IGNORED

Short guy with passenger needs a better windscreen

Bob_Minor

So after years of begging (by me), my wife has finally started taking a few trips on the back of my RT. Her only complaint on comfort is from wind buffeting which I understand is pretty intense for the passenger on an 1100RT. I'm short (5'06") and my wife is about an inch taller. I hate looking through plastic so I'm hoping I don't have to go a lot taller than stock to fix the problem. Any good recomendations?

We're both an inch shorter than what you specify, and have been fighting this issue for years. No good solution found yet. The problem seems to be that the still-air pocket that protects the rider collapses right on the passenger; she gets beat-up pretty good! We've tried Secdem, now we have a Cee Bailey's "Design #2" with the Euro Cut (so I can see), that I put on when Jane rides with me and remove it when I ride solo. It's not too bad for me, and marginally better for her.

I'm afraid not much help other than to relate our experience. Good luck!

We're both an inch shorter than what you specify, and have been fighting this issue for years. No good solution found yet. The problem seems to be that the still-air pocket that protects the rider collapses right on the passenger; she gets beat-up pretty good! We've tried Secdem, now we have a Cee Bailey's "Design #2" with the Euro Cut (so I can see), that I put on when Jane rides with me and remove it when I ride solo. It's not too bad for me, and marginally better for her.

I'm afraid not much help other than to relate our experience. Good luck!

That's pretty much what I was afraid of; no real solution. I actually find the stock windshield to be pretty good MOST of the time for just me but my guess is the pillion would be better off on a non-faired bike. Maybe I should just bite the bullet, buy a really big Cee Bailey and accept that two-up=looking through plastic.

Thanks for the input.

California Scientific is the way to go for smooth airflow and lack of turbulence. Try their normal size (labeled "large") see if it works for your height.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1150RTprod.html

Vstream if you want more protection and don't want any cooling airflow but that sounds like a really bad idea for anyone normal height or less.

If I have to look THROUGH a windshield, I'll drive a car instead - just my opinion.

Good website and their focus seems to be on the elimination of turbulence. Has anyone else out there tried Cal Scientific?

I'd never heard of them before. confused.gif

They are in Sacramento, not too far away. I might just run up there and take a look, although I'm getting tired of shelling out +/- $200 on various windshields just to have them be no or not much better than the last. frown.gif On the other hand, if I found something that did make it better for my wife, it'd be worth it, since she rides with me about 60% of the time and I enjoy having her along.

Bob, since we're both looking for the same thing, keep in touch. If you should try this, let me know, and I'll do the same.

Peter, if you can visit Cal Sci maybe they'd let you try one with the promise that you'll do a review on this site. I'm sure we're not the only ones trying to fix this problem.

And definitely, let's stay in touch on this.

Francois_Dumas

Hmmmm.... I just bought and mounted (but due to bad weather not yet tested) a new screen (Marathon Screen from Wunderlich). But our 'problem' is the other way 'round. I am a tall guy with a small wife behind me (Nina can JUST peek over my shoulder).

I was having problems with excessive wind noise because the stock screen was too low. If I 'ducked' just an inch or less even, the noise was gone.....

Buffeting only in gale force winds (which we have here often)..... don't think that will go away smirk.gif

Nina on the back DOES complain about a cold back sometimes, meaning the wind indeed 'folds' over the rider and comes down on the pillion.

If the 'Sci' boys would have been in Europe, I'd certainly have considered them. But I was afraid ordering a screen from a web pic all the way over in the States..... frown.gif

I DO like the idea of the vents getting rid of the low pressure area inside the screen.

ElevenFifty

5'9" wife is 5'7" - We use a VStream and she never complains. I have her open her visor and while there is a little wind noise picked up by her mike - it's negligable. I always adjust the screen down to get a good breeeze on my face - I wear glasses and always (except in rain) ride with the visor up

CanadianRT

Hi all,

Just thought I would toss my 2 cents worth in. We have the same problem, My wife get way more air movement than me, infact so much more that we have to put the autocom noise sensor on her helmet instead of mine. That's Another story. Anyways, I just bought a cee bailey's design 3 with 6+ inch taller and 4+ inch wider windscreen (of course the biggest they make) and I will let you guys know how it works once I finally receive it (3 + weeks already)

Cheers,

Chris

Archived