IGNORED

second gear hot shift

567guy

I just bought fron bmwdealer 02 RTP 11000 miles not much summer in Canada so low miles, nice machine but I notice when run on hot day shifting into second an audible clack noise that seems a little excessive third not so much rest seem good, when cold does not seem to have the clack when shifing . I have 2 months warranty and only put on 4000miles a year{time and weather only allow 1 trip a year; am I worrying for no reason?

Yes. You'll learn to shift it smooth as butter....but it will still clank from time to time...and they don't charge extra for that feature!

That makes me feel a lot better if it is not unusual, my old 77 R100 has a transmission like a truck I tell people and my last bike a 85 K100 RT trans liked to be treated with a certain touch, I thought maybe this RTP would be free of any sounds that didn't make ne take note and listen. Thanks.

Yes. You'll learn to shift it smooth as butter....

Methinks he is speaking about lightly/moderately preloading the shifter lever just prior to, and a bit beyond, the actual shift. Do that, 567, and 'The Beast' becomes a lot less clacky.

Just don't read this thread . dopeslap.gif
You're cruel Jamie... grin.gif
I prefer: "a regular comedian"! wink.gif

Seriously, after reading "bmwmick's" post and it being the same bike and all . . . . crazy.gif

Just don't read this thread . dopeslap.gif

grin.giflmao.gifgrin.gif

Dang, Jamie. I was thinking about mentioning it, but thought I'd be nice today and not scare the guy to death.

BTW, you promised you'd test ride my bike to tell me if the vibration I felt in the front end was "real" or not, about a week before the transmission vibrated to a halt (8 months ago!). I'm still holding you to that. smirk.gif

That thread was what started to freak me out, I do preload shifter before shifts but as I am a chronic worryer and no machines up in this country to compare to, wanted some reassurance I have had such good service out of the old high milage bmw's If this new to me RTP ever breaks down I will never hear the end of it from the HD and metric crowd I hang with in this town.

That thread was what started to freak me out,
While we don't know for sure what happened to Scott's bike FWIW that kind of catastrophic internal failure is very uncommon, in fact I don't think I've ever heard of a case of a metallurgical failure of the internal gears like that before. In any event it certainly shouldn't be a common concern.

Now I am a happy guy. Thats the nice thing about bi polar . If you don't like the mood your in just wait a while and it will change!!!if next horror story of mechanical failure can just hold off for a couple of hours I will go home from work humming happily.

That thread was what started to freak me out,
While we don't know for sure what happened to Scott's bike FWIW that kind of catastrophic internal failure is very uncommon, in fact I don't think I've ever heard of a case of a metallurgical failure of the internal gears like that before. In any event it certainly shouldn't be a common concern.

But .. but.. my local BMW dealer service manager swore that this was "normal for a transmission that experienced oil failure .... gear oil is contaminated .. some sort of pinkish watery fluid ... transmission is totalled". That was right before they gave me the $3800 rebuild quote, and recommended I buy a rebuilt transmission. I'm glad I bought a BMW; the power trains last f-o-r-e-v-e-r (i.e. defined as about 57k miles, or 6 years, which ever comes first).

But, that's off-topic. I'm sure the cause was when I mixed Redline Heavy 50/50 with pink anti-freeze, trying to ensure the heat wouldn't get to my transmission. lmao.gif

Seriously, just pre-load your shifts, change your transmission fluid on schedule with Castrol Hypoy C 80W90 GL-5 Gear OIl, ride it like ya stole it, and if it breaks, fix it. It's only money, and what the heck, my son's probably not going to college anyhow. grin.gif

BTW, you promised you'd test ride my bike to tell me if the vibration I felt in the front end was "real" or not, about a week before the transmission vibrated to a halt (8 months ago!). I'm still holding you to that. smirk.gif
So come and join Gregori and me for this Last First fRideday Ride! We'll be swapping bikes and you can try two other R1150RT's and see how they compare to yours!! thumbsup.gif

Though in the interest of full disclosure I feel I should warn you: my bike's tranny still has that horrible RedLine in it . . . for the last 119,000 miles (of 125,000 total original tranny miles) and Leslie's bike has had RedLine in it for the last 96,000 miles (of 126,000 total original tranny miles). But of course we don't have the same M97 tranny as your RT-P, and neither of them have been rebuilt (yet wink.gif ) so the gears have not been properly undercut by Bruno . . . so don't expect them to shift like a Honda!! lmao.gif

So come and join Gregori and me for this Last First fRideday Ride! We'll be swapping bikes and you can try two other R1150RT's and see how they compare to yours!! thumbsup.gif

Though in the interest of full disclosure I feel I should warn you: my bike's tranny still has that horrible RedLine in it . . . for the last 119,000 miles (of 125,000 total original tranny miles) and Leslie's bike has had RedLine in it for the last 96,000 miles (of 126,000 total original tranny miles). But of course we don't have the same M97 tranny as your RT-P, and neither of them have been rebuilt (yet wink.gif ) so the gears have not been properly undercut by Bruno . . . so don't expect them to shift like a Honda!! lmao.gif

Would love to join, but I'd look pretty weird riding at the moment, with my left leg hanging in the air. You know how I am; I always have some kind of excuse for missing a TechDaze or ride. I broke my ankle & leg on June 2nd. I have a second surgery on July 20th, and hope to begin rehab by August. I'm hoping, HOPING, that I can be back on my bike by September. I had just finally gotten the bike back together in late May and had one 5 minute test ride. Then I pulled apart the front end to finish planned maintenance. The next weekend I went on my first vacation in 2 years, fishing at Mammoth, and the injury occurred. (Someone's pet dog took a fancy to me on the hiking trail, and hit me running flank speed down hill.)

Anyhow, I'll take a rain check on that ride. I'm currently crawling around on my garage floor trying to finish up the bike on one leg. It's slow going, but I kind of have the time.

grin.gif

And by the way, I think you will really be surprised how smoothly this thing shifts.

Cya in September.

- Scott

Archived