IGNORED

Shocks replacement recomendation

Gery

Hi there,

My 02 R1150RT had just reach 40k miles and is due for shocks replacement. I am more for touring and cross-country type of rider and not considering to run the bike on a track. Sometimes I like to ride fast on twisty roads...

Any recomendation for a good custom front & rear shocks that is more reliable and will get most for my bucks? What brand and model #? And cost?

Should I just use and order a new BMW stock shocks to replace my front & rear shocks?

Will I need to replace my side & center stand if I choose to replace my front & rear with a 1/2 inch lowered shocks?

I highly appreciated any input.

Thanks,

Gery

Hi there,

My 02 R1150RT had just reach 40k miles and is due for shocks replacement. I am more for touring and cross-country type of rider and not considering to run the bike on a track. Sometimes I like to ride fast on twisty roads...

Any recomendation for a good custom front & rear shocks that is more reliable and will get most for my bucks? What brand and model #? And cost?

I've got Works Performance Shocks. I'm totally impressed by their customer service. The "course" adjustment is difficult on the rear shock (only fairly easy with rear tire removed), but once it's close and fitted with the BMW hydraulic preload adjuster, it works just like the BMW shock.

Ohlin's are another fine choice.

Should I just use and order a new BMW stock shocks to replace my front & rear shocks?

If you are going to keep your bike, aftermarket rebuildable shocks offer a lower cost of ownership (rebuilding my rear shock was $75), plus a suspension that is more suited to your weight and riding style.

Will I need to replace my side & center stand if I choose to replace my front & rear with a 1/2 inch lowered shocks?

I've never heard of anyone having to do this. Works offers shorter shocks, 1" I believe.

Thanks,

Gery

I changed mine at 24,000 on the RT. I went for Maxton's, a premium made to measure UK manufacturer. It was the cheapest way of getting a new bike. thumbsup.gif

I put on only a rear Ohlin, nice shock. It was lowered 1/2 inch and no change was needed in side or centerstand. Kyle Racing sold me the shock for my weight and riding conditions (1 up and twisties). Someday I'll do the front shock.

Gery

Additional choices of shocks are Wilber's and Hyper Pro. You absolutely want a rebuildable shock so forget the BMW shocks unless somebody is going to give you a pair with no mileage on them which is not likely too happen. The cost to rebuild a shock is from $100-$150 usually and takes about a week or two from what I have heard and read. New shocks on your bike will make a world of difference in handling. It did on my bike. If you can be patient I would also look on the different BMW web sites and pick up a used pair if possible. That will save you some big $$$$.

Eckhard Grohe

I have tried the Works - 1" shocks and the spring was too soft for us. I'd like to try them again with a Hydraulic Adjuster but Works hasn't answered my first email on another topic and I have heard they suck on the email front.

Hi there,

Thanks,

Gery

Hey Gery-

The Works lowered shock (1-1/2") will help you with reaching the ground a little better..I have it on my '03 RT and prolly wouldnt be able to ride without them...(short inseam). A little pricey the first time around, but rebuildable and you will save big there.

I had the side stand shortened about 1/4" to bring things back where they belonged but have not had anything done to the center stand. Is more difficult to get it on and off, but is not a big deal unless you are really loaded on the back end. I just use the sidestand unless working on the bike.

You may have a problem with some of the BMW dealers on modifying the side stand- a lot of them don't want the liability....If you end up going this route, PM me and I will give you the name of the dealer that did mine- they did a class job.

Ride safe-

See ya at the next DV if you are there...

Heck

Fitted Ohlins to mine and worth every penny. Ride is better, handling is better. The bike does not ground out on bouncy bends as it used to.

Go for it.

Andy

Fitted Ohlins to mine and worth every penny. Ride is better, handling is better. The bike does not ground out on bouncy bends as it used to.

Go for it.

Andy

Ditto here, especially the "bouncy bends" part.

Insure that you order the correct spring when ordering the shocks. Rider weight, driving style, and how much you pack will give them all the info they need.

wave.gifHi everyone,

Thanks for all the possitive and negative inputs as well regarding shocks replacement on my R1150RT that I received from all of you. I really want to replace my front and rear shocks before our next gathering at Torrey.

For the mean time, I will start cheking all the different brands shocks that you all recommended. Then I will browse the internet where I can get the shocks with fair price.

Again, I really appreciated all your inputs. Thanks to all...

Live to ride,

thumbsup.gifGery

Archived