IGNORED

Odd electrical cutout

chrisx

2004 rt 7k miles.

This morning while pulling out of my driveway i stalled the bike, (or so it appeared). thought i'd try jsut popping the clutch but i was not going fast enough. anyway, when i thumbed the starter while still rolling, the electrical system "died". stopped the bike. hit the starter again and voila it started. thought maybe i had imagined this until i saw that the clock had reset to zero. any clues? ( battery terminals are tight).

2004 rt 7k miles.

This morning while pulling out of my driveway i stalled the bike, (or so it appeared). thought i'd try jsut popping the clutch but i was not going fast enough. anyway, when i thumbed the starter while still rolling, the electrical system "died". stopped the bike. hit the starter again and voila it started. thought maybe i had imagined this until i saw that the clock had reset to zero. any clues? ( battery terminals are tight).

That was my first thought (battery terminals). My second thought is the ignition wiring harness, but your bike is waaaay too new for that problem.

Mine used to do that every once in a while - like maybe once ever 6 months. You stall just after you've started it then later you notice that the clock has reset ? Mine hasn't done it for ages and the only thing I can think off that may have fixed is this. I also used to have an intermittent misfire caused by hitting bumps. I fixed it by pulling the connector that joins the HES harness to the Motronic and spraying cleaner and then also securing the wiring with a few extra zip ties so it didn't jog around when hitting bumps. This cured my misfire and I suspect that the same wiring issue may have been the cause of the stall/clock reset syndrome as it hasn't happened again since I did this about a year ago.

Regards

Mike P.

1994 R1100RS

Archived