IGNORED

Water in headlight '04 RT

KCScott

I get water inside the headlight when driving in the rain. This has happened since the bike was new. Does anybody know if there is a service bulletin concerning this? Is this a common problem? Thanks

Don't know of any service bulletins off hand but you should'nt be getting water inside the lens. You may have a warranty claim there. The only way you might be getting water is if the rubber boot that seals off the headlight/Hi beam connectors is loose, ripped, torn, etc...

wave.gif

Not common, but not unheard of either. The whole assembly has to be replaced. If your '04 is still in warranty it should be covered.

Laffo IBA#34115

Mine has the same issue and has been complained about. Turns out that there is a service bulletin and the problem is not a problem according to BMW. They say that it is normal and that there are vents at the top to take care of the condensation that temporarily occurs after riding in the rain or washing it. I have been shown the service at Morton's BMW.

Hope this helps.

Well, if that's true, then what would be the harm in drilling a couple small drain holes (or weep holes) in the bottom of the housing?

Thanks for all the help. I will talk to my dealer see what they say. I think its poorly designed if they expect water to get in. It leaves a haze on the inside of the glass which of coarse irritates me!

regards,

Scott

Archived