IGNORED

So I took my R1200RT for a long walk today.

blkvelvt

Going into work today at 4:30 am on the lightning fast 105 freeway near LAX, my RT just died in the carpool lane. While I was pressing myself up against the center divider trying to figure out what happened and not get run over, I tried to start it again and it barely ran. Felt like it was starving for fuel. I went through all the gears and shot over to the right lane, only to have it quit again. I managed to get off the freeway offramp and cross Imperial highway and get under a street light. Pulled the tank bag and opened up the tank only to find it bone dry. Fuel gage was reading about one third of a tank and the BC said 85 miles to go. There was no yellow/amber low fuel light and the gas pump icon was not blinking. Hmmmmmmmm. After pushing the bike for about one and a half miles, I found an open gas station. Dripping sweat and trying not to explode my heart from pushing this pig, I walked up to the pump. I turned the key on again and it is still reading 85 miles to go. I didn't realize the last 85 miles would be done on foot. The tank took 7.213 gallons. It times like these that remind me of the good old days and petcocks with reserves. I guess it's of to the dealer for some warranty work. Too much fun.....

Paul Mihalka

That's a long push especially with a RT. That is why I'm old-fashioned and always reset my trip odometer when I fill up. If the mileage gets high, I fill up even without the reserve warning.

Ditto; I always re-set my trip meter when I fill up, along with re-setting a couple of the readings on the BC. At least now you know how much the tank really holds. Any idea how many miles you had done since last fill-up?

You are the man!!! 1.5 mile push on a RT.. better man than I am...I am to old and lazy to accomplish that feat....

I would have called AAA or my wife on my cell to have them deliver the gas to me...

My hat is off to ya.... Pushing a RT 1.5 miles that's just amazing....

Sounds like the bike needs to have the fuel level sensing system recalibrate. There is a dealer procedure to do so.

I have found the MPG on my bike to never fall below 50MPG, usually 52-55. That means I can count on (7.2 x 50) 360 miles between fills, still leaving a small margin (15-45 miles) for error. I routinely fill around 350 and it has NEVER failed me yet. Just use a consistent fill point and remember to reset trip meter.

You ole dog. So, are you trying to show up ARNOLD with the 1.5 mile push? Your tale reminds of one of my first rides on Ruby. Cruising up the 57 Freeway at Kellogg Hill on a Sunday morning at 9 am and the bike just quits. What the heck? The gas gauge was not working at all and the tank was bone dry as you say. I will admit I wimped out and called AAA. There was no way I was pushing 600 lbs. up THAT hill. My hat is off to you. Let's go for a ride this weekend. You around?

You ole dog. So, are you trying to show up ARNOLD with the 1.5 mile push? Your tale reminds of one of my first rides on Ruby. Cruising up the 57 Freeway at Kellogg Hill on a Sunday morning at 9 am and the bike just quits. What the heck? The gas gauge was not working at all and the tank was bone dry as you say. I will admit I wimped out and called AAA. There was no way I was pushing 600 lbs. up THAT hill. My hat is off to you. Let's go for a ride this weekend. You around?

You ever notice how service stations are always at the summit of the hill and never at the bottom??? (Kellogg Hill a prime example!) crazy.gif

Mike

Well I see you know Kellogg hill. Nothing small about that mound of dirt huh? I was almost directly above the 10 freeway when it died. Pushing it up that hill to the gas station would have felt like 4 miles. No way Jose!!

I wish I would have looked at the mileage but I didn't. I have no idea how far I went on that tank. I would like to also add to my story about my little walk. This pig is a Boxer engine and walking next to it is impossible. I had to hold the bike away from me so I wouldn't bang my legs against the cylinder head. I could barely reach over my tank bag, stand away from the cylinder, and push the bike. I would have called someone if it wasn't 4:30 am. I never run the tank too low (So I thought) before I fill up. With an indicated 85 miles to go, there was no urgency to stop and get fuel. Obviously BMW has a sense of humor with their BC readings. I'm trying to lose weight at 50 years old and this was more of a work-out than my gym. The sad thing was all my co-workers who asked me later in the day, "was that you on the freeway?". No one stopped or called or circled back. People saw me pushing on the highway and said they felt sorry for me. "Thanks guys for the help". thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

3putt, that seems very low mileage for an R1200RT. The lowest I get is 48-49/gallon and that is riding the bike like I stole it. I would zero out your BC and tripmeter/odometer and check your mileage. confused.gif

Mike

Well I see you know Kellogg hill. Nothing small about that mound of dirt huh? I was almost directly above the 10 freeway when it died. Pushing it up that hill to the gas station would have felt like 4 miles. No way Jose!!

You would have had loads of fun if you had tried to push the bike across the merging traffic from I-10!

Keith, I got free time Sunday morning for a Southern California ride. Where do you want to meet up if you can make it? PM me.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
I didn't realize the last 85 miles would be done on foot.

Guess you screwed up! lmao.gif

Guess you screwed up! lmao.gif

Not as bad as I did, he opened his fuel cap & looked. I pushed my rt to a gas station & then ran the battery down trying to start it. The kid pumping gas asks are you out of fuel? I say no, it has half a tank. I never even thought to look in the tank. I never had a fuel guage problem on any of my bikes up to that point. Lesson learned, reset your trip.

Pat

Just FYI. I ran out of gas on the way home. frown.gif Knew I was low and living on the edge, sure enough ran out. Knowing the pump is on the left side, I leaned the R12RT over as far as I could, sloshing a small amount of fuel trapped on the right side. Worked!!! grin.gif Got me to the gas station about 1/2 mile down the road. This worked on my 92 K75RT too. Hummmm. Seems to be a pattern.... blush.gif Buckster

Riding home from work today, I noticed my fuel gage shot back up to full and 323 miles to go. I already have 103 miles on this tank and haven't filled up yet. Tomorrow she goes to the dealer for caibration or something along those lines. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Archived