IGNORED

2007 K1200GT aux power source

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I'm going to be installing an Autocom setup in my buddy's '07 K1200GT. I've never messed with a CANbus bike, and I wondering where I can pick up switched power for the Autocom. Ideas?

Lets_Play_Two
I'm going to be installing an Autocom setup in my buddy's '07 K1200GT. I've never messed with a CANbus bike, and I wondering where I can pick up switched power for the Autocom. Ideas?

Here is what I was told by Fernando:

"For starters, you will need to purchase a Touratech CANbus Bypass power buss. This is part # 044-0450. We have them or you can order them through your dealer. Price is about $50. This provides battery-direct power, triggered by a built-in relay that you can connect to the positive lead going to your accessory port. Turn the key on and the battery bypasses the CANbus system and directly powers up to five accessories. Turn the key off and the power to those accessories will shut off in about 60 seconds. The best place to position this on a K12GT is to go under the fuel tank on the forward-facing surface of the airbox. It's neat, tidy and out of the way."

chrisolson

Although the can bus adaptor is great, its a bit of overkill for just hooking up an autocom or most small accessories which draw minimal power. Take off the battery cover and taped or wire tied to the cross frame on the right is a factory plug which has switched power and ground and a third wire with power intended for working with the BMW GPS. Although mine is an '06 I believe its the same for '07. It is electronically fused as it is a monitored circuit.

The mating half of the plug is available, or tap into the wire or use small single pin connectors. Don't remember off-hand which of the three wires to use, but I'll get it if you want to use this method.

Works great on mine to run both a Zumo and intercom....no problems.

As an alternative to the above you can tap into the rear of the accessory outlet on the left side of the bike (this leaves the socket still free to accept a BMW plug if required and makes for a cleaner install without wires showing) and run the wires up from there to the Autocom (I installed mine in the space under the pillion seat). These wires will be controlled by the Canbus and automatically switch off after about 30 seconds after the bike being shut down.

This method has been working for me for about 18 months now with no problems.

AutocomRich

No other parts will be needed as we do not fit any here. The live is soldered onto the back of the aux power socket (green and red) and the earth is wired directly to the bikes battery. Nice and simple and this will not cause any problems with the bike canbus wiring system.

Rich

Here is what I was told by Fernando:

"For starters, you will need to purchase a Touratech CANbus Bypass power buss. This is part # 044-0450. We have them or you can order them through your dealer. Price is about $50. This provides battery-direct power, triggered by a built-in relay that you can connect to the positive lead going to your accessory port. Turn the key on and the battery bypasses the CANbus system and directly powers up to five accessories. Turn the key off and the power to those accessories will shut off in about 60 seconds. The best place to position this on a K12GT is to go under the fuel tank on the forward-facing surface of the airbox. It's neat, tidy and out of the way."

True. I provided this information as a way to power up an Autocom and a couple of accessories. The Touratech 044-0450 bypass allows you to power up to 5 accessories (the Autocom being one of them) totaling up to 15 amps (an Autocom, radar detector, XM radio and GPS would draw more than a couple of amps, tops).

If you're just going to power an Autocom to use as an intercom, and only plug in self-powered accessories (like an iPod), then powering it off the Aux port positive, with the negative going straight to the battery, would be the prefered way. But if you're installing numerous bike-powered accessories along with the Autocom, then you need a single, battery-direct, relay-triggered, multiple-output source. That's the Touratech Bypass.

• 3 weeks later...
Bill_Walker
Although the can bus adaptor is great, its a bit of overkill for just hooking up an autocom or most small accessories which draw minimal power. Take off the battery cover and taped or wire tied to the cross frame on the right is a factory plug which has switched power and ground and a third wire with power intended for working with the BMW GPS. Although mine is an '06 I believe its the same for '07. It is electronically fused as it is a monitored circuit.

The mating half of the plug is available, or tap into the wire or use small single pin connectors. Don't remember off-hand which of the three wires to use, but I'll get it if you want to use this method.

Works great on mine to run both a Zumo and intercom....no problems.

Well, I had already ordered the CANbus adapter before reading this post, and we went ahead and installed it tonight. I figured, having read your post, that we'd pick up the trigger signal for the CANbus adapter from the factory plug you mentioned. Apparently, Touratech's relay draws more current than that interface is supposed to provide, or has some other problem, as power on that circuit dropped from 12.7 volts to 0.4 volts when the Touratech was connected. We re-routed the trigger to the aux power connector, and that seems to work fine.

Thanks, everybody, for your advice!

... We re-routed the trigger to the aux power connector, and that seems to work fine.

Thanks, everybody, for your advice!

Don't know what the issue was either but glad you got everything working ... wait a minute, haven't you left yet ??? grin.gif

Archived