IGNORED

Laney & Kathy's Adventure Pictures -- Part 1

Laney

JUST FOR PILGRIM wink.gif, ALL THESE PICTURES ARE TINY!!! CLICK ON THEM FOR THOSE ANNOYING BIG PICTURES

Well yeah --I know you’ve been waiting to see these. I’m just a little slow, making up for all the fast I did while riding here, there and everywhere for 19 days in June. And for all the guy-people who might ask things like how many miles -- more than 7000, but I don’t know exactly, and how many states -- 19 for me, and how far I/we rode each day --well, far enough to get to the next place, of course. tongue.gif

But girls don’t necessarily think in those terms. wink.gif The real reason Kathy and I were on this adventure had nothing to do with acquiring anything beyond – adventure! And fun, and laughs – lots of those. That’s what we found -- laughs, fun, adventure, and friends.

Sock Monkey and I left early June 3, after piling more stuff on the RT than I ever imagined sharing the bike with. It felt as if that Monkey dove into the ice cream a little too often in the weeks before we left. Or maybe I had. I’ve never had a passenger on the RT (can you imagine that – Guys never ask Girls for a ride on the back of their bike!) crazy.gif so it’s a serious adjustment for me to get the extra weight moving and stopped again at the right times.

If I give you ALL the details of riding across 40 through California and Arizona, you’ll run out of time to read, and maybe even get a little bored. So I’ll tell you what matters -- with this being my first trip alone, how could I possibly find anything wrong? I made it to all my stops at the estimated times, (hey, close enough), loved the changes as the surroundings blended first from one desert type to the next, then from desert in to the cooler pines of Kingman, and I’m completely happy to arrive in Holbrook, AZ in time to go swimming, and hang with some interesting people at the pool. The Monkey’s happy too, since we even had time to check email and look at the BBS.

tsmchecksemail.jpg

He posed by the Holbrook water tower for me,

tsmholbrookwatertower.jpg

and by early the next morning, we were ready to move on.

tleavingholbrook.jpg

Next, New Mexico. I stopped in Gallup, and couldn’t get over the development since I’d last been there in ’88. What I remembered from that time was little more than the Holiday Inn, a few small stores, and a hospital. Now they have all the usual city stuff of Sonic Burgers, car dealers and Walmart. I’d always loved driving through here when I worked in this area years ago, but obviously it’s better on a bike. The clay reds, oranges, and tans of the surroundings felt much closer and real without all the separation a car creates. I’d always loved the lightning storms in New Mexico -- the openness, and the variety of shapes and colors were a perfect background for the spider web bolts of lightning. But that was in a car…

Internet weather checks I’d made the night before told of sudden storms in Texas, but that was a ways ahead. So what’s all that black stuff in the sky? And those flashes of light were not the opening of some new Electronics Super Store. Uh oh, I realize we’re in for it, so I stopped and put the rain cover on the tank bag, and on Sock Monkey too.

tsmreadyfortheweather.jpg

tintothestorm.jpg

The bad news -- I’d never ridden in weather, especially wind, this extreme. The good news -- it was the worst weather I encountered on the trip. I continued on, it looked much lighter ahead of me, suggesting I’d get out from under it, but also because I didn’t think I could hold up the bike against the wind if I did stop. I did sharpen my bargaining skills along the way. “Hey, You Up There in charge – Look, just let me get to the next dip in the road between two hills where I can breathe again for half a second, and I PROMISE I’ll never do (fill in the blank here) again!” Not only did I use up everything I had on my current list, I actually went into debt for the future. You’ll find now that I MUST be a very, very, good girl for ALL the rest of my days. wink.gif SOME people have no confidence in my ability to do this. Like Denny, he says he’ll never ride beside me in a lightning storm, just in case… crazy.gif

Finally Sock Monkey and I got to a place where the wind was lighter, and I had confidence enough to stop. I pulled into a motel, asked if they knew anything about the weather reports, and found there was a local tornado watch. Time to get a room I guess, even though we were 200 miles short of where I’d hoped to be when this day ended.

The Monkey and I were wiped out…

tsmsurvivedthestorm.jpg

and his Monkey heart was broken that our day ended early because of weather

tsmbrokenheart.jpg

Next morning, on to Texas, but with a different route that went AROUND the storms, instead of through them, thanks to Master Yoda’s help and his persistence in taking the time to search for more accurate weather stuff to send me in a better direction. Parts of Texas were – different. At one gas stop, all the women seemed to be wearing dresses, and looked at me and the RT as if we were lost and needed redirecting. Sort of pity, not shocked stares. The shocked stares came later, in another state… My favorite part of Texas is going across 82 – suddenly there is nothing but this sunny, wonderful expanse of lush greenness. I’m on a two lane road for a time, and everyone is incredibly quick about getting over to let me pass kind of legally. I really think it was because they were all so nice and helpful, but could it be they’d heard scary tales of girls from California on big blue motorcycles??? Who really cares, they moved over, I go on and am nearly alone on a great road -- yes, mostly straight, but there is all this greenness, with beautiful quarter horses and happy cows by the side of the road. I could have stayed there all day, and looking back, I think I darn near did. But I’m afraid they have no sense of foolishness out there. I rode by a big sign in a field not far back from the road, one of those using individual stick-up letters like a gas station sign uses individual numbers for prices. The sign read: ”BOB’S ANGUS FOR SALE” and gave the phone number. And I COULD NOT believe, with this sign SO close to the road, that nobody had taken the “G” out. Could it be that Texans are much too serious?

On through 82, then south on 271, the day got late and it got darker and darker. I needed to get further, so I kept going. Finally, Longview, and I checked in to some place by about 9:30 that night. I walked upstairs to my room, and thought something had gone wrong and they’d left the heat on by mistake. Nope, welcome to Texas! I decide to get up at an unreal hour and get going REALLY early the next day. Along with wanting to outrun the heat, it’s time to make up for ALL lost time and get to Atlanta, where I’ll meet up with Kathy at Marty Hill’s.

The next day is a quick blast across 20. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama kind of fly by. The only time I slow down is when my dearly beloved V1 tells me to, or the gas tank is near empty. It’s not my favorite way to travel, but I decide it’s important to make up some time. With impeccable timing, I arrive in Atlanta at 5:00. Rush hour here is all I’d heard it would be, and then some. Yeah, Atlanta’s Rush Hour killed my clutch. That’s it. tongue.gif

Finally, I’m riding down Marty’s street – there are Kathy and Marty pointing me into Marty’s driveway. I can barely believe I’m finally here, Kathy’s here, and were going to start the next stage of this adventure…

I think I made it!

tthinkimadeit.jpg

twerehere.jpg

Next morning, Kath had some actual work to attend to in Atlanta, and Marty is kind enough to entertain the Monkey and I at breakfast.

tbreakfastinatlanta.jpg

Later in the day, it’s time to hug Marty, say a huge Thank You, and goodbye, and head North to meet Kathy. Time for the girls to get on the road to Georgia. Suches, here we come! Our next destination is T-W-O, the motorcycles only campground. We arrive after a nice ride through some twisty roads, and got parked and unloaded.

tlaneyatsuches.jpg\ ttwogirlsatsuches.jpgtkathyattwo.jpg

It’s a peaceful place to settle in, with a stream running through the campground, a pool, and a lovely large deck area filled with chairs, flowers, and hummingbirds.

tkathystentattwo.jpg

There were lots of great people, especially the people that own the place. We had a great time with everyone on the deck during and after dinner, and the nice lady that owns the place even brought us both a glass of wine—after hearing that we’d been griping about being in a dry county, and were too lazy to ride back sixteen miles to get beer. Gee, were we whining THAT loud? wink.gif

ttwogirslattwo.jpg

But that Monkey!

tsmattwosign.jpg

After a whole lot more giggling, we finally crash. Next morning David Baker will meet us here, and show us the great roads of Tennessee. Sweet dreams!

David arrives at the campground early, we have breakfast, and head out. Earlier when we took down the tents, the sky looked a little dark, but as we’re leaving Suches, it’s sunny and perfect. A great day for a ride with friends! We follow David directly into some tight twisty roads that I just can’t wake up enough to ride comfortably. But it’s still beautiful, the weather is warming up, and the whole day is ahead of us. The combination of sun and shadows moderates the temperature for a time. I’ve never seen Bridal Veil Falls, and following David, we all ride underneath the falling water. While David and I pull to the side of the road to grab our cameras, Kathy’s off and laughing to ride through a second time. Maybe even a third. We’re posing like a bunch of tourists –and certainly Kathy and I are. tbvfallsgirls.jpg

We’re back on the bikes to see what more the roads of Tennessee hold.

ttennesseewater.jpg

Lunch at Deal’s Gap

tlunchatdealsgap2.jpg

Trying to keep the Monkey under control…

tsmatdealsgap.jpg

After lunch, we’re going to Cherohala Parkway!

tcherohalapkwy.jpg

tcherohalapkwy2.jpg

It’s beautiful country -- finally, I’m wide-awake for this road. This trip is getting better, the scenery is unbelievable, the roads are great, not crowded, and Kathy and I are both happy we’d decided to make this trip.

We stop at the end for gas, and although it’s bright, sunny and still seems early in the day, it’s already time for dinner. Afterwards, David heads off towards Florida, and Kathy and I decide we’re too tired to do anything but find the nearest motel with a POOL. Fortunately, it’s right around the corner. I run to the store for beer and junk food, we change from riding stuff to bathing suits, and dive in. Life is really, really good.

Next morning, we’re on our way to a section of Blue Ridge Pkwy within North Carolina. We pack up, check maps, and head out. The roads are not very crowded for Sunday, wildflowers are a colorful addition to the center and sides of the roadway, and the weather’s going to be great again. We expect it’ll be another perfect day. Until we realize we’re not where we’re supposed to be. Stop, get gas, turn around and get headed in the right direction. We stop for lunch, and just out of curiosity, I ask the waitress where we are. Alcoa??? Where is that? When we look at the map after lunch, we find we’re off course again. Oh, well. It’s beautiful country, lunch was great, and we’ve still got plenty of time to get where we planned. On we go, finally getting out of the serious heat onto a beautifully shaded and cool road.

tbeforeblueridge3.jpg

It’s like Paradise, so we have to stop to take it in. Pictures, more pictures, and a big splash in the stream to get our feet wet.

tbikesatblueridge.jpg

tbeforeblueridge2.jpg

Finally, Sock Monkey was so impressed, even he sat quietly…

tsmbeforeblueridge.jpg

By now, I’m sure you need a break from all these pretty pictures. I know I do, so I guess I’ll quit here and break this into two parts.

Great story! (And great job with the clic-pics etc. I'm sure Pilgrim appreciates it too wink.gif )

The picture of Sock Monkey passed out on the top box was a hoot!! roflmao.gif

Can't wait for part 2 ....

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as...

tenton18.jpg

Nice to relive it, Laney. That was such a great day of riding. What's with Marty at the breakfast table? He looks like you all were beating him up!

Marty Hill

David,

Have you ever had breakfast with that monkey? All I got were crumbs. He is NASTY! Kathy and Laney are welcome back anytime. The monkey, I'm not sure about.

Really enjoyed their visit. I'm at kathy's now. Went to the world famous HH this morning. Met Ron/David E.B. among others. A blast. On my way to KC in the am.

Cool report and pix, Laney. I liked SM checking the BBS! We definitely need to do a girl (and monkeys) only tour next year! Sounds like a blast!

russell_bynum

Laney,

I've so been looking forward to this ride tale and the pics. You had me wishing I was there, then laughing until I cried, then wishing I was there some more. Awesome awesome awesome stuff.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Great report and wonderful pics ! ! !

(oi vey ... that my life should be so interesting as that of Mr. Sock Monkey wink.giflaugh.gifwink.gif)

In reply to:

The real reason Kathy and I were on this adventure had nothing to do with acquiring anything beyond – adventure! And fun, and laughs – lots of those.

Amen to that!

Lanester....I'll go anywhere, again, with you, anytime you say....THAT was a terrific ride. You can bring your Monkey too wink.gif

See you in Gunnison.....Sunday, July 21......I'm ready for another brewski and popcorn meal.

PB

OK, before I'm off to Trenton, I just gotta get something off my chest.

That monkey is really starting to bug me. I mean really. Ridin' around the country with two great gals, doing the Cherahola, getting drunk, getting away with who knows what kind of mischief. And all the while, that silly smirk on that little monkey face. Why, I'll bet he didn't even pay for his share of the gas. I mean like.....some guys have all the........the........

Umm, sorry. Never mind.

Enjoyed the report/pics.

My, what great fun so far. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Uh... you gonna show us where you got the name Streamwalker?

Hey, Ron, don't worry...

You're not the only guy around here suffering from "Monkey Envy!" laugh.giflaugh.gif Let's see that Sock Monkey do the Chubby Bunny!! tongue.gif

Why is it the girls who really know how to have a good time always go for those nasty boyz?

Tool

Hi Laney,

Thanks for the great post and pics. I have a question about Sock Monkey though - why is it he wears leathers but no helmet? And where did he get those teeny, tiny leathers?

Laney, Thanks for the trip report. Now when I pass by streams I think of you and Kathy. Once again thanks. Maybe on my way to Gunnison I'll stroll a stream or something to really drink in (pun intended) the moment. I can't wait to read part deux and the pics. I'd be careful with sock monkey in Gunnison, it sounds like some of the guys may snatch him. tongue.gif

In reply to:

Uh... you gonna show us where you got the name Streamwalker?

Would that be where -- or how?

Wonder if there's any water near Gunnison... laugh.gif

In reply to:

Why is it the girls who really know how to have a good time always go for those nasty boyz?

'Cause those nasty boyz know how to have fun!

sockmonkeyrides.jpg

And would a nasty-boy-rebel like this ever wear a helmet? No Way!

Those teeny weeny leathers? They used to be mine. Washed them in hot water until they shrunk enough for the little guy laugh.gif

Thanks for the pictures and story, Laney. We're looking forward to the rest of it, .... and hearing how you became "streamwalker".

Archived