IGNORED

Oxygen sensor removal?

tgrrdr

Is there some trick to it? The manual says "remove oxygen sensors with socket (no. 11 7 020)." I did a search and found a post that said you can use a "crescent wrench" instead of the special socket. I tried it with an adjustable wrench and it wouldn't budge. My pipe is pretty corroded so I'm replacing with one I bought on eBay - I'd probably be done by now if I could get the oxygen sensors out. Do you think the corrosion could be the problem?

thanks,

Bill

CIMG1105.jpg

Ye Gods, stay away from a Crescent wrench for this job. Removing old O2 sensors can be a bear as they can practically weld themselves in, or at least it can seem so. The special socket is the best tool but they can also be removed with a box-end wrench (you'll have to cut off the connector but if the sensor is being replaced it won't matter, and if your sensor is as old as it looks you should probably consider replacing it.) Penetrating oil helps (only if you will be replacing the sensor as oil can damage it) but make sure you thoroughly degrease everything afterwards so as not to foul the new sensor. Or wait a minute... if you're replacing the exhaust system and use a new sensor then you won't have to remove the old one at all... wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Get a 22mm or 7/8" 6 point flare nut wrench. It will have a slot in it that you can slip the wire through. They usually come paired and I have been known to use a zizz wheel to cut the mating side off so I can slip a cheater bar over the stub left behind. You could also bang on the wrench with a big hammer. They will take an enormous amount of force before they slip.

Since you have the header off the bike, you're gonna be in for an interesting wrestling match. Don't be surprised to find the header reaching around an whacking you in the ear. eek.gif

they can practically weld themselves in, or at least it can seem so.

thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I gave it another shot and was able to get both sensors out - took more force than I thought it would.

Regarding replacing the sensors - at $150 each I'm not sure I want to replace them if it's not necessary. Do they wear out? Can you tell by loking at them if they need to be replaced or is there some way to test them?

How does this one look (the other one looked similar)?

CIMG1131.jpg

You can't tell if an O2 sensor is good by appearance but they can be tested while in operation, Google for the procedure and you'll get many hits. An O2 sensor does have a finite life. If they get really bad the MIL ('Check Engine') light will illuminate, sometimes. Typical life is 60-100k miles. If you need two and they're really $150 each then I understand your hesitancy... I was thinking that you only needed one, at a more typical online cost of <$100.

Both O2 sensors are monitored by the BMS-K module and if either has an issue it will set a fault. If you have no engine fault icon being displayed, it's reasonably safe to assume they are OK.

Change em out with a Bosch 4-wire O2 Sensor. About 90 bucks at NAPA or any other parts store.

Tell em you want a HEATED 4 wire sensor off of say..a 2002 BMW 320.

Splice the wires as such..2 whites..O2 heaters..not polarity sensitive

1 grey..signal ground

1 black...signal

Solder them and use heat shrink tubing

Be sure to install with a good anti-seize paste. I prefer a copper based compound.

You might find the bike runs better with a new O2 sensor

Good luck...Rog

If you need two and they're really $150 each then I understand your hesitancy... I was thinking that you only needed one, at a more typical online cost of <$100.

$150 was the price from Chicago BMW; Max BMW's price was $186.

Both O2 sensors are monitored by the BMS-K module and if either has an issue it will set a fault. If you have no engine fault icon being displayed, it's reasonably safe to assume they are OK.

No fault icons and the bike only has 34,000 miles so I'll assume everything is operating as it should be.

Change em out with a Bosch 4-wire O2 Sensor...

Based on my previous "success" with soldering I'm not sure I want to modify a sensor from another application for use on my RT.

Archived