of myself).

Appearance : I simply love the look of the Ducati, this model and the supersport models too…(if I could only fit on the SS I’d own one..dang it.!) Again, the Duc seated me up and on – not down and in…I’ve become used to this and I was surprised that it didn’t match what I thought would be in my initial belief. Nonetheless, the look is stunning to me – and something that I would still consider if the price/color was right.

Last Comments : I would own one – the labor/cost consideration for upkeep is something that I cannot shake from my mind though. I mean tearing into the BMW opposed twins (once SirRodney taught me) was extremely easy, bordering on fun…chopping into a Duc would be a brand new adventure and something that would be waaaay expensive to fix if I did something incorrect. In short, the fun factor diminishes dramatically whence I think about the 6000 mile labor costs to do valves and the like. I think I could learn it – it’s just – do I wanna take the time to…if not – with that ownership comes expensive – repetitive shop time

Could see me owning a Ducati someday – not in the near future though…and probably not the sport-tourer either – probably the SS with some GenMar risers and a comfy saddle.

BTW – they wanted $3600.00 diff plus tax/doc fees for my 8300 mile *new* 2006 Trumpy in trade for their 2006 ST3 with bags – I don’t think so…

Howdy Pardner thumbsup.gif

Well, I agree with you about the F&F and the maintenance......I like to do my own wrenching and even with the EVO II brakes, I find the RT an easy bike to work on for regular maintenance and also you can get plenty of parts if you need to R&R stuff. I believe the Duc's are a bird of a 'nuther feather, as they say.....However, I must add that Deb saw, sat on and fell in love with the ST3 at a rally in Lukenbach and asked me what I thought of the bike. I said I wouldn't mind having one, only if I had it as part of a stable of bikes though! If only.... bncry.gifbncry.gif

Stick with the Sprint! It's a much better bike.

Although I love the look of most Ducatis, IMHO the ST3 has disjointed lines and looks cheap. I tried to like the look of it, but to no avail.

I would like to have the Ohlin option for the Sprint, otherwise I think the Sprint is hands down a better bike.

What about the handling? Oh, wait. You're in "AahWuh". Never mind. lmao.gif

....nOW - tHAT is both funny and alas...truthfull!...

Stick with the Sprint!A G R E E D It's a much better bike.

Although I love the look of most Ducatis, IMHO the ST3 has disjointed lines and looks cheap. I tried to like the look of it, but to no avail.

I would like to have the Ohlin option for the Sprint, otherwise I think the Sprint is hands down a better bike.

wILBER'S sHOCKS does make some for the new Sprint...I would actually like them more than the Ohlin's product. I am not yet ready to pull the trigger on them yet anyway - good point just the same.!

Archived