IGNORED

Any suggestions on how to mount my magnetic tank bag on my 05 RT?

Wildwestrider

Wildwestrider

I have 3 good magnetic tank bags in the garage. Now have a 2005 RT with no tank bag........anyone had any success mounting a magnetic mount tank bag on an RT with straps or other method of securing?

Brian in Austin

W. Mazelin

e-bay the three old bags to produce funds for a new RT tankbag. I think it would be a lot of work, & hassle to try to retrofit a magnetic bag with a base for a strap type model. Now that I've said that, someone here will probably tell us both how easy it is! grin.gif

e-bay the three old bags to produce funds for a new RT tankbag. I think it would be a lot of work, & hassle to try to retrofit a magnetic bag with a base for a strap type model. Now that I've said that, someone here will probably tell us both how easy it is! grin.gif

Sure, order some "rare earth magnets" from any woodworking store. They come in 1" dia and about 1/8" thick.

Use CA glue and glue them to the underside of your tupperware to match where the tank bag magnets are located. Remember to mount them so they attract, rather than repel your tank bag magnets.

Works like a charm.

You could cut down the "wings" that the magnets are housed in. Sew up the edges (or have some one do it) and make some elongated button holes. Then use some ¾ inch webbing with a couple of buckles to make for a quick disconnect and adjustment. Then attach to the tank rail system.

Although, I do like the magnet idea. Just make sure all you bags’ magnets are orientated the same way or the magnet and glue method will only work the bag(s) oppositely charged.

markgoodrich

My Oxford tank bag is magnetic, came with all sorts of straps for plastic tanks, none of which I've ever used, on several bikes. It has a strap that goes around the steering head, which holds the bag in place, and the weight of the magnets keeps the bag from flapping around, even when it's empty. A simple flip up to add fuel.

If your problem is that you don't have a strp to hold the bag on, like I do, maybe you could use some zip ties to do the same thing...worth a try, and cheaper than a new bag.

RoadJunkie

Epoxy a strong, flat, magnet on the opposite (hidden) side of the tupperware that will mate with your bag? Watch polarity, however.

I wasn't about to chuck my mag bag so I mounted it on the rear plate and it looks trick ( per independent observer). IMO the fuel tank is humpy enough without a bag and the fuel tank is easier to access without a bag BMW or no. tongue.gif

John Diakonis

I don't know if anyone is still viewing this post but on my R 1100 S I didn't want the rear straps going over my paint so I installed a semicircular strip of industrial clear velcro on the rear part of my fuel cap and matching part on the tank bag and it works perfectly. Two weeks ago I rode 1800 miles in the Smokies and just got back from the national without any problems. Just lift up for fuel and it's a very clean look.

Archived