IGNORED

Hall sensor?

Kenny Haynes

Kenny Haynes

My 99 rt started running erratically tonight on my way out of Nashville. Acted a little like it was starving for fuel, but I was showing 4 bars and only have about 180 miles on this tank. When I looked down at the tach, it was bouncing around even though the engine speed was constant, and it did that several times, even after the engine died. Finally quit on me and I was fortunate to make it to the side of I65. It restarted, but would not run for long. I was lucky enough to get help from Mr. Baker. After it sat for a while it restarted ok, but I haven't tried to ride it again yet.

Came through about a 60 mile band of showers yesterday on the way over here, so it seems like the right conditions for the sensor failure. Bike has about 56k on it.

Any thoughts from the experts?

When I looked down at the tach, it was bouncing around even though the engine speed was constant, and it did that several times, even after the engine died.
I believe that symptom is a dead giveaway for an HES insulation failure. Check in the 'problem area' (under the heat shrink that's clamped to the HES mounting plate) and you'll probably find the insulation to be heat damaged. If not... well you'll eventually need to replace it anyway...

That was my instant guess when he called, especially with the tach behavior. If it weren't for that, it might be explained by a failing fuel pump, but I don't know any other explanation other than HES. It fired right up later, by the way, but it's still not something I'd take on a trip.

Charles Elms

When you pull your tank off, be sure to remove the coil and inspect it carefully. My coil had a hairline crack between the plastic case and the epoxy that covers the workings. I sealed the crack with silicon and replaced the HES, Wires, and Plugs because I had ordered the parts - bike is 97 and it would not hurt to replace those components. I have yet to inspect my old HES: it's on the 'to do list'. My next purchase is a used coil to have just-in-case.

Kenny Haynes

Thanks for the replies. I just got it home and rode it around the neighborhood long enough to get it hot, but no failures today. Probably order the sensor this week anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I just got it home and rode it around the neighborhood long enough to get it hot, but no failures today. Probably order the sensor this week anyway.

Check with BMWMick for the sensor. He makes (rebuilds) them with better wiring than stock and less $ than a BMW part. thumbsup.gif

Check with BMWMick for the sensor. He makes (rebuilds) them with better wiring than stock and less $ than a BMW part. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the 'plug' Mike but YOU got my last one. smile.gif)

I'm waiting on one more 'core' to be returned and I'll order the parts to rebuild some more of them.

Mick

Tucson

Parrothead

I'll be doing mine in the next week or so. Same problem as you, crapped out in the heat. I have a 96 with 65K on the clock, its due................

Archived