Cylinder head protection

Bill767

I searched without much luck. What's the consensus opinion on protection. Do you have it? What do you use? Where do you suggest getting it? Cylinder head protectors, crash bars, brands etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Would help to know what bike - I'm assuming not your VFR.

I've had BMW plastic cylinder head protectors on both my BMW R bikes. I've never needed anything beefier because I've never thrashed a bike in the dirt or had a "tipover" beyond a 0 mph loss of balance in my driveway that resulted in me half laying/ half dropping the bike onto the lawn.

Some swear by big beefy bars on GSs, or Police bike bars on RTs, or aluminum versions of the factory plastic guards, but it depends on what you're going to be doing with the bike, how accident prone you are, and a number of other factors.

Keep in mind that if you are talking about a R series bike, if you dump it and punch a hole in the valve cover, you are done riding if you can't seal it somehow (they make a rubber emergency valve cover).

bakerzdosen

Assuming you're talking Boxer engines, I wanted to have the Elf/Sahara pegs with my r1200st, so I opted for crash bars (SW-Motech). However, if I didn't care about that, I'd probably opt for the GS protectors (aka metal) from BMW or one of the other aftermarket metal ones. (Eg Touratech). The Wunderlich carbon fibre ones look cool but they are a tad bit pricey (part # 8160972). The plastic ones work well for <3mph drops, but for anything at speed will be a problem.

Thanks, sorry about not giving the bike info. I guess I'm just excited about getting the new RT. Yeah, it's for a 2007 RT, that should be here by the end of next week!!!! No, I'm not accident prone(knock on wood), but I think I'd like to have some protection out there just in case.

My RT has the BMW black plastic cylinder head protectors installed. On the plus side, they protected the head during a zero speed drop (I didn't hit the kill switch and the bike made two complete circles before I stopped it). The protector looks barely scuffed. On the negative side, it cost an extra $45 at the 6k service (and will at every subsequent service where they adjust the valves )to remove and replace.

...On the negative side, it cost an extra $45 at the 6k service (and will at every subsequent service where they adjust the valves )to remove and replace.
Unless they replace the valve cover protectors with new ones at every service (which unless they are damaged is not necessary), there shouldn't be any extra $45 charge 'at every subsequent service where they adjust the valves'. Challenge the charge or find another service department (or adjust the valves yourself).

Mike O

On the negative side, it cost an extra $45 at the 6k service (and will at every subsequent service where they adjust the valves )to remove and replace.

eek.gif Out - f'n - RAGEOUS! What next? A charge to wheel the bike on and off the lift?

-MKL

Charles Elms

Quote:

On the negative side, it cost an extra $45 at the 6k service (and will at every subsequent service where they adjust the valves )to remove and replace.

Out - f'n - RAGEOUS! What next? A charge to wheel the bike on and off the lift?

I understand why they have the extra charge. You have to remove the tupperware on the right side to remove the guards so that you can remove the valve covers to adjust valves. That takes time, and time is money to dealers. If you want to save the bucks, just remove the protectors before you take the bike in for service. I don't like the charge, but understand it.

Picked up the bike Saturday, and put on the protectors on Sunday. Bought the BMW plastic ones. Thought it would take just a couple minutes, wow, all the plastic had to come off first. Anyway, it taught me how to do that, and otherwise, it was simple. Then went for a 200 mile ride. Fantastic!

Archived