IGNORED

New ''Busa and nekkid for '08

TowJam

beemerman2k

No doubt about the performance of the 'Busa, but I like the look of the ZX14 -- even with the side fins. I guess after 10 years, I'm kinda tired of the 'Busa's looks. Revolutionary back in the day, kinda so-so now.

I don't particularly share a great affection for the Hyabusa though it's a highly competent middl3-of-the-road-powerbike, an Euro-style Sport Tourer. Like Toyota's Camry, it is perhaps so refined mechanically - to me - it doesn't evoke the level of emotion about its "mechanicalness" that I like to have about a bike. Naked, I suppose some of the refinement will get pushed into the background as the senses get pelted by the environment being ridden through. If it's light enough, or light-feeling enough I might enjoy it enough to have one.

I'm very happy to see more Nakeds come online from the manufacturers. It's a movement that's been underway for five or more years now, and there are several great examples. I'm thinking there's enough following to warrant an addition to the class that would boost it quite a bit: Add several styles of "wind deflectors".

Most Nakeds now come with a "bulb" fairing holding the headlight. The largest is what we used to call a Bikini Fairing. It would be great to have a factory option of a "road screen", something about the size of Rifle's famous fairing. That comfort addition would extend the utility of the bike by making it more amenable to long commutes, ify and foul weather days, trips, and multi-day Sport Tours.

I'd like that a lot.

Best wishes.

russell_bynum

I'm very happy to see more Nakeds come online from the manufacturers. It's a movement that's been underway for five or more years now, and there are several great examples. I'm thinking there's enough following to warrant an addition to the class that would boost it quite a bit: Add several styles of "wind deflectors".

Most Nakeds now come with a "bulb" fairing holding the headlight. The largest is what we used to call a Bikini Fairing. It would be great to have a factory option of a "road screen", something about the size of Rifle's famous fairing. That comfort addition would extend the utility of the bike by making it more amenable to long commutes, ify and foul weather days, trips, and multi-day Sport Tours.

I agree. Where the Japanese naked bikes have fallen short of the offerings from Europe (Tuono, Monster, Speed Triple, Brutale) is the chassis and suspension. The Japanese are certainly capable of building great chassis and fitting great suspension, but for whatever reason, the nakeds (919, Z1000, etc) always seem to get the low-budget stuff.

If this bike has a good chassis and suspenders (which it sounds like it might), and if the windcreens that you mentioned are offered, it could be a real interesting bike.

062707middle.jpg

What is up with that exhaust canister? It looks like someone shoved a model rocket engine up its arse. I like the rest of the bike, but I think that looks absolutely awefull.

Probably a marketing dept decision, you know "but if we put the good components on the naked bike, its cost would get too high." My sense is that folks in marketing are doing their best to have a bike built to a cost point that assures a set profit margin. They have to have a bike model every $500 increment -- 7500, 8000, 8500, etc. What they may not realize it that some buyers may be willing to pay more (or equal amounts) for a naked bike than a faired bike.

russell_bynum

Probably a marketing dept decision, you know "but if we put the good components on the naked bike, its cost would get too high." My sense is that folks in marketing are doing their best to have a bike built to a cost point that assures a set profit margin. They have to have a bike model every $500 increment -- 7500, 8000, 8500, etc. What they may not realize it that some buyers may be willing to pay more (or equal amounts) for a naked bike than a faired bike.

Right.

Looking at what people are paying for Tuono's, Monsters, etc it should be fairly obvious that folks are willing to pay for a naked with expensive bits on it. Of course...a Suzuki is a Suzuki and an MV Agusta is an MV Agusta. Given the "Go bling or go home" nature of our society, it's possible that nobody would buy a Suzuki that was priced like a Ducati...for the sole reason that it says "suzuki" on the tank and that doesn't carry the same status as "Ducati".

Ah, good points. I agree that "way compet4nt" if not Gucci chassis and suspension are warranted because they'd be desired. And Sparkle (I hate the term 'bling'), is certainly required, at leaset enough assault on the (younger, testosterone-laced) senses to produce a conclusion of "Cool, I'd love one."

However, I point out "Gucci Labels" are not required (and in fact can mask lack of truly fulfilling aspects of a contender): SV650.

Yeah. SV650.

It blew the market's doors off.

However, Suzuki went the wrong direction with the concept. It supported the semi-sportbike S while failing to lay the groundwork for the follow-on model Nakeds. The SV1000 Naked was an astonishing package, but was paled by the Sparkle of the names Ducati and Aprillia. It was considers a Poor Imitation. Bad groundwork. Just plain poor (or absent) Marketing.

I have not doubt of the success of a well configured (designed) Naked, that's truly competent, and marketed to be What It Is, with a clear, and persistent view of that chosen Image/Purpose/Thrust (Not a Ducati knock-off).

Best wishes.

062707middle.jpg

What is up with that exhaust canister? It looks like someone shoved a model rocket engine up its arse. I like the rest of the bike, but I think that looks absolutely awefull.

Loud pipes save space. Quiet pipes are friggen huge!

russell_bynum

Loud pipes save space. Quiet pipes are friggen huge!

Yep.

Well...not quite. Quiet pipes that rob lots of power can be fairly small. But if you want to meet the noise regs AND not rob all the power, you go big.

The Yamaha Warrior is a great example of that.

Lone_RT_rider
But if you want to meet the noise regs AND not rob all the power, you go big.

Some once told me that there is a minimum amount of volume (so many liters) that the mufflers are required to be on the new bikes and that might changing every year. Whether that volume is a direct correlation to noise suppression and power, I have no idea. I think I was given that explanation in relation to the new pipe on the 2005 R1200RT. It's just hearsay, so take that for what its worth. LOL.

I do remember this though that back in the eighties when the company Flowmaster was experimenting with chambered exhaust for hot rods, the cheap aftermarket hot ticket for street exhaust was a set of replacement mufflers off a 1977 Dodge Coronet with a 440 B engine. They were big and really, REALLY heavy...but they made incredible power without being that much louder than stock mufflers. I had a friend with a 64 Nova that used to literally sneak up on crowds and smoke the crap out of his tires. The cops never bothered him about loud pipes either.

Shawn

'mazin what a little competition from kawasaki brings out in suzuki. the nekid has a hint of K1200R look to it. sure would be nice in steamy florida to have a 140mph breeze to cool off with. lurker.gif

Lone_RT_rider
.....sure would be nice in steamy florida to have a 140mph breeze to cool off with. lurker.gif

Isn't that what hurricanes are for? *he ducks* grin.giflmao.gif

JUST KIDDING! thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Quiet pipes that rob lots of power can be fairly small. But if you want to meet the noise regs AND not rob all the power, you go big.

The Yamaha Warrior is a great example of that.

100% Correct. You can make a muffler that's small, efficient (low power loss) and quiet. Pick any two...

Also, the lower the number of cylinders (breathing into one muffler) the more pressing this issue becomes.

--

Mikko

.....sure would be nice in steamy florida to have a 140mph breeze to cool off with. lurker.gif

Isn't that what hurricanes are for? *he ducks* grin.giflmao.gif

JUST KIDDING! thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Shhhhhhh! plus the 'canes don't do much to cool us down 'specially when there's no power for the a/c!

If this bike has a good chassis and suspenders (which it sounds like it might), and if the windcreens that you mentioned are offered, it could be a real interesting bike.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this being released in the US - at least for '08. Unless I'm missing something, I couldn't find any references to the B-King on Suzuki's US site. On the other hand, the '08 Busa is already listed. What do you want to bet Suzuki is going to do to the B-King what Yamaha has done to the MT-01 and release it as a Euro-only bike - at least initially?

Archived