IGNORED

06 RT - Wobbles

blazer

I just installed my ZT windscreen, and was riding around solo with an empty top case. Winds were < 15 mph. The bike got very wobbly and I had to slow down to < 45 mph to feel any stability. It almost felt like I was running on loose wheels. I have never experienced something like that before.

I tried different ESA settings and only Sport 2 up seemed to make a difference. Wind direction was really no help either.

Bike has 250 miles, tires are inflated to 36/42.

Not sure what else to check.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

B-

Bheckel169

Just to eliminate the obvious, were you riding on tar snakes? Yesterday I entered a road turning left and crossing obliquely and drove across fresh tar snakes. Very eerie and wobbly feeling.

BucksTherapy

Given the bike is so new - 250 miles - I would check all torques on suspension and wheels.

I would also take it back to the dealler to have them go over it.

Be careful.

Just to eliminate the obvious, were you riding on tar snakes? Yesterday I entered a road turning left and crossing obliquely and drove across fresh tar snakes. Very eerie and wobbly feeling.

Nope, no tar snakes.

B-

Given the bike is so new - 250 miles - I would check all torques on suspension and wheels.

I would also take it back to the dealer to have them go over it.

Be careful.

Yea, I was worried about that too.

I just rode it again, and while not as bad, still there. Feels like the front end is really light and that the rear isn't tracking well.

B-

In the process of working on the various prototypes for the California Scientific windshield for the R1200RT I went back and forth between the various shields numerous times trying to find the pluses and minuses of each shield. The VStream has some WIERD aerodynamic traits including noticeable instability under certain conditions. It was only really bothersome to me behind or passing big trucks. It was NEVER as bad as you are experiencing and MOST of the time was fine including some wind conditions of steady 15mph, gust to 30mph conditions.

I'm thinking you might be noticing those traits combined with something else that is adding up to the bigger problem. Why don't you start by going back to the stock shield and making sure everything is OK?

When you change something, and something changes, the first thing to change back is what you changed.

Put the old windscreen back on. Problem solved? Guess you know the culprit then.

What tires are you running? I've found on my RT that Michelin Pilot Roads made my bike feel "wobbly" on the highway, especially when trucks were nearby. I now have a Bridgestone BT021 on the rear the stability this tire has added is astounding. Handling in the fun stuff is great too. I probably ground off a quarter inch of my footpeg feelers on my trip to and from Biltmore.

What tires are you running? I've found on my RT that Michelin Pilot Roads made my bike feel "wobbly" on the highway, especially when trucks were nearby. I now have a Bridgestone BT021 on the rear the stability this tire has added is astounding. Handling in the fun stuff is great too. I probably ground off a quarter inch of my footpeg feelers on my trip to and from Biltmore.

+1 on the Pilot Sport wobblies. Mine are worn out so I'm shopping for new. Was thinking Conti-attacks but I hear they are soft.

Have you any comparison between the BT-020 and the BT-021?

GoGo Gadget

I get a wobble around trucks that is exacerbated with the windscreen up. The bike is also very susceptible to cross winds, more so than my '04 1150. The bike leans into the wind on its own pretty significantly. That effect is irregardless of the windscreen position.

I get a wobble around trucks that is exacerbated with the windscreen up. The bike is also very susceptible to cross winds, more so than my '04 1150. The bike leans into the wind on its own pretty significantly. That effect is irregardless of the windscreen position.

Do you have the ZT windscreen installed?

B-

GoGo Gadget

Do you have the ZT windscreen installed?

B-

Nope, stock BMW windscreen.

I went thru 2 sets of Metzler Z6's before I could confirm they were the bigest factor in the bike' 'wiggles'. Went to the Avon Storms and they are much more stable but have a tendency to 'turn in' almost to quickly which can be a little un-nerving.

Not sure what I will try next, I have 8,000kms on the Avons and looks like at least 4-5k more left in the rear. Hard to say for sure, I got caught with the darn Z6's a long way from home with canvas showing eek.gif.

Jim W.

Try taking the trunk off to see how it handles.

I find my '06 RT handles much better solo with no box.

That was the ticket! With me and the ZT windscreen, the bike wobbles with the trunk on. Replace the ZT with the stocker, and the bike behaves fine with the trunk on. Remove the trunk, and the bike is fine with the ZT.

Brian

With the trunk and and my wife, no problem.

With no wife and the trunk, the bike moves around a bit more.

The Z6's do seem a bit twitchy and I don't like the fact that there is no tread pattern down the center of the rear tire.

How can you really tell how much tread you have left!

So for I have just over 9000 Kms on the Z6's and they seem to have plenty of tread left.... on the sides! In the center, who knows. confused.gif

With the trunk and and my wife, no problem.

With no wife and the trunk, the bike moves around a bit more.

The Z6's do seem a bit twitchy and I don't like the fact that there is no tread pattern down the center of the rear tire.

How can you really tell how much tread you have left!

So for I have just over 9000 Kms on the Z6's and they seem to have plenty of tread left.... on the sides! In the center, who knows. confused.gif

That's why I just replaced my Z6s with a set of Pilot Roads, before I leave next week for the west coast.

BTW, in May I rode to Utah, and back, with Z6s, a ZT windscreen, and the large BMW topcase. I didn't really notice any wobbling.

JustKrusen

I took a 3500 mile trip back in April. I rode solo with my trunk(49) and ZT. I hated the way it moved around on the interstate. The shock had to be set at 1 plus luggage and the sport setting to make it acceptable. I sold the trunk and bought a tank bag when I returned home. My bike rides much better now. thumbsup.gif

I had a loose pich bolt on front wheel that caused what you are describing.

Scott

Where is exactly is that?

I have a similar situation and I have a ZT windscreen.

I have a ZT windscreen and the 49L top case. I usually lower the screen when I pass big trucks and it feels pretty stable.

Bheckel169

I have had two sets of Pilot Roads and a GIVI top case and no wobbles, ever! I do have the medium, Aeroflow windscreen and it is extremely good at reducing buffeting.

Bruce

Archived