Wow - R12RT took 6.66 gallons today......

lthj75

maxfrankel

If you got 8 .1 gal into a 7.2 gal tank, I think you should contact your state's division of weights and measures and report the service station that sold you that tank!

If you got 8 .1 gal into a 7.2 gal tank, I think you should contact your state's division of weights and measures and report the service station that sold you that tank!

Good point!!!!

duckbubbles
Most she has ever taken thus far (7500 miles). That was after riding at -- miles left for about 15 miles.

Looks to me like you need to have your fuel quantity indicating system re-calibrated. I've put 6.1 gallons into my ST's 5.5 (official) sized tank. You've got to fill it to the brim. Takes patience and a co-operating fuel nozzle.

Frank

I would agree with you on that as well. I walked my RT with a bone dry tank off the freeway and only managed to get 7.213 gallons in it. I wish I could fit 8.1

duckbubbles

I would agree with you on that as well. I walked my RT with a bone dry tank off the freeway and only managed to get 7.213 gallons in it. I wish I could fit 8.1

Did you fill it completely full to the brim, I mean almost overflowing?

I don't know about 8.1 in an RT. My ST takes 5.5 when bone dry, filled to the bottom of the "cone" neck in the tank. But by keeping the gas flowing slowly, and filling it to the overflow point, it took 6.1. I don't recommend doing this unless you are going to ride the bike immediately for 30-40 miles before getting off.

My local tech told me that nowadays the fuel capacity is required to be demonstrably accurate for usable fuel quantity. My observances with my bike bear that out.

The only way to really try this out is to carry a container of gas with you. Ride the bike on empty until it runs out. Put the known quantity in and ride to a gas station. Fill the bike and fill the container back to where it was. Add the two together and that is your total usable fuel. Multiply that by your fuel mileage and that is your theoretical range on a tank. (Running the bike out of fuel will not damage the fuel pump. The engine stops and you aren't going to go anywhere.)

I do this procedure on any new bike I have because I just like knowing this stuff, rather than guessing and speculating.

Frank

Unimpressed... I have gotten 8.1 gallons into my RT.

I never thought about carrying gas in my side cases.. eek.gif

Archived