IGNORED

tank bag

jwurbel

I am looking for a tank bag for my 05 RT. The BMW version is the size of a small microwave. I am looking for something smaller, height wise preferably not to hide the instrument panel. Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks.

paulcbrowne

Chicaneusa.com has a "Canyon" tank bag that's just about ideal IMHO. After buying and returning a BMW tank bag, buy and selling a Marsee, I installed the Canyon from my LT that I had sold using 2 $5 straps that I bought at REI. I think you can get the right setup for an R12RT.

I has a neat pocket that just fits my EZ-Pass and a build-in rain cover. The map part is smallish, but then I run a Zumo that obviates the need for instructions.

Fueling is just a bit inconvenient. Just remember to close the zippers, undo one strap, and flip the bag up to get at the filler.

I'm always quite surprised with how much I can stuff into this bag before even undoing the expansion zipper.

That's my 2 cents. thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

I used a BigMak tank bag on my R1100RT for several years, and have always been happy with it. I've had some contact with Mark about a system for the R1200RT. As of right now they are using longer screws and spacers, and Mark hopes to take a look at the R1200RT sometime in the future to see about an adapter to the framework on the tank. If there is enough interest, it may be profitable enough to pursue. I haven't tried the longer screws and spacers, yet, but hope to get some soon and try it out. I'd be very happy if I can start using my BigMak bag on my R1200RT. The BMW bag can hold a ton of stuff, but it seems too big without any side supports.

The BigMak Tank Bag has been the best one that I've ever used. It is sturdy, retains it's shape, is easily compartmentalized for electronics, holds lots of goodies, and best of all, does not need to be removed when filling the bike with fuel. Looks good, too.

Disclaimer: Not associated with BigMak enterprises. Just a happy customer for years. Mark is also a long term member of this board.

<<The BigMak Tank Bag has been the best one that I've ever used. It is sturdy, retains it's shape, is easily compartmentalized for electronics, holds lots of goodies, and best of all, does not need to be removed when filling the bike with fuel. >>

+1 on that.

I am looking for a tank bag for my 05 RT. The BMW version is the size of a small microwave. I am looking for something smaller, height wise preferably not to hide the instrument panel. Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks.

I was hesitant about the BMW bag until I used it. Big map pouch. I find the one compartment works and is the most efficient use of space. I use some different colour mesh bags for glass cases and other stuff that works better than compartments - which are always 1/2 empty or too small. Easy on & off. 100% waterproof. And I've no problem seeing the instruments nor getting the bars to full lock.

If I have one complaint, It's the hard plastic 'feet' on the bottom which poke into seats once off the bike.

Was very pleased with the three point jumbo sport tank bag from Roadgear. Used it on a recent trip through Austria. Offers lots of room, is expandable. Narrow enough not to interfere with the handlebars on turns. Check it out on their website. http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/detail.cfm?Prod_ID=87 Also used their Euro sport jumbo hauler. Looks small but takes a lot of stuff. Both good products in my opinion.

Archived