IGNORED

Any tips/tricks when changing gearbox oil?

NEOHMark

Specifically - to keep the used gear oil from 'peeing' all over the right peg plate and brake lever? Is there a standard tube/hose diameter that one can shove in there to direct it all outward? It almost looks like a funnel, cutoff from the tip at approximately the right diameter, would work well.

Anyone suggestions? Thanks.

Mark

moshe_levy

The cardboard tube left over from a used-up roll of toilet paper works perfectly. It's not glamorous, I know, but it does the job as well as anything else, and you likely have one lying around.

-MKL

I just did this twice yesterday. My method was to 'pee' everywhere and let it drip into the pan. I cleaned up afterward. This just doesn't sound right.

A better method might be to use an extended oil funnel as the top is at an angle anyway. The oil did not flow until the plug was all the way out, so you could work with both hands and just put the funnel under when the plug was hand tight. I think you may get splashing though so I stick with the peeing method. The 75/140 did not fall out far enough to hit the brake it was cold so I just let it drain longer, the new hot 75/90 did (but most people do not drain new oil) dopeslap.gif.

Just remember to pull the top plug first, even if most instructions show it the other way. This way if the top plug does not budge you still have oil in the gearbox.

Also do the final drive at the same time as it is easy while you are there and they take the same oil.

Finally do not run the rear wheel unloaded as it can make some concerning drive line lashing noises.

Thanks, psm (and of course - KMG for that excellent tech post).

The 1.5" ABS PVC sounds just like the ticket. thumbsup.gif

The cardboard tube left over from a used-up roll of toilet paper works perfectly. It's not glamorous, I know, but it does the job as well as anything else, and you likely have one lying around.

-MKL

+1

I also tend to (when I remember) slide some tin foil up between the exhaust and the metal plate by the footrest, but the toilet paper/paper towel roll is definitly the key to keeping everything as clean as possible. I cut a notch out of the end of the tube so it slides under where the oil drains.

And thanks for the toilet paper roll idea too. If I'm feeling a little too lazy to go to the hardware store between now and oil change day, I'll go that route.

This place is great! clap.gif

And thanks for the toilet paper roll idea too. If I'm feeling a little too lazy to go to the hardware store between now and oil change day, I'll go that route.

This place is great! clap.gif

Laziness is the real mother of invention..... lmao.gif

Advanced auto parts has one like this one but has about a 10" hose on the end with a cap on it. It screws on the bottles of oil with the small mouth as well as the large like AMSOIL. I think the cost was around $3 and it has an on and off feature at the bottle. It worked great and no mess what so ever.

885826-product_MDSPOUT.jpg.e5ecbe5fb64e2c390a7c346fb5e257e3.jpg

Sierra Smokey

I use the top half of a 20 ounce bottle of Pepsi (with the wide mouth). With the bike on the centerstand, I first slip the neck of the bottle over the drain plug housing. Then I place my hex head 3/8" drive socket and extension down the middle of the bottle with my ratchet and take out the plug. A piece of duct tape holds the bottle to the footpeg mount. Then I just let the gooey stinky oil dribble out of the end of the bottle and not onto my bike. I can then carefully tilt the bike to the right (off the centerstand) to get the last of the oil out. I use a small hand pump to fill'er back up with fresh and even stinkier oil.

I use a small hand pump to fill'er back up with fresh and even stinkier oil.
I love the smell of gear oil in the morning. dopeslap.gif

I put a 1/4 thick piece of wood under the left center stand leg. This tilts the bike just enough so all the stinky stuff goes straight thru the tube and none on the cat converter or pipes.

I put a 1/4 thick piece of wood under the left center stand leg. This tilts the bike just enough so all the stinky stuff goes straight thru the tube and none on the cat converter or pipes.
Hey--there's a neat trick I've GOT to try! smile.gif

. . . and I didn't even need to ride to a Tech Daze to learn it! Thanks, Carl! thumbsup.gif

Archived