IGNORED

I'm Posting This To Flog Myself.....

HappyMan

I left on a trip today. Sick and not at the top of my game. Shouldn't have done that but didn't want to disappoint my son who had waited half a year for this trip. I seldom travel the slab and mostly take back roads, but today, in an effort to save a little time because I left late (being ill can throw off your timing, so to speak tongue.gif) I headed north on US 35 North. Before I got to Duluth I hit a pot hole that ran a good 20' if not more. Hard to tell at 75 mph. The seam between the two lanes had blown out. I should have seen it coming. I'm better than this and I'm a little torqued! I was in the right hand lane coming up on a car. I should have pulled into the left hand lane sooner. Given myself more time. I was definitely not at the top of my game so I really shouldn't have been driving but "suck it up and tought it out" I told myself. So because I didn't leave myself enough room the pot hole came out from under the car in front of me as I was pulling into the lane. Fortunately I did a quick sweep instead of a long meandering turn into the lane. If I had taken it slow the bike would have followed down the entire blown out gap between the two slabs of pavement. I'm sure I would have gone down. Screwed up the bike real bad and I had to return home anyway.

So I'm posting this to state the obvious. I am constantly reminded by so many of you that have also made mistakes and I've appreciated it. So, swallow my pride.....gulp.....I should have done way better than this today and I'm ashamed. frown.gif Hope this helps someone else.

W. Mazelin

Consider yourself flogged. Next, I sentence you to be hanged by the neck . . . until you cheer up!

What kind of battle damage was sustained?

What kind of battle damage was sustained?

The obvious damage was the wheel and tire. By the time I'm done shipping the tire overnight to get it here on time for us to leave and still make the vacation schedule it's gonna run me around $1100 Bucks! There are cheaper ways but quite frankly the time I spend with my kids is priceless. I may not be wealthy but I'm not stupid either. This will be a trip he will never forget!! thumbsup.gif

W. Mazelin

$1,100!? Holy $hit! From that amount of cash, I assume the wheel was somewhat FUBAR as well. A good (and expensive) reminder to keep a good following distance. I have a high level of confidence that before the trip is started, the thoughts and plans for this moto-raid will outclass in every way, the price paid for this repair. Like you said: "This will be a trip he will never forget!! thumbsup.gif" Oh, yea, one more thing, you won't forget either.

Yes the wheel and tire were pretty trashed. It didn't lose air though. I'm pretty sure it damaged the tire from the looks of it though. I took a slow ride back home..... $700 something for the rim plus Z6 plus overnight shipping plus service, etc., etc.

As for a trip to remember; the first time I did the circle tour I was sixteen driving a 78 Yamy Vertical Twin. Shook a lot like my bike today... lmao.gif By the time I got to Sault Ste Marie my foot was bruised and my helmet was chipped from kick starting the bike. The battery was almost gone so the only way I could get it to start was to kick it. 650cc firing back at me threw me into the windshield. blush.gif My foot was so sore from starting the bike it was hard to walk on. Got a new battery in Michigan. Oh yeah, my chain had stretched to a point that I couldn't tighten it anymore and both tires were bald by this point. Ahhh to be sixteen again!!! Never forgot that trip. Couldn't wait to make memories with my kids but not this way! dopeslap.gif

It surely is amazing how quickly things appear out from under the car in front of you. Hard to keep enough following distance in even medium traffic for those kind of surprises. Good reminder not to get lulled into a sense of security while slabbing it. All because the last hundred miles were just fine doesn't mean the next thirty feet will be.

Archived