IGNORED

Need advice on helmet for hot weather.

RTS

I have a full face helmet that's too hot for local commutes in southern California. After stopping at a few traffic lights in hot weather, I'm sweating. I'm now shopping for a second helmet.

I was leaning toward an open face helmet, but noticed some cruisers today wearing the half or shorty helmets. I noticed a local police officer wearing a shorty too. Now I can't make up my mind.

Anyone have any thoughts or strong opinions on this? Will an open face helmet be cool enough to be running around town?

I realize that the shorty helmets don't have all the safety ratings, but they look so much cooler.

Just a comment-

You wear a helmet for protection. There are different degrees of protection out there and you have to be comfortable with the amount of protection you are willing to give up during hot weather. A full face will give you the best protection by far. Having said that, I wear a flip face 8 months out of the year and a 3/4 the other time...I know I am giving up face protection with the 3/4, but for basically the same reason, I choose to wear it during hot weather riding.

It is a personal choice.....

Couchrocket

If you do decide that a 3/4 is what you need, take a look at either the Shoei J-wing, or the Arai SZ. Both are very light, flow lots of air, and have "full" shields.

I also notice in your avatar photo that your FF helmet has a "clear" face shield. If that's what you're running in the heat of the day, no wonder you're roasting in that terrarium. If it is a brand that provides the "iridium" shield option, pick up a mirror/blue shield for it. You'll be astounded at how good the heat rejection is. I live in an even hotter area of So Cal than you do, and do just fine w/ my Shoei and blue iridium shield cracked about 1/2" open at the bottom, vents full open.

...and even if an Iridium shield is not available, a dark tinted shield will have a huge effect on helmet interior temps.

I wear an Arai full face all the time. The only times it has become uncomfortable is when the temps are exceeding 110 and engine heat is being wafted up under the chin at very slow speeds. IMO, this heat effect would be even worse with an open face or shorty helmet.

I recently switched over to a ICON Domain (www.rideicon.com). The styling is a little bit love/hate, but with all the vents it pushes a TON of air through the helmet and weighs next to nothing. It is a little bit more noisy than my previous HJC, but overall I have been very happy with it.

I wear the rubatone flat black model with a mirrored visor and have ridden into the high 90's and high humidity (90%+) with no heat issues.

RonStewart
I wear the rubatone flat black model ...
Of course, flat black is the absolute worst colour for heat management. Gloss white is optimal. I can't say how much practical effect this has, given all the styrofoam insulation between the shell and your head, but if I were buying a helmet specifically for hot weather, I would go with gloss white, styling be damned.
Of course, flat black is the absolute worst colour for heat management. Gloss white is optimal. I can't say how much practical effect this has, given all the styrofoam insulation between the shell and your head, but if I were buying a helmet specifically for hot weather, I would go with gloss white, styling be damned.

I suppose I agree, but I never had an issue with riding in hot weather so it never concerned me. I went went through Nebraska and South Dakota a few years ago at about 110-115 degrees. I only had my visor cracked open one notch, and that was with my old dark blue HJC that didn't have any vents. I pretty much don't open the visor at all since I got the ICON.

I suppose I agree, but I never had an issue with riding in hot weather so it never concerned me. I went went through Nebraska and South Dakota a few years ago at about 110-115 degrees. I only had my visor cracked open one notch, and that was with my old dark blue HJC that didn't have any vents. I pretty much don't open the visor at all since I got the ICON.

Keith's fine with his helmet. He doesn't have hot weather up there.

95 degrees and 95% humidity here all summer long. Sorry, I'm old school. White reflects the heat, black absorbs it.

Vast improvement's in helmet design over the years. I wear a Nolan N-102 with the visor open one click. Makes for a bit of a breeze. Venting is nice.

Whatever helmet your wearing here it's still frickin hot.

ISYHTRAH

Keith's fine with his helmet. He doesn't have hot weather up there.

95 degrees and 95% humidity here all summer long. Sorry, I'm old school. White reflects the heat, black absorbs it.

Vast improvement's in helmet design over the years. I wear a Nolan N-102 with the visor open one click. Makes for a bit of a breeze. Venting is nice.

Whatever helmet your wearing here it's still frickin hot.

ISYHTRAH

I wear the same helmet, gloss white. When it is 95/95 here is S. IL it's still hot. But my head is worth a lot for me so I suffer with the heat knowing that it only takes once.

DAMHIK

Archived