Fuel gauge problem on 04'

alexp

My bike has 18K and I'm still having reading issues on the gas gauge. If I fillup the tank, it shows one bar less from full. The reserve light only comes on when the there is no more bars showing. It almost feels like the sending unit is off or bent. Now, I already had the display replaced twice, the reserve tube sending unit once and the float sending unit once too. At first, the sending unit was mounted in the tank offset. The pump was mounted a little sideways according to the shop. So they replaced the fuel tank and mounted the new sending unit straight up.

I think my problem now is a resistance issue. The only part of the system that hasn't been replaced is the computer which calculates the fuel level and sends the info to the display. Has anyone here had a similar issue?

Thanks confused.gif

My '02 won't read "full" either. Doesn't really bother me.Have yet to get the level low enough for a light to illuminate.

Don't worry about the top bar. Just about every other bike does the same. The sender unit is just mounted in such a way as to give this indication. If you perform the 'vent hole' mod in the filler neck and absolutely fill the tank to brimming, then it will read, but unfortunately when the fuel expands you will loose fuel!

So forget about it - it is one of the bikes (many) idiosyncrasies!

Andy

This is actually fairly TADT. The modified fuel filler neck of the 1150 series as compared to the 1100 series prevents filling the tank to the true top bar of the sending unit. Forget about it and enjoy the ride. It's the bottom bar you have to worry about, not the top one anyway.

Don't worry about the top bar. Just about every other bike does the same.

Many of us never see the top TWO bars !

Don't worry about the top bar. Just about every other bike does the same. ......

Andy

Ditto. If I REALLY, and carefully, fill up to the point the neck has a little fuel cresting over the opening at the bottom, I MIGHT see about 15-20 miles of riding with the top bar lit up (if I granny ride it, that is grin.gif ).

The connector for the sending unit is near the right throttle body.

Disconnect connector and clean the contacts using a plastic safe contact cleaner.

High resistance will cause exactly what you are describing.

Ken,

That is unless you are totally anal (like me eek.gif) and while filling up, rock the bike back and forth (on the centrestand) and wiggle from side to side THEN you'll get all the bars DAMHIK grin.gifgrin.gif!!!

SAAB93driver

My R1150RS showed all bars until the fuel filter change, now it almost never shows the top bar. I haven't taken time to clean the contacts yet, will do when I do next service.

Couchrocket

Ditto. If I REALLY, and carefully, fill up to the point the neck has a little fuel cresting over the opening at the bottom, I MIGHT see about 15-20 miles of riding with the top bar lit up (if I granny ride it, that is ).

+1 for my 04 RT, too.

Alex, you're chasing Teutonic perfection, which these bikes ain't. dopeslap.gifgrin.giflmao.gif

The connector for the sending unit is near the right throttle body.

There is a second connector between the RID wiring and the bike's main wiring harness. It's underneath the RID somewhere.

just draw the top bar in with a black magic marker. lmao.gif

Then it will never run out of gas! Wow, great idea. I could even syphon some out for my cars. Thanks Brian, you've solved the energy crisis with just a magic marker. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Here's where I would check, if it hasn't been done already:

The float for the fuel guage runs up and down a little rheostat inside the tank. When you pull your cover for the fuel filter, you also get the float assy.

The rheostat is a little printed circuit board that is just pressed into the housing and is snap-fit in place. Except that I've see at least two bikes where it was there, but not fastened entirely in the "snaps."

Perhaps your float only contacts the rheostat for a little bit of it's sweep, or maybe it jams and doesn't go the full distance.

Boney,

The float assy. tied to the fuel pump assy controls the fuel light, not the RID display.

What is being described is a high resistance in the RID display sender circuit. This sender is in the "tube" wich is accessed from the top right side of the tank. (although the OP doesn't state how much gas is left in the tank when the light comes on)

Archived