IGNORED

Gear Checklist

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

Did ya remember to bring ... ???

I always forget stuff. So when planning for my trip to Hollister on Friday, I made a checklist.

If you plan on going camping with your bike, you gotta remember a minimal amount of basic stuff, plus your own necessities (everyone is different).

Here are some good starting points:

http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

http://www.wetleather.com/pages/camping.html

Had a laugh on the reminder to bring Tampons....

They work great for bloody noses! We always kept a few in our med kit when I used to coach lacrosse.

Geez, talk about overkill. I could see it for a backpacking trip but on a bike? You'd need a trailer to carry all that crap. How far away from a town are you ever on a motorcycle and how hard is it to just stop and buy something?

Had a laugh on the reminder to bring Tampons....

They work great for bloody noses! We always kept a few in our med kit when I used to coach lacrosse.

Don't laugh. A few years back my buddy and I were touring Vancouver Island. He was riding a Yamaha FJ1100, I was on a Honda ST1100A.

His oil cooler cracked and sprung a tiny leak - just enough to dribble oil, which made my OCD neat-freak friend absolutely crazy. We tried everything: duct tape, epoxy, liquid weld. Nothing would stop the oil dribble.

To stop him from fretting (and to keep my sanity) I suggested he buy a box of feminine hygiene napkins and tape one over the leak to catch the oil, preventing it from spreading along the side of his bike. He did that and it worked. He changed the napkin at each gas stop, and was as happy as a pig in poop.

This story got written up in Motorcyclist magazine sine years ago as one of their 'tips'.

Years ago I used the second link as the basis of my checklist. I made it into a spreadsheet and it's been very helpful. It looks like a lot of items on the list, but if you know your way around a spreadsheet, you can whittle the list down quickly if: there are some items you ALWAYS keep on the bike (and there's no need to list them); you're not going camping on a given trip (you can eliminate the camping gear); etc.

The only other items I added were things like: leave money out for the cat-sitter; make sure there's juice and cereal for when I get home; water the plants; etc.

Having a checklist has spared me a lot of sleepness nights prior to a trip. Any thing that ever kept me tossing and turning at night (ie, don't forget "..." ) got added to the checklist, so it's one less thing I have to fret about!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

I am a huge "lists" person and believe in the best preparation. I have lost enough sleep to really appreciate this contribution. Thanks for the great links and thanks to everyone for their bits and pieces of advice.

Francois_Dumas

I read this and was getting very depressed...... SO many things to think of... AND carry on the bike in those few small cases !!???

I'll try and forget it and start over again, making my OWN little list of things that are REALLY important... then let Nina fill the remaining space lmao.giflmao.gif

Archived