IGNORED

Brake bleeder replacement on R1100

JByerly

I understand that the plug on the front right caliper on an R1100 can be replaced with a bleeder nipple. Is that the standard nipple (as is on the left and rear?) and if so it is a straight switch (unscrew plug and screw in nipple)?

Thanks

Yes it is the same as the left side caliper. I had to use Vise Grips to remove it as it is in there with loc-tite or similar. I replaced all of my bleed nipples with Speed Bleeders...now bleeding at the calipers is about 15 minutes total front and rear. I did read in a post some where that the ABS circuts do not have to be bled on the 1100's because the master cylinders pump through the abs circut...or something like that. Maybe someone can explain and clear that up.

did read in a post some where that the ABS circuits do not have to be bled on the 1100's because the master cylinders pump through the abs circut...or something like that. Maybe someone can explain and clear that up.
That is correct, the 1100 series and the 1150 series (and pre '07 1200 series for that matter) ABS systems are decidedly different.

On the 1150 series the lever to ABS unit, pedal to ABS unit, ABS unit to front calipers, and ABS unit to rear caliper, are all separate hydraulic circuits. None of the fluid in any of them ever touches the fluid in the others.

The 1100 series is more like a conventional cage ABS system. The path is from front master cylinder to ABS unit to front calipers. And same in the back. So a more conventional bleed can be done on the 1100's. Put new fluid in the reservoir and pump it out to the calipers. Not so on the 1150's.

On the 1100's there are bleed points on the ABS reservoir, but unless you are troubleshooting a specific fluid flow issue, they don't need to be touched as part of a routine flush and bleed. It doesn't hurt to do a secondary bleed of them at the ABS unit, it's just that it doesn't really accomplish anything unique.

In a lot of different maintenance practices the R1100R is a

lot better & easier to service & repair, than the late

model bikes... now BMW are trying to chase the Japanese

technologies things are hotting up in the design arena

and complicating things

Archived