IGNORED

Nolan N100E Vs. Nolan N102 N-COM

E30TECH

I am considering buying the Nolan N102 N-COM because I have heard it was much quieter than the N100E. The wind noise on the highway is really getting to me.

What does N-COM ready mean? I understand Nolan has their own comm system, but I'm wondering what they mean by 'ready'.

Is it really worth getting the N102 even though I have a perfectly good N100E (ie is the difference really that much better)?.

I only bought Answer Evaporator Shorts and a pair of wicking socks this week. I need to buy something else wink.gif

??? Dunno, but I am looking for a REALLY quiet helmet myself....Hopefully one of these kind gents will assist me as well.

Never had a 100E so I can't help with your comparison question. I do own both a 102 and a 102 N-Com. They are identical except the N-com has a pop-out section on the side of the helmet which creates a hole in the helmet designed to accept their N-com bluetooth set (you pay extra for the communications set-up). N-com is unproven and VERY expensive. The other problem with the N-Com helmet is that the pop-out hole is a unique shape (to fit the N-com system) and therefore it probably not usable with any other communication system. The helmet itself is great - I have the 102 and the 102 n-com. I had ordered the second for my pillion and it came as a n-com unit although I ordered just another 102. I suspect they may not be making the "plain" 102 anymore, just the 102 n-com.

I just got two N102 N-com helmets for my daughter and I to be able to talk to each other and listen to music. N-com ready means it has the port hole in the side and space inside for the speakers. You have to add (buy) the basic kit for each helmet also and the comm kit, a total extra of about two hundred bucks. I did the wired version not bluetooth and I can say I'm pretty happy with it. We both hear the music fine from the satelite and we can talk to each other without pushing any buttons. There are even little volume up and down buttons on the side of the riders helmet. Overall a pretty quite helmet and the visor system is great. I'll buy another when this one wears out unless there's somthing better by then. If you're just using the N-com solo to listen to music,cell px GPS etc, it's still a great helmet.

Thanks for the Ncom info. Even with it setup for Nolan's comm system, I can still wire in my autocom speakers and mic (without utilizing their N-com port) - right?

Can you see the Ncom port with the helmet closed?

<EDIT>

I saw a pic of one of the helmets. It looks like they have a cover over the port on the left side.

On Nolan's site, they only show the 102 N-Com, so I guess they are pushing thier Comm system.

Thanks Bill & Bill. Why Nolan's web site can't be so clear in its explanation, I don't know.

I have yet to be convinced of the benefit of the modular N102 N-Com compared to the N84 N-Com. I would be interested in comments.

I have a N-com 102 and love it. Wind is very quiet and smooth. However, I do wear earplugs. Makes for alot mellower ride. Some say not to cause you can't hear. Na, you can hear.

If you like the helmet you have, keep it. Get some plugs and save some cash. You'll need it for your next service.

ISYHTRAH

I have yet to be convinced of the benefit of the modular N102 N-Com compared to the N84 N-Com. I would be interested in comments.

I had to look to see what the N84 is. It appears to be a full face. If you wear glasses you would see the benefit right away. I dont think I'll ever get anything but a modular now that I am used to it.

I tried the earplugs and dont like the feel. They rubbed on the inside of my helmet, transmitting noise right into the ear. I also have the autocom/XM/GPS and I think the earplugs will block out too much to be able to hear them.

If the question relates to fixed or modular, I'm definitely in the modular camp. I do wear glasses and smashed a pair with a full face helmet something that doesn't happen with the modular. Also nice for quick conversations roadside with a pillion, at a toll booth, the customs agent at the border and to stop quickly to pump gas. My original post was focused on the N-Comm system. I'll admit to being annoyed that both helmets have to have a basic kit and then you must buy the intercom kit too. The cheapest N-comm set-up I've seen runs the better part of $500 and I was looking only for communication with my pillion. I don't do the other audio things which would be a distraction for me. By the way, I also am looking for Push to Talk capability. Both my pillion and I want our moments of silence and don't want to drive the other crazy with our in helmet humming and musing.

Yes, my real question was full-face vs modular. Sorry for being unclear.

bmurphywa says it costs $500 to get passenger-rider comm, but waylap says it's $200. bmurphywa, are you including the helmet?

Edit: At one vendor, extremesupply.com, I see basic kits for $99 and wired intercom kits for $124. Seems you need two basic kits and one intercom kit for a total of $322. Add another $125 to go wireless.

Thanks Bill. I read that thread, and it seems to me that wired rider-passenger communications adds $322 to the cost of the two helmets. And you don't get stereo.

It would be nice if Autocom would build a module to take advantage of the helmet. I wonder if that is in the pipeline.

It would be nice if Autocom would build a module to take advantage of the helmet. I wonder if that is in the pipeline.

I dont think that could happen due to the design being proprietary to Nolan.

Any other comparisons to the N100E / N102?

Any other comparisons to the N100E / N102?

I have about 100k in the N100 (two different ones), and about 7k on the N102 (a non-Ncom model). The N102 is a better overall design than the N100. It is quieter, it is easier to open and the vents work better. The vents aren't much better, but some. The finish on the N102 is MUCH stronger. The center open works smoothly and is far easier to use than the left side linked arangement on the later N100's. I like the shaded visor thing (VPS). I like to ride with my shield open, therefore I use limo dark on the bottom of my visor. Works like a mini sunvisor, pretty easy to block the sun by tilting your head just so. With the VPS and the lower limo shade, I can be nearly totaly tinted for the times that it is just TOO HOT to have the shield open. The N102 has some seals around the hinge covers that cut down on the noise quite a bit. You can ride with the chin bar up, for a bit. It is great for eating or drinking while going down the road. I don't ride with it open at speed for very long. It does pivot back and lay fairly flat against the top of the helmet, so that it doesn't rip your head off when open. I just finished a 3000 mile weekend in the N102 and I am VERY happy with it. It is a REAL improvement over the N100 series. It is also very nice that the shields are the same between the two.

I'm going to try one on this Saturday. The N100E was a little tight at first. I bought a medium, as the large would have been *slightly* too big. I took a spoon and crushed some of the foam where it was too tight around the top of my forehead.

I was able to find one on sale for $225, which I thought was a great deal.

Products Ordered:

NOL-N102|TITA|M - Nolan N102 N-COM Flip Face Helmet. FREE SHIPPING. - Color: TITA, , Size: M....Reg. Price:

$249.99....Discounted Price: $224.99 x 1 = $224.99

PLE-20214X - Plexus Plastic Cleaner FREE SHIPPING Size: 13oz , ....Reg. Price: $9.35....Discounted Price: $8.41 x 1

= $8.41

thumbsup.gif

• 6 months later...

I'd like to see some updated info on this system. Having sent two back over the years, I'm skeptical about speaker-based comm systems, wind noise seems always to interfere. Also, Nolan says the basic comes with two speakers; their manual says sound comes from the left.

I'm searching for a rider-to-tider system that you can actually use at highway speeds (behind a windshield). Tried Chatterbox and one other. No joy.

Bob

I am considering buying the Nolan N102 N-COM because I have heard it was much quieter than the N100E. The wind noise on the highway is really getting to me.

What does N-COM ready mean? I understand Nolan has their own comm system, but I'm wondering what they mean by 'ready'.

Is it really worth getting the N102 even though I have a perfectly good N100E (ie is the difference really that much better)?.

I only bought Answer Evaporator Shorts and a pair of wicking socks this week. I need to buy something else wink.gif

Perry, I have & use both a the N-100E & N-102.. Not enough difference between the wind noise to talk about.. I like the 102 better as far as opening the front as the locking mechanism is easier to use with gloves on..

I actually like the 100E better as far as the face shield & visor goes as I don’t like the dark drop down upper shield most of the time..

I have a more rounded head so the 100E actually fits my head better but my friend has a more oval head so the 102 fits his head better..

Any way you look at it those modular helmets are more wind noise prone than full face helmets.. I do like the Nolan front opening better than most as it sits close the helmet top when open so the wind disturbance is less that others with the front open..

So far the Nolan is about the best I have found for a 15°f commute in the morning followed by a 65°f ride home in the afternoon..

They are not perfect & fairly noisy but do work good,, fit & finish is good,, one hand operation is good,, front shield works good..

If I only have room for one helmet & the weather is concern it is the Nolan every time..

The N-Com is nice but more money.. If you don’t want to go blue tooth for commo, or music, or voice then no reason to get the N-Com..

Twisty

I'm searching for a rider-to-tider system that you can actually use at highway speeds (behind a windshield). Tried Chatterbox and one other. No joy.

Bob

Bob,

I use this----->>

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

for my wife and I to comm. between 2 R1200RT's and they work great! No wind noise or static, and no button to push-to-talk...just talk continuously (full duplex). They work exactly as advertised--we use both open face and full face helmets and they are great! (but only good for 2 bikers--doesn't work for a "group").

Bob

Bob,

I use this----->>

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

for my wife and I to comm. between 2 R1200RT's and they work great! No wind noise or static, and no button to push-to-talk...just talk continuously (full duplex). They work exactly as advertised--we use both open face and full face helmets and they are great! (but only good for 2 bikers--doesn't work for a "group").

Hey this is great, thanks for this! This just may be the simple e-z to use system that we've been looking for and maybe we'll finally get off the fence about bike to bike communications and get ourselves connected.

One question though, what about earplugs? Can you still wear earplugs and hear through the earpiece?

One question though, what about earplugs? Can you still wear earplugs and hear through the earpiece?

Laura, we both wear earplugs all the time--the volume is loud enough to hear it clearly with earplugs. Out of every farkle and gimmick I have ever added to my bike(s) (even including my dear Garmin 478), if I could only chose one, it would be the Interphone comms. They have transformed our riding experience more than anything else. To be able to talk back and forth (at will) just as if we're talking on the phone makes every ride safer and so much more fun. Go get a pair--you won't regret it!

Edit: Forgot to mention, they have a 2-year warranty and a toll-free help line, which if you call it, a live person will answer and help you with any questions, I believe it even still has a 30 day money-back guarantee if not satisfied! And I am not affiliated with them in any way--I am just a fan of a product/company that actually performs exactly as it is claimed...which, today, is quite something! wave.gif

FYI, ordered mine from --->>

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=21946

Nice folks, had it instock and shipped the same day. Best Buy is now selling them also online but looks like they're back-ordered on them.

Thanks bobbybob I certainly would consider it.

My hesitation is in the fact that I so enjoy the silence of riding, no technology polluting my ride. I'm one of those who would never even consider a radio and while I can see my GPS I don't want to hear it. Strange I guess.

I'm not sure I want to jibber jab with my husband while riding (vica versa for him) but we certainly would like to get a point across when hand signals just don't cut it.

That's probably the point at which their company lawyers started to burst into flames............

Bobbybob--

why does the Blue Ant make such a deal out of 80mph as the cutoff for communicating? What happens when you get to 80?

That's probably the point at which their company lawyers started to burst into flames............

Bobbybob--

why does the Blue Ant make such a deal out of 80mph as the cutoff for communicating? What happens when you get to 80?

I suppose they picked 80 based on riding a faired touring bike. On my RT, the wind does start to intrude a little around 80 but its not a loud rumble, just a high pitched crackle like static--not really bad either but not totally quiet as it normally is.

And Laura, I agree about the jabbering constantly smirk.gif In fact, I usually press the button sending it into standby so it will last for a full 8 hours of riding--either rider can re-activate it with the press of a button.

Archived