IGNORED

New Owner Calls Kawasaki 1400 Sport Tourer "Gutless"

EffBee

Interesting. Here's a quote from a new Kawasaki 1400 Sport Tourer owner from the Bikeland website:

"First off, the bike is gutless below 4500 rpm. It might as well be a 600 in the basement, that's just my take on it.. Above 4K and it starts to come alive, and really wakes up above 7K.

On the highway for overtaking at 70mph you need to be in 4th gear or lower to get the tach into the beginning of the power. If you roll on at this speed in 5th or 6th it's like driving a Tercel."

If you'd like to read the complete quote and the ensuing discussion, you can do so here.

It seems as though the low rpm performance is very stifled and plugged up. There's no other explanation for a 1400cc machine with only 160hp (I say "only" because a 1000cc GSX-R has 160+hp with 28% less displacement) to be categorized as being "gutless" below 4,000rpm. Truthfully, it should SHRED at all rpm. Perhaps it's the fact that Kawasaki decided to include the catalytic converter INSIDE the exhaust can (which is a HUGE can, ugly IMO, and even extends beyond the rear of the bike). That shouldn't have much of an effect, but perhaps it does.

Another thing about this bike is that with the cat in the can, changing to ANY aftermarket exhaust system eliminates the cat, which puts you in a much more precarious legal position (modification of federally required emissions equipment) both as a consumer and for his/her dealer, than would be the case for someone just changing the mufflers for something a bit more throaty. It will also be easier for law enforcement to spot. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in CA it's about a $10,000 fine.

My new FJR, and of course the new R1200RT I will eventually go back to, continue to look better and better.

Good comments Fernando. I did not realize the can extended beyond the end of the bike. Not good and not pretty when the bags are removed. The saddle bag does a good job of disguising that area. Just another reason (rpm's below 4K) confirming why I will never buy a bike I cannot ride first.

My 2007 Bandit has a can that deserves it own zip code. Maybe it's due to changes in emissions standards or something.

I notice in the discussion thread link that another new owner (a COG member) thought it had lots of torque. Maybe it's just that the guy writing the first comments was a sport bike owner.

I notice in the discussion thread link that another new owner (a COG member) thought it had lots of torque. Maybe it's just that the guy writing the first comments was a sport bike owner.

That's possible. But on a sportbike, while a broad powerband is desirable, it usually doesn't offer booming torque at 4,000 rpm or lower. On a sport touring bike, the engineers sacrifice some of the high-revving top-end power, in order to boost the low-end torque, since these bikes are heavier, often ridden two up, and have luggage.

Therefore, it would make sense that a 1400cc sport touring bike, would have outstanding torque at lower rpm, to the detriment of its high-rpm power (when compared to a similar sport bike). THAT is why this all sounds so surprising. A sportbike rider, getting onto a similar-size sport touring bike, should be impressed with the low-end torque and disappointed with the high-end power. If he's not, then there's something wrong.

Seems somewhat unlikely this bike would be 'like a Tercel' anywhere in its powerband. Perhaps there is an issue with the test bike, or maybe some early fuel calibration glitches (as was also the case with the K1200GT.) I think we need to see some more reviews.

Interesting, I was at a dealer in Phoenix today and was told the Connie 1400 will not be available until August.

Takes longer to get to AZ? confused.gif

Intersting read, however I am suspect about it. One person's opinion does not warrant any type of absolutes in the test and measure of a machine. So I will wait...it is doubtful that this machine is a slug by any means..it has 160 HP until it is wound up over 4K RPM's then 170 HP per the dealer. I spent over an hour eyeing this machine today and asked a LOT of q's about it.

I did find it looks much better in person.

The color was pleasing as it is to mimic the first connie color in '86.

The w/s is too small and does get "bigger" when raised but well below the rider's position.

The seat is comfy and fits my arse quite nice...

I do like the preload setting front and rear.

First valve check is 16K. Nothing before that but oil.

The key fobs are a problem if lost. No replacements and 2K to replace the CPU's if both fobs are lost.

Now the price, the best offer to me was 16,211 OTD. I find that hard to swallow. Since I think about $780 was dealer prep and delivery. The rest of it was tax on $13,788.00 around $ 1400.00...title fees and plates were???

I was pleased with the looks, seating position and overall quality of fit and finish. IMHO it is much better than the 04 FJR I bought. I would have purchased this today if they had an ABS and price was right. 3 were sold @ noon this morning.

Not to hijack the post.....just a lenghty thought on what was posted.......someone else will post something soon I am sure about its performance.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I was just sitting outside the deli in Tomales and a bunch of Connies and new KLR's went by. I was hoping they'd stop so I could ask questions/take pictures. No luck.

Firefight911
Interesting, I was at a dealer in Phoenix today and was told the Connie 1400 will not be available until August.

Tom knocked them over so they had to send them back. lmao.giflmao.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm sure you mean the other Tom. I only take pleasure in tossing my own bikes around. dopeslap.gif

markgoodrich

Could the guy's comments be accurate, and the result of 2008 CARB/EPA requirements? And a harbinger of things to come for every manufacturer?

HIJACK WARNING:

Pick a forum/brand, and there's always lots and lots of discussions about map changing and aftermarket exhausts, both of which are certainly efforts to extract more power, but which almost certainly make the bikes "dirtier." I've certainly done my share of those sorts of things, but in the last couple of years I've come around to the idea that dirty exhaust is as bad as it's made out to be, and I'm now on the other side, urging stock exhausts and maps. I've no doubt whatsoever I could make my RT more powerful, deliver power more smoothly, and be more fun to ride, but I no longer think that's a good idea. In fact, I think it's a very bad idea.

Yes, I drive a hybrid car. Now. Used to drive Suburbans.

What's your thought on the Greater Power versus the Greater Good?

A few good dyno charts will tell the tale soon enough.

Me, I'm wondering why he was in 6th gear at 70mph. It makes sense for Harleys and 250cc bikes, but a big bore inline four?

The guy who wrote the review also mentioned later on that "gutless" is in comparison to a bike like the zx-14 so we underpowered mortals might take his comments with a grain or two of salt.

What he (us) has to remember is that the VVT is @ play and meant to save fuel. Honda does it and some of my VFR buds say that the bikes they have do not come alive until higher revs. This may be the issue....maybe I'll buy one to find out???

At the dealer on Sat was a gent with an RT. He wants a connie...he said that he was waiting for the ABS version like I was...He was rather vertically challenged and said the RT was a fine machine, just too tall for him.

...He was rather vertically challenged and said the RT was a fine machine, just too tall for him.
If the RT's seat height is an issue for him, then he's making a mistake moving to the Concours. At least the RT has a low seat option. The writer of one of the recent reviews mentioned that with a 31" inseam, he was still on his tiptoes with the Connie.

I'm sure you mean the other Tom. I only take pleasure in tossing my own bikes around. dopeslap.gif

Leave me out of it or I may have to visit NO Cal.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I'm just betting that the guy is full of $hit because a zx14 motor is about the fastest thing on the planet and every kawasaki I have ever owned was the total bomb when it came to motorcycles.

The truth will come out in the laundry.

I'm just betting that the guy is full of $hit because a zx14 motor is about the fastest thing on the planet and every kawasaki I have ever owned was the total bomb when it came to motorcycles.

My former ZX9R forces me to disagree with you bncry.gif

I have had 4 Kaws in my riding careeer...all of them perfomed like lightning. Never had any trouble with them either. One thing for sure...twist the throttle and hang on!!!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Leave me out of it or I may have to visit NOR Cal.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I dare you. wave.gif

every kawasaki I have ever owned was the total bomb when it came to motorcycles.
Don't buy a KLR grin.gif
kingpinofdisks

No ESA?

No Cruise?

No heated grips/seats?

Fugedaboudit - the K1200GT gots more cool stuff, handles well, and is fast enough smirk.gif

From the AMA review: "While the gas tank holds 5.8 gallons, succumbing to the temptations of the Concours' available power cuts fuel range. The onboard fuel mileage monitor showed us averaging not much over 30 mpg in curvy, backroads riding, with low-speed photo passes mixed in. Figure you'll average around 35 mpg when strafing the curves, maybe 40 or so on the highway. And Kawasaki recommends 90-plus octane fuel"

Most of my riding is in curvy backroads where my RT gets low 40 mpg. I suspect the GT gets a little less mileage, but this seems low for a sport touring bike.

Nice review...the gas mileage concerns me. And the heat???? That is an issue as well. Considering it is 114 today and 118 on the 4th, I say NO MORE HEAT!! bncry.gif Other than that the bike seems like it is going get even better in the '08 and beyond years.

Other than that the bike seems like it is going get even better in the '08 and beyond years.

It might if Kawasaki changes the appearance of that front end. (ugh)

this seems low for a sport touring bike.

It's a 1400cc, low compression, high HP engine. Got to feed the beast.

ghaverkamp

From the AMA review: "While the gas tank holds 5.8 gallons, succumbing to the temptations of the Concours' available power cuts fuel range. The onboard fuel mileage monitor showed us averaging not much over 30 mpg in curvy, backroads riding, with low-speed photo passes mixed in. Figure you'll average around 35 mpg when strafing the curves, maybe 40 or so on the highway. And Kawasaki recommends 90-plus octane fuel"

Most of my riding is in curvy backroads where my RT gets low 40 mpg. I suspect the GT gets a little less mileage, but this seems low for a sport touring bike.

It's better than I saw on my K12RS, which had a smaller tank.

Dave....that thing will make it's own air conditioning thumbsup.gif

LOL!! Yeah....it's an ink pen remember?? Use it and get another one!!! lmao.gif

The K12S gets 42 MPG on the highway cruising. I have gone as far as 220 miles on a tank of gas. Strafing the twisties it can get as low as 28 MPG. The power range is very smooth from 5k and above. Not really a direct comparison with the Kawasaki but interesting none the less.

Cheers!

Archived