IGNORED

Introduction and gearbox question

ConnMan

javascript:void(0)

wave.gifI have been lurking for some time, probably since just before I got the 1150GS last summer. I live in the South Coast of MA, but will be moving to CT by the end of the summer. I have had in order, 83 Kaw KZ1000, Yamaha FJ1200, Triumph Daytona 1200, Aprillia Futura, Finally the 1150GS, the best yet!javascript:void(0)

clap.gif

I just changed the oil in the gearbox and final drive. All seamed to go well. But I turned the bike on and put light power to the wheel in 1st and 2nd and the gearbox made truly awful noises. More than a vibration, an intermittent clunk. It sounded like the gears do when changing, but that wasn't happening.

I read up on it some and decided to try 75/140 instead of the 75/90. SO I changed it again same noise.

I was about to give up and I was very worried, when I figured I would put her off the center stand and see what happens. I rode up and down my driveway without plugs or helmet (I felt neked) and all sounded good. I suited up, and headed out slowly. Did some slow speed maneuvers for a while, hit the back roads and then the highway. All seems fine.

Is there a problem with putting any power to the rear wheel while on the center stand? Does anyone know what happened? wave.gifwave.gif

Welcome!

Probably drive lash. I wouldn't worry about it. They're not supposed to be ridden in the garage anyway, you know.

But I turned the bike on and put light power to the wheel in 1st and 2nd and the gearbox made truly awful noises. More than a vibration, an intermittent clunk. It sounded like the gears do when changing, but that wasn't happening.
Well it shouldn't be making any truly awful noises, on the centerstand or not. Without hearing it just a guess, but sounds like one gear's shift dogs may be barely contacting another gear, possibly caused by a worn or bent shift fork. Did the drained OK look OK? (the drained oil and the new oil should look pretty much the same.) If you are worried you can put a few thousand miles on the new oil and then draw a sample and send it to Blackstone for an analysis. If anything really bad is going on it should show up in the results.

I have to disagree with Seth "smiller" on this one. Running it in gear on the center stand causes all kinds of drive train lash clatter from loading and unloading that is perfectly normal. Especially on our bikes.

Indeed some unscrupulous mechanics will use the trick to sell all manners of unneeded service on bikes.

Running it in gear on the center stand causes all kinds of drive train lash clatter from loading and unloading that is perfectly normal.
A slight amount of clatter or an intermittent clunk while running unloaded, yes, and noisier than a Japanese transmission, yes, but I've never heard anything that could be described as 'truly awful' noises coming from a good oilhead gearbox although that admittedly is a matter of perception. I'll agree that if it's nothing but an intermittent clunk with no grinding noise then yeah, it's probably just driveline lash but I haven't heard it and don't know for sure... could be a case of an inexperienced owner worrying about nothing or it could be a potential problem. In any event if I had any doubts (especially considering the number of maladies that can affect these things) I would suggest blowing all of $25 on an oil sample to be sure.

"could be a case of an inexperienced owner worrying about nothing or it could be a potential problem."

I'll agree with that one big time !

If this is your first oilhead, welcome to the world of extraneous noises !

I've had mine for 2 months now and still cannot get used to it !

"what the hell have I bought" is a question that often went through my head !

Uhhh... I think they call it 'character'... grin.gif
Stan Walker

Apparently, not earplugs..... smile.gif

Stan

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I rode mine down the block yestereday with no helmet on to blow off some water after I washed it. First time and I was truly amazed at how noisy this bike is mechanically, but never thought for a minute that anything was wrong. Just a lot noisier than any Japanese bikes I have had.

Yeah, character. That's it.

Welcome (almost) to the neighborhood!

There's actually quite a few of use in the Central CT area. Watch the postings for the next NorthEast Tech Daze. Then we can all listen to your 1150...although it will probably require us to test-drive it for a weekend in order to truly evaluate it under load. eek.gif

Will you be commuting into Hartford?

Thank you all. I really appreciate the comments.

"could be a case of an inexperienced owner worrying about nothing or it could be a potential problem."

I am now sure it is just my first time hearing a Shaft Drive unloaded. Funny the chain drives always sounded fine on the stand. Great Character this one. I hopefully will never hear the noise again as I don't plan to do any more riding in the garage. grin.gif

The oil I pulled the first time looked thick and dark. If it was 75/140 dino oil then it looked like it was supposed to. The oil out of the second change looked like it had only been in the bike for 45 seconds of run time. Such a shame to waste Mobil 1 75/90 like that. No metal on either change though.

Back to intro - I am moving to Avon and I will have no commute at all. I will teach and live on site at a school in town. I wanted to give a bit more back and summers off sounded too good as I only get three weeks now.

I am a Mechanical Engineer working in reliability in the chemical industry now, so this will be a big change. That is also why I thought it could be drive line lash (nothing to worry about) or something serious. I will definitely try to make the tech daze as I have much to learn and will be loosing a garage in the deal. I may not always make it, as my life will be long stretches that are very busy and long stretches of vacation.

Try to keep the shiny side up. If you don't wash it much, like me, try to keep the rubber side down.

Archived