IGNORED

Moto GP at Indy 2008

Chris K

This is part of a post from today at cyclenews.com.

"Indianapolis Motor Speedway will host a round of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship, with all three World Championship classes expected to take part.

The announcement of the race, set for Sept. 14, 2008, will be made July 16 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway."

The full article can be found HERE .

Hey Tasker, you got that campground built in your backyard yet?!! grin.gif

John Ranalletta

Chris,

Interestingly, July 16th is the "drop dead" date for F1 at Indy. Ecclestone said, "It's all about the money. Tony knows what he has to do." I think they're playing "chicken" and Tony will let F1 go away. The constructors and sponsors want a USGP race, but they don't care where as long as the promoter can ante up Ecclestone's fee and put up the purse.

Likely, MotoGP will bring a higher gate than F1.

No doubt we'll go to the race and would be more than happy to host an event or provide space for campers, garage space for needed repairs, sag service for breakdowns, etc.

We're in!

I have an untested contact for tickets to Speedway events...a friend who is prez of a Hulman family company. Maybe this is the time to test that friendship. smile.gif

Hey Tasker, you got that campground built in your backyard yet?!! grin.gif

Bring it, buddy. I have tons of space in the yard and in the house. I'll even fire up Mr. Sparky and toss some tasty dead animals on the fire!

I think they're playing "chicken" and Tony will let F1 go away.

Mark my words: IMS and F1 will sign a multi-year agreement.

Keep in mind that IMS hosted over 100,000 people this past June for the F1 race, even after the Michelin/F1 debacle two years ago. The average price-per-F1-ticket will always be higher than the Moto GP ticket price. And as much as I love Moto GP and prefer it much more than anything F1, surpassing the F1 attendance mark will be tough to do, especially on a year-to-year basis.

The F1 race at IMS is still the highest-attended race on their schedule. Bernie may be a lot of things -- most not too pleasant -- but he ain't a dummy. Smug, arrogant, condesending, an a$$... Yeah, all those and more. But he ain't a dummy.

It's great to hear that MotoGP is coming to Indy. It's my favorite form of racing. I agree that it probably won't outdraw the F1, but I think we've seen the last Indy F1 for a while.

The sponsors that really matter in the U.S. are the manufacturers, and a non-central U.S. venue is a lot closer to their customer base. If it goes to Vegas or other west coast track, they will draw many more of their potential customers. After all, they love the racing, but they're in it for the $$$.

John Ranalletta

Keep in mind that IMS hosted over 100,000 people this past June for the F1 race, even after the Michelin/F1 debacle two years ago. The average price-per-F1-ticket will always be higher than the Moto GP ticket price. And as much as I love Moto GP and prefer it much more than anything F1, surpassing the F1 attendance mark will be tough to do, especially on a year-to-year basis.

The F1 race at IMS is still the highest-attended race on their schedule. Bernie may be a lot of things -- most not too pleasant -- but he ain't a dummy. Smug, arrogant, condesending, an a$$... Yeah, all those and more. But he ain't a dummy.

Speedway eliminates Formula One race

This was a battle between two people, neither of whom really needed the other. Tony Hulman George led the IRL/CART split because car owners wanted more control while he was providing the venue. Tony's serving his interests. Good for him.

While an F1 race is huge for many, it's just an another event for the Speedway and there's no mortgage payment owing on the facility.

Speedway eliminates Formula One race

This was a battle between two people, neither of whom really needed the other. Tony Hulman George led the IRL/CART split because car owners wanted more control while he was providing the venue. Tony's serving his interests. Good for him.

While an F1 race is huge for many, it's just an another event for the Speedway and there's no mortgage payment owing on the facility.

I was wrong, you were right.

I thought I'd give you this one since the "other" thread you're currently stoking isn't giving you many "you're right" comments!

I actually have more comments on your comments but I just don't have the patience to pound them out and I just don't care all that much.

MOTO GP!

YEAH, BABY!

John Ranalletta
I thought I'd give you this one since the "other" thread you're currently stoking isn't giving you many "you're right" comments!
It was a good conversation, stimulating in many respects, but some have difficulty keeping it free of personal invective. Oh well. Disappointing but not surprising.

It's official! Mark your calanders for the weekend of Sept. 13, 2008. This will include the 125 and 250 bikes! More on the announcement HERE .

russell_bynum

I have mixed feelings.

The Good: Another GP race in the US kicks ass! Getting to see th 125's and 250's kicks ass! Indy is probably better equipped to handle this from a logistics and PR standpoint than anyone else in the country. Infield road course provides good views for spectators.

The Bad: Infield road courses suck.

I wish it could have been an interesting track like Barber or Road America.

Oh well. There's more good than bad.

John Ranalletta
I have mixed feelings.

The Good: Another GP race in the US kicks ass! Getting to see th 125's and 250's kicks ass! Indy is probably better equipped to handle this from a logistics and PR standpoint than anyone else in the country. Infield road course provides good views for spectators.

It could have been had those track operators just ante'd up the scratch.

Tony's got the $ to experiment. He did so with F1. According to today's paper, Ecclestone raised the price

George was willing to bump his sanctioning payment, now estimated at $7 million to $12 million, up to $15 million. Ecclestone supposedly can get upwards of twice that elsewhere, probably outside the U.S., and that's that.
What would be cool is if the track operators refused to pay a sanctioning fee and charged Ecclestone and F1 to race. grin.gif
John Ranalletta

Just applied for 6 tickets.

Just to remind, we've got plenty of camping space, big garage, run of the house, floor space, eats, a couple of blow up mattresses, couch, etc. We're 17 miles from the Speedway.

I have mixed feelings.

I agree, the infield course at Indy is not spectacular but it will be improved from the current configuration and the race will run in the opposite direction from how the F1 race was run. However, the overall grounds and support services are second to none and the hospitality industry in Indy is second to none when it comes to hosting the motorsports industry because we "get it."

Barber has always been one of my favorite options for a Moto GP race and I still hope that a third race can land there some day but the area (support services) around Barber needs some improvement to be able to support a mega-motorsports event like Moto GP.

russell_bynum

I agree, the infield course at Indy is not spectacular but it will be improved from the current configuration and the race will run in the opposite direction from how the F1 race was run.

2007-motogp-course.jpg

Barber has always been one of my favorite options for a Moto GP race and I still hope that a third race can land there some day but the area (support services) around Barber needs some improvement to be able to support a mega-motorsports event like Moto GP.

For sure. Barber would not be a good choice except that it would make for spectacular racing. Everything else would be pretty painful.

We applied for tickets. See you in '08. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

2007-motogp-course.jpg

Did you receive permission from Tony George and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to use this image?

tongue.gifgrin.gifwink.gifeek.gif

No, but I stole it from SuperbikePlanet.com and I did't ask their permission either, so it's OK.

thumbsup.gif

my son's 4 year committment to the US Marine Corp ends August 1, 2008 at Noon. I have been looking for something very special that we can do together to celebrate.

I think I just found the exact event clap.gif

signing on to get tickets now.

Too bad they scheduled it during football season. The summer months would have allowed for vacation time travel and no competition against America's Game.

Firefight911
I know something of the opening ceremonies, but I can't divulge.

Dale Walksler would kill me.

Tease!!

I know something of the opening ceremonies, but I can't divulge.

Dale Walksler would kill me.

Tease!!

And your point is???

Tickets applied for!!!

Save me some tent space, Tasker!!

This will be my second visit to the 'first' MotoGP race in the US. thumbsup.gif

ncsonderman

JohnBoy,

I think that we already have two folks from WS that are riding up. Let's get together and make a great trip!

JohnBoy,

I think that we already have two folks from WS that are riding up. Let's get together and make a great trip!

In!! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
steve.foote
my son's 4 year committment to the US Marine Corp ends August 1, 2008 at Noon. I have been looking for something very special that we can do together to celebrate.

I think I just found the exact event clap.gif

signing on to get tickets now.

My thoughts exactly, Randy. We are on the list for four 3-day upgraded club passes. I called early and we're hoping to be able to snag them. There is also talk of another type of infield package that will be put together after the Brickyard 400 is done with.

This should be an event to remember. thumbsup.gif

Archived