IGNORED

Saddle bag liner question

VinnyR11

I've done a search but haven't found the specifics I was looking for.

I have a 96 R11RT and would like to purchase saddle bag liners. (Every 10 years I go crazy and buy something.) However, a noticeable loss of packing space would be a big issue. My wife and I tour fairly often and we pretty much stuff the bags silly. We already went through the "bring less" phase, so let's avoid that option for now. :>)

Two questions:

1) How much packing space do you lose with liners? I'm assuming they don't fit perfectly into every nook and cranny.

2) Any recommendations. Two biggest issues are space utilization, and durability.

Thanks.

You don't lose much if you're a careful packer. You don't have to drag side cases with road grime at best, or rain and mud at worst into a hotel or your house. Just unlock and slide the bags out.

Now, just my opinion here but the genuine BMW liners are the best. There are some on Ebay which appear identical to the genuine article in the photos used in the ad but the liners that arrive at your doorstep are different and incorrect for the right hand side case.

If you go cheap (and they are well priced and well made), you'll lose a bit of space 10-15% on the right hand side.

Don't ask me how I know all this...

Linz :-)

For the RT bags I am very pleased with Cee Baileys offering. (No affiliation.) Very little loss of usable space. As always learn to pack light (lighter fabrics), right (don't pack 5 days worth of clothes for a 3 day trip, use items that can be rinsed and dry overnight, and always take at least 1 days less that the number of days of the trip), and compress everything.

I am happy with Kathys bag liners from Bobs BMW. $99. They are thin and flexible and can be cramed into the cases. They also come in red to match my bike. grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I have used the Kathy's bag liners for years with no problems and I carry a lot of stuff. I have the full set of side case and top case liners. Now that I am using Givi bags in all three positions on my bike, I still use the trunk liner to maintain and organize all my tools and cleaning supplies. I use tote bags in the side cases as they fit better in the Givi bags. Yeah, I know, there are liners for the Givi bags as well but, I don't always take everything in on a one night stay.

I keep one small tote set up with my toilet kit, tomorrow's one gallon zip lock with a change of shirt, shorts and socks and another small tote with casual shoes, a pair of microfiber pants and a presentable shirt. These and my laptop come into the hotel overnight. In the morning, I just replace the zip-loc with another clean one (last night's now contains dirty laundry and goes into a different tote. Advantages to this system are mostly in time savings checking in and checking out. The space liberated by the removal of the other stuff creates space to put my tank bag and farkles into the cases where they rest peacefully overnight. In the morning, takes less than 5 minutes to pack the bike and be off and running. I also gas up before parking the bike for the night so there is one less thing to do in the AM where I tend to be a lot less organized than this post would indicate. I'm lucky if I can find my a$$ in the first hour after waking up.

SAAB93driver

Two questions:

1) How much packing space do you lose with liners? I'm assuming they don't fit perfectly into every nook and cranny.

2) Any recommendations. Two biggest issues are space utilization, and durability.

Thanks.

I think you lose about volume of a pair of jeans for the liners themselves and you are correct, you don't get to stuff the nooks and crannys unless you pack little things loose. You can pack more without the liners, but you lose the convenience factor - trade off you have to weigh for yourself.

I have the Cee Baileys liners for a few years, they are made well, fit the bags as good as I could expect and the price was right.

Thanks a bunch! As always, as helpful as ever.

I am definitely sold on getting a set. I'm going to dig a little deeper and purchase one of the recommendations here.

I'm looking forward to not tracking in the dirt/mud/whatever from the hard cases. I also like "SS Ed's" shtick of locking the tank bag at night in the newfound space.

Thanks again to all.

Vinny

+1 on the Kathy's. Either way, the beauty of it is the convenience of taking it is all with you at once. It far outweighs the miniscule loss of packing space.

i bought a set of bag liners off of eBay from a place called Cruiser Backrest (www.cruiserbackrest.com) about a year ago. i've only used them a couple of times, but i have no complaints and found them to be very useful! thumbsup.gif

here's a link to their current auction on eBay: click me

I've got Kathy's, like them fine. Whichever you get, also get the shoulder straps if available so you can get everything off the bike an into the house/motel/campsite in one carry.

Side bag liners are GREAT! I don't care who makes them they all do the job needed. That is stowing your stuff in a nice easy to manage bag.

You can fill them to capacity then just shove em in the hard bags.

clap.gif

Just purchased Kathy's bags from Bob's. The lifetime, no questions asked warranty was another plus.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Vinny

• 5 weeks later...

I just ordered bag liners from Cee Baileys. The main difference is they have a zipper on each side rather than one in the middle. My 94R1100RS bag liners are like that, and they are easier to pack. They are priced between Kathys and Cruiserbackrest.

Anyone ever considered using vacuum bags to help pack? You can get them from Uncle Wallie for around ten bucks and pack allot. I used them on my last trip overseas and they were the trick. I looked silly sucking the air out of the bags with my mouth but thats another story for another day.... crazy.gif

Anyone ever considered using vacuum bags to help pack? You can get them from Uncle Wallie for around ten bucks and pack allot. I used them on my last trip overseas and they were the trick. I looked silly sucking the air out of the bags with my mouth but thats another story for another day....

I use ziploc bags, and suck the air out also, but I still like to put them in saddlebag liners. Almost everything in my saddlebag liners go in ziploc's. Just makes it easier to pack or unpack if you are on the side of the road or at a gas stop, and stay's nice a neat in there.

I've got Kathy's, like them fine. Whichever you get, also get the shoulder straps if available so you can get everything off the bike an into the house/motel/campsite in one carry.

Does anyone NOT like Kathy's liners? Mine are great. Only bought the two side case liners but they do me fine.

Archived