IGNORED

Garmin 276C Question

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I would like to change the distance before a turn that I am giving notification of that turn and thought I could do so but haven't been able to find it in the manual. It seems as though my old Streetpilot gave notification sooner. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of any adjustment for this. I've used the 276C for some time now and don't think that adjustment is available. If MattS is monitoring this, maybe he'll chime in.

Like Johnlt, have been using my 276c for about three years and also am not aware of any change to this deffault setting.

If you go to the set up menu for the Garmin. Go to the ALARMS tab. There you will see a selection for TURNS. It is most likely set to AUTO now. If you tab to that field it will allow you to select either DISTANCE or TIME as the method and also allow you to set the distance or time you would prefer for the alert.

If you go to the set up menu for the Garmin. Go to the ALARMS tab.

Roger that, but on my 276C the "alarms" is a separate menu from setup.

If you go to the set up menu for the Garmin. Go to the ALARMS tab.

Roger that, but on my 276C the "alarms" is a separate menu from setup.

Sorry, I was using "set-up menu" as the generic spot where you access the various menu options;didn't have the unit near me so was working from memory.

A more precise explanation would be to go to the ALARMS menu and then to the NAV tab. NEXT TURN is the first option below on this tab and is most likely set to AUTO (not vehicle but calculation type). Tab down to where it says AUTO and hit the enter button. You should see four choices OFF/DIST/TIME/AUTO. If you want to customize the timing of the alerts select either DIST or TIME by highlighting it and hitting the enter button. Once you've done this the highlighted area will move to the right; where you will enter the time or distance you would like the NEXT TURN instruction to occur.

Hope this clarifies how to do it. thumbsup.gif

I have a 276C, but never knew you could do that. Anybody know what criteria are used when it's set to "Auto", which is has been since I got it in 2005.

I have a 276C, but never knew you could do that. Anybody know what criteria are used when it's set to "Auto", which is has been since I got it in 2005.

On page 71 of the owners manual ( Rev D . . . before someone complains about the page number being incorrect crazy.gif); it only calls out that AUTO allows the "ALARM" to occur at the unit's discretion . . . whatever that means. dopeslap.gif

I'd say that if you've been happy with the turn alarms timing in the past . . . just leave it on AUTO

Steve Kolenda

David,

I original thought that the alarms page was where the adjustment needed to be made but changing that from auto to distance makes no difference. At least on my unit.

David,

I original thought that the alarms page was where the adjustment needed to be made but changing that from auto to distance makes no difference. At least on my unit.

So the NEXT TURN didn't come up at the new distance that you set?

No, there was no change.

not sure why. works for me. confused.gif

I do mine by time not distance, so I have a semi-consistent warning based on my speed.

Steve Kolenda

David,

I tried to change it by distance. I find that especially when I am in traffic and moving slow, it won't tell me which way my next turn is until I'm within less than .2 miles which can be a problem if your in the wrong lane. I will try it again but can't imagine how I could have messed it up.

Archived