IGNORED

Funny Harley/Cruiser story

R1100RSpurist

R1100RSpurist

Well just to start of I like all types of motorcycles, but to paraphrase Orwell, "all bikes are equal, just some are more equal than others." So I took my R1100RS for a quick ride the other day to try and diagnose a problem, and waiting at a red light at the light before the gas station i was going to, across the way i see a group of four harley/custom chopper riders cruising into the gas station. However the funny part was there buddy fallowing in a truck hauling a ape hanger custom. I started laughing out loud as all the stereotypes of the cruiser buyer came to mind and wondered if the the guy wanted to go riding but his bike was too uncomfortable and he would just strap it on his truck and come anyway. lmao.gif

baggerchris

Maybe they were just taking it to a show or sumpthin?

There might be a hundred different reasons for that scenario.

duckbubbles

Seen the same type of scenario here. A group of Harley/customs riding side-by-side tight formation at, say, 45 mph with at least one and maybe two pickups and trailers following right on their heels. As often as not, with one or more already mounted in it's preferred place. It's nice to have a complete support system with you.(And need it)

Frank

Off topic but related... I also don't mean to be a hater, I just find this ironic to the point I LOL every time I see it.

The helmets these guys wear. You know, the guys who as likely as not hold higher degrees than me, earn higher salaries, and refuse to smile when they're riding. The pirate dress-ups? Yeah, their helmets - the ones with stickers with statements like "F#$% You" and "Suck my d#$%".

It's funny. Why? Not because the stickers are funny; it's base humor at it's worst. The guy wearing the helmet with the crass stickers is funny. Because, this tough-guy / harley dude / RI (rugged individualist), etc went into a store, looked in a glass case or on a hanging rack, and said or thought to himself "I want those stickers, no, no those stickers" and bought them. He took them home, and put them on his helmet.

Ya, OK, tough guy, my 4 year old niece will play stickers with you next time she's over. She likes strawberry shortcake, you like statements she, thank God, doesn't understand. lmao.gif

I have both a Harley and a BMW in the garage. There are others here that run in both circles. I just like all things mechanical.

The guys y’all are describing are of one sect of HD owners. But there are as many that just ride to ride. They ride in every weather condition and for very long distances. But I can’t help but to think about a conversation I had with a BMW tech. He was going on about there being so many BMW owners that barely ride their bikes. They don’t even bother to ride them in to be serviced. They pay someone to pick the bike up and then return it.

The “Harley look” is cheaper (looking only) with jeans, black leather, and some kind of dingy clothes. The BMW look is a little richer (looking, that HD stuff is pricey too). The BMW rider has everything matched: helmet, leathers/ textiles, gloves, and probably underwear (I don’t want to know, unless she is cute). Both adopted a culture. And both are happy.

At least these HD folk are hauling their bikes themselves in their truck or their buddy’s. But really, there is little difference between the two groups. Both want to be on two wheels, in the wind (more or less depending on fairings), and out of sight from Johnny Law with his ticket book.

By the by, I made a similar post on a HD forum defending the BMW riders. See, brothers at heart ;-)

The BMW rider has everything matched: helmet, leathers/ textiles, gloves, and probably underwear

Clearly, we have never met.

I had a good friend who broke his leg. We hauled both of our Harleys to most of the Hog club events becuase he had never missed an "official event" in his life. I liked to ride so mine went along on the trailer. that was one of my best summers ever, riding along in the jeep with the bikes out back. This year I bought a Ford F150 and I never plan on riding across Nebraska, Kansas or South Dakota on a motorcyle again. I've done my time and now I fully intend to enjoy the really good riding days and minimize the bad days, hoping to get less than 4,000 miles on this year, all of them exceptional. clap.gif

I had a good friend who broke his leg. We hauled both of our Harleys to most of the Hog club events becuase he had never missed an "official event" in his life. I liked to ride so mine went along on the trailer. that was one of my best summers ever, riding along in the jeep with the bikes out back. This year I bought a Ford F150 and I never plan on riding across Nebraska, Kansas or South Dakota on a motorcyle again. I've done my time and now I fully intend to enjoy the really good riding days and minimize the bad days, hoping to get less than 4,000 miles on this year, all of them exceptional. clap.gif

AMEN to that. I've done my time as well and I would rather trailer my bike to someplace interesting then slab the bike for 1000 miles to the location.

The BMW rider has everything matched: helmet, leathers/ textiles, gloves, and probably underwear

If we meet, I won't ask to see your underwear. lmao.gif

Matts_12GS

I Dunno, but I like some of those stickers, I have a few that I consider quite humerous on my beanie for those days when I ride the cruiser.

1. 9 out of 10 women are battered, and I'm still eating mine plain

2. I mate for life, so far I've got 2,457 wives.

There are stereotypes all around us with cars, trucks, bikes, boats, TV types, computers, etc. It's time for folks to stop trying to rationalize, justify, demean, question, or otherwise judge themselves by what they ride or anyone else for their choice of ride.

Please go back to watching long way around and nickwaxing your 'stitch/mink oiling your chaps so they'll be waterproof enough to keep spilled beer off your designer jeans while the rest of us discuss truly important issues like oil or tires or the best place to get pie and coffee. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifwave.gif

R1100RSpurist

yeah maybe i should not have posted this...i just thought it was a funny sight to see these guys followed by their very own support truck with spare parts(in the whole motorcycle form). but for real, i really do think these stereotypes get in the way of everyone getting along and enjoying our common activity, and i apologize for further propagating this stereotype.

tom collins

if you run a search with the keyword "Harley" you can catch up on all the clever little digs over the years, should keep you busy for weeks.

tom collins

I guess I don't understand why giving up any road time would be considered "better" than riding. I always try to find a different way to get to the destination that I've chosen to enjoy the trip. I understand that there is going to be a time when I have to trailer my bike for some reason. But if it's still ridable, I'm ridin' and that's all there is too it. Unless, of course, there is ice on the roads, then I walk, slowly, and carefully. Growing up in Minnesota gave me a real appreciation for ice and snow.

Live to ride, that says a lot for me...

and I can't always afford to have my underwear match the rest of my gear. Sometimes I just don't wanna match anyway...

I had to laugh last weekend when I passed 2 Harleys, each complete with trailers, both up on a trailer. Now that's enjoying the open road. lmao.gif

Look! They're making love! lmao.gif

hd.jpg

Spotted this at a gathering at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley last October. The bike was actually stuck in this position. The lady who owned it didn't realize that the winch ran off the truck's battery, which had been sucked dry by the extra load.

Archived