IGNORED

Anybody wearing an Arai XD helmet?

Fugu

I've tried to search for this, but the software says it omitted "XD" from my query. Thanks, software...

I see a lot of mention of other Arais.

Anyhow, on my RT I've noticed that there's a sweet (noise and buffeting free sweet) spot if I have my windscreen at a certain height and my visor flipped part way up.

I am hypothesizing that the sun shade on the XD would possibly have this beneficial effect as well, but I seem to see conflicting info on how well the helmet's visor works on a bike like the RT.

It would be nice to have the sunshade, too since I like to wear polarized glasses, but like a tinted shield for the rest of my face and coolness in bright sun, but find I have to tint it up a lot due to the effects of polarized glasses on tinted shields, and it's a PITA to carry a clear shield for night time.

so - got XD?

How does it do in cross winds.

How does it do windscreen down (or partially down) at speed? Real speed - if you run it up to triple digits, do you have to put your screen all the way up to keep your head from getting knocked off by the drag on the visor?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I have an XD. The only time I wear it is when I'm actually going to be riding in condeitions where it will be nice to put on a pair of goggles or have the visor- or both. I DO NOT wear it if I'm not going to see some sort of dirt on the ride. The visor grabs the wind from any angle a turns your head away from it. I can find a spot, when riding on the highway where the shape of the face shield and the visor cancel each other, and the helmet becomes neutral- sitting on my head without tugging. As soon as some turbulence, cross winds, or other variable (like looking over your shoulder then having to muscle that visor back to the front) come around, then it's back to tugging, buffetting, pulling, shaking etc.

Behind a windshield I would expect it to behave better, but you'll need to get your head and helmet completely out of the airstream for that to happen. I heard reports that it makes riding behind the GS windshield worse. YMMV.

You'r polarized lenses will make the visor on the XD turn into a rainbow as well. It's considerably noisier than any helmet I've ever worn too. Ride with the face shield open and it catches more air than the visor alone.

HOWEVER- If you're looking for a dual sport helmet- one in which you can plop a pair of goggles over the entire setup and still have the visor to boot- then the XD is apparently still the "only" choice. It's dual sport qualities outweigh the drawbacks as soon as you get into the dirt and it still provides better features for this than most of the other helmets I've seen reviewed for similar use.

I have and use both Arai XD and RX7 helmets. They both have their uses.

On the R1200RT I prefer the XD all the time. There is so much protection that the XD is all advantages over a normal full face. I really like the visor for protection from the sun - it is more flexible than the typical dark shading on the top half of the visor. I like the bigger eyehole that makes it easier to put on glasses. I like the extra ventilation. I have recently been testing the final version of the Calsci windshield for the R1200RT and the XD is comfortable "visor up" at any normal speed. I've tested it to 90 mph but I'm not very comfortable with the thought of getting hit with a 90mph bee! The only time I noticed any weird pulling by wind on the visor was with the windshild in full down position on the track. That is the only circumstance where I could see triple digit speeds combined with a fully lowered windshield.

On the KTM 640 Enduro I prefer the XD as I rarely go over 65 mph where you start to get wind pull on a fully naked bike.

On the Boxer Cup and X-Moto, where your face is in full wind and you are likely to go faster, the XD would get to be a pain. I do regularly use the X-Moto and the XD on my frequent trips of home to work where I only get to 55 mph.

Since your question seems to relate to an RT: I think if you get the right windshield then you will love the XD like I do.

Arg- so Boney- polarized lenses make the clear XD shield into a rainbow?

Greg- how big's that windshield? I have a Cee Bailey's that's at least a +3, but I like to run it low enough that I get air at about eyebrow level, keeping my melon cooler in the summer - In your opinion, would that "catch" the sunshade visor - "bill" thing- on the XD?

I sure wish I could try one for a day on my bike before dropping $400.

Greg- how big's that windshield? I have a Cee Bailey's that's at least a +3, but I like to run it low enough that I get air at about eyebrow level, keeping my melon cooler in the summer - In your opinion, would that "catch" the sunshade visor - "bill" thing- on the XD?

I had a CalSci shield on my R1100RT as well. I did buy a Cee Bailey for the R1200RT as CalSci didn't make one yet. I just finished going through the series of 5 prototypes for them and it is now in production. The Cee Bailey that I have for the R1200RT has a flip in the top edge. This does get the air over you but that air going over you is very turbulent and noisy. As you try to adjust the windshield down to get some ventilation you have a tough time balancing "enough air" with "turbulent air" and the edge is very sharp (or in-between area is small). I DON'T know if the Cee Bailey for the R11xxRT is the same since the R11xxRT and R1200RT are totally different.

Since the visor on the XD is very much like the visor on most dirt helmets, can't you borrow a dirt helmet, wear sunglasses if you don't wear glasses, and get a good idea?

I've use the XD on my KLR for a trip to Mexico and it worked great. I have a tall windsheild on the bike. Have not had any problems with wind catching it. Love the shield but run mostly with it up unless cold or raining. I've also used it on a long trip on my RT and it worked fine with no problems. Have not experienced the problems that Tom had. Only comment is that it is louder than my Schuberth by quite a bit. Another issues for folks that wear glasses. As with most full face helmets, you have to remove your glasses when putting on or taking off the helmet. This is a PITA but no way around it. On my last dual sport ride to Mexico I wore my Schuberth and it worked great with no problem with the glasses. Didn't look as "cool" but probably less problems (glasses).

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Arg- so Boney- polarized lenses make the clear XD shield into a rainbow? 

Mine do. Lukily I can change the lenses in my sunglasses.

I have an XD as well. On my R1200GS it is as quiet as my Arai Signet. I don't get much appreciable lift or head turning unless I'm scanning for aircraft (why would I do that? dopeslap.gif). On a closed course ( grin.gif )it wasn't bad at an indicated 110. I must admit I didn't turn my head at that speed.

I really like using a Camelback with the XD, access is really easy. I use it year round. Next winter I'll get one of the Respro Foggy dealys.

I think on the RT you'd be able to tune the air pocket for just the right amount of airflow without the lift. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I got me an XD helmet.

Getting speakers in it and breaking it in... It's getting there. Due to the lumpy nature of my melon I'm shaving a little of the soft foam from ear pads, etc (already have the smallest 12mm pads...) Yes, I know to not mess with the liner itself, I'm just messing w/ the comfort foam bits.

Anyhow, I'm liking it. The top vents that open forward are VERY effective. I've never felt so much air move over my bald head in a helmet. They do make a RACKET, however. Unless it's scorching hot, so far my favorite setup is rear "exhaust" vents open, visor cracked open 1", and the front facing vents closed and plugged with foam earplugs- the helmet is VERY quiet this way and flows what seems like enough air to keep my dome cool in anything short of desert crossings.

Sunday morning I couldn't sleep, went for a ride in the cool, leaving about 5:00 AM - (passed one of you on a red 1150RT on Monte Cristo - didn't I? I was running w/ HID spots and PIAAs on for lane crossing truck driving yokels....) Anyhow, found myself on the empty sections running about 15-20mph faster than I thought since it was SOOO quiet as compared to my HJC CL-SP "street" helmet...

The visor has not been an issue grabbing wind behind a stock shield or my XL Cee Baileys, or the Calsci I tried (jury is out on the Calsci - but I can see it being a winter shield for me - will re-evaluate when temps lower). With the windshield all the way down, at 60+, there is some resistance if you turn your head - the visor almost stabilizes your melon facing forward. I have no neck so this hasn't really bothered me. If you have a longer/ thinner neck this might be an issue - I'd say if you are sensitive to helmet weight to look out for this - I'm not.

Heavy crosswinds from Ogden canyon when south or northbound on hwy 89 have been the extent of my cross wind exposure lately, but I didn't find the visor a problem- you feel it for sure, but that canyon really gusts certain times of day.

I really, really like having a "bill" on the helmet to help with sun glare. My Maui Jim polarized sunglasses do not give me a rainbow through the visor. I have tried my HCL bronze lenses and my hi contrast rose lenses - both are fine. I do notice that the colors shift a little bit, and there's a little bit of "washout" on some surfaces when viewed through the visor and the glasses- nothing to be concerned about, it's not distortion that would cause me to miss a chuckhole or anything like that.

Overall I'm not sure any helmet is worth the money some of them cost but I like this Arai. The shop selling these at 15% certainly helps with the sting a little, especially if you need different ear pads, etc.

Fugu - I've read similar about the front vents causing so much noise (web bike world perhaps?)

Anyway - did you insert the foam earplugs in from the top side or the bottom side?

Thanks

Fugu - I've read similar about the front vents causing so much noise (web bike world perhaps?)

I think that's right- they liked it except for the vents.

Anyway - did you insert the foam earplugs in from the top side or the bottom side?

Thanks

They're in the top side right now - they sort of stick out like little purple foam horns -I wonder how they'd work inside. I just stuck them in Sunday AM and haven't messed with them - a more permanent and less obvious fix would be to trim their length a little and even color the outside part that's visible the same as the helmet- but trimming the plugs so they don't stick out would make removal hard.

I'll try them on the inside part of the vent and report back.

Archived