IGNORED

Sometimes, it's the bike...

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Having recently switched from an 1150GS to a Ducati MS, I'm coming to understand that when a rider starts to get bored with riding and rides less, sometimes, it can be the bike.

Frankly, as much as I liked the GS, riding it seemed, at times, to be more of a chore than a delight. I'm not dissing the GS, but it tends to lead one to a more sedate style of riding. Yes, yes. I know it can be ridden aggressively and well, but it is a ponderous machine at heart.

I took a chance on the MS for that reason. I wanted a more sports-oriented machine short of a replica and one that could do 2-up day rides as well.

The jury is still out, but early returns are very positive. Whereas, a couple of weeks ago, I would only consider lighting up the GS for longer rides, I'm taking the MS for short rides, sneaking them in between appointments and other duties.

I'd offer that riders who have ridden the same bike or class of bikes for a long time exclusively should try a different style. It might make a difference.

I would describe the MS' primary contribution in the very short time it's been mine as "way more fun". Can a dedicated track bike be far away?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

That's a very good point. I must say that out of the 7 bikes I have had, I loved them all except one, a Honda SL350. Mind you, each was a performance upgrade from the previous one. Worst excuse for a dual sport ever put on the market IMO.

Rich

That's because it's new.

Could be.

But I'll say this: I stopped by John's place this afternoon and just sat on his new DUC in his garage and I thought that it was a beautiful bike but that it wasn't for me. It wasn't comfortable for my "build" and what I prefer as a seating position on a moto.

Then I fired it up.

I haven't had something that exciting between my legs since, well... I won't go there...

I haven't ridden his DUC (yet!) but just hearing that engine gave me tingles that have been missing for some time.

What an awesome sound and rumble...

Francois_Dumas

Then again, it can be the riding style too..... if you LIKE a more sedate riding style, surely your thoughts would be inversed ? wink.gif To me a GS seems more aggressive than our old RT...... smile.gif

John Ranalletta
Then again, it can be the riding style too..... if you LIKE a more sedate riding style, surely your thoughts would be inversed ? wink.gif To me a GS seems more aggressive than our old RT...... smile.gif
Precisely. I didn't suggest that the shift had to be from less to more sporting. It could go the other way as well. In this instance, a more laid back style of riding had become boring.
That's because it's new.

cHALLENGE//!!!

When I was soul searching trading my KRS which I dearly loved just 1 year ago I found that I really disliked shoving that heavy girl in curves - which is why I bought it. hmmmm...

So got something much lighter and still "roadable"

Happy now... grin.gifthumbsup.gif

John Ranalletta

Then I fired it up.

I haven't had something that exciting between my legs since, well... I won't go there...

How do I erase that image from my mind?
Jim VonBaden

I rode a Duc 620 MS. It was a nice enough bike. Slow, twitchy and a little small for me, but nice enough.

I immagine the 1000 sport is much faster, and slightly heavier, so not so twitchy.

Great engines in them. thumbsup.gif

Still in all, there is a bike for everyone, and though that bike chages with time, the R1200GS is much more my style, and can be ridden hard or not, depending on my mood.

Jim cool.gif

PS ALL new bikes are cool! thumbsup.gif

You're in the "Honeymoon Phase". Kinda works the same way with new golf equipment. A very high divorce rate comes later lmao.gif

John Ranalletta
You're in the "Honeymoon Phase
Maybe, but it didn't cost 1/2 my assets or a huge lawyer fee. I can afford to have multiple honeymoons; and, why not?

What I hear you describing is a change inside your helmet. I agree that the way we think as we ride can dramatically dictate how we feel about ...ouch! My head hurts now, from all the thinking. Let's ride!

John, I agree that what bike one has available could change one's willingness to ride. Certainly, we tend to ride our brand new bike more than the old one, right? So whatever "charm" a bike holds will be part of the "charm" of Experience we expect... and perhaps seek.

I very much do buy bikes with a sense of, or at least hope for, a "charm" inherent to it - The K1200RS is a bike so charmed I seldom go several days with out mindfulness of it's character and that affect on me. For much of my Riding life, I've had several bikes on hand to choose from. Bikes stay around because they remain "charming" to me. And truthfully, I choose to live keeping "charm" alive, to be mindful of "charmingness", perhaps like keeping the Spirit of Christmas alive all year. I like living within that kind glowing realm, sharing it with others, and choosing my closest friends from among those who seem most alive to me in that way.

It's thus I'm likely to have a bike available to ride in a give situation that arises - and realize it. One or the other will seem to me likely to provide a fun time, and even call to me to create a ride to go enjoy.

It's true I've recently been through a time when my outlook had been turned into an "inlook", but that's passing, and once again I'm called to The Road because I'm mindful of the charm of roads, and the bountiful range of charm available to us in our blessedly large array of bikes today.

My, how charming. Thanks for reminding me.

Jim VonBaden
John, I agree that what bike one has available could change one's willingness to ride. Certainly, we tend to ride our brand new bike more than the old one, right? So whatever "charm" a bike holds will be part of the "charm" of Experience we expect... and perhaps seek.

I very much do buy bikes with a sense of, or at least hope for, a "charm" inherent to it - The K1200RS is a bike so charmed I seldom go several days with out mindfulness of it's character and that affect on me. For much of my Riding life, I've had several bikes on hand to choose from. Bikes stay around because they remain "charming" to me. And truthfully, I choose to live keeping "charm" alive, to be mindful of "charmingness", perhaps like keeping the Spirit of Christmas alive all year. I like living within that kind glowing realm, sharing it with others, and choosing my closest friends from among those who seem most alive to me in that way.

It's thus I'm likely to have a bike available to ride in a give situation that arises - and realize it. One or the other will seem to me likely to provide a fun time, and even call to me to create a ride to go enjoy.

It's true I've recently been through a time when my outlook had been turned into an "inlook", but that's passing, and once again I'm called to The Road because I'm mindful of the charm of roads, and the bountiful range of charm available to us in our blessedly large array of bikes today.

My, how charming. Thanks for reminding me.

What a charming note! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, you hit it there, and much better than when I tried!

Jim cool.gif

I have a had and still have a few collector cars. I always have to be careful when the honeymoon stage is over. The cars are beautiful but they are most of the time a pain to drive.

Archived