IGNORED

autocomm speaker upgrade

WEDGE

Does anyone have any experience with earplug style speakers for autocomm intercomm/music system. Or have you ever upgraded the speakers themselves. I just purchased a Vstream windshield for my K1200GT '06. It should create a quiter riding atmosphere. Thanks in advance.

I recently installed an Autocom, and found the stock in-helmet speakers to be uncomfortable when wearing my custom-molded earplugs. This was due in part to my not cutting out any of the polystyrene liner as I was expecting to switch to in-ear speakers all along. I tried Etymotic ER6is, which I already owned and used with my iPod. The fidelity was fine, but found they did not block as much ambient noise as my custom-molded earplugs. I found that annoying/distracting. I recently ordered a set of Arizona Al's earplugs, and expect to receive them shortly. Al's from this board, and his stufff comes highly recommended. His have the transducers located at the Y-junction, not in your ears. It's just sound tubes that go up to the custom-molded plugs in your ears. Since I did not connect with him recently at Torrey UT, I had ear impressions made locally and sent those down (the ear plugs will be made from those impressions). I'm expecting good things, as a result I cut the wires to the Autocom speakers, and removed them from my helmet. I'd check out Al's stuff. Here's his e-mail address: customearplugs@cox.net

BTW, I have a V-Stream shield on my R12RT.

There is a recent thread here all about using earbuds w/ Autocom. Should be a simple search if you look for Autocom and earbuds.

Bill_Walker

Lots and lots of us use earspeakers (mostly Arizona Al's) with our Autocoms. Much better for your hearing (and comprehension) than trying to use the helmet speakers with or without earplugs. You need an adapter from autocom that replaces your extension cord between helmet and unit. It has one of autocom's ubiquitous little boxes on it with a jack to plug your earspeakers into.

bakerzdosen

As has been stated in other threads, most people are happy with their Etymotic er6i's (as am I). You just need the proper Autocom cable that's been mentioned in all the other threads on the matter (I don't remember them off the top of my head, but I think it's 1187 and 1188).

I use 3/8" pads under my autocom speakers when not running AZ Al's in-ear speakers. When I run the in-ear speakers, I simply remove the pads and it allow for the clearence needed with no discomfort. I keep them in my tank bag. Less than 30 seconds to remove or restore. I prefer the in helmet speakers for all but real "long haul" rides because it is less of a problem during stops.

Does anyone have any experience with earplug style speakers for autocomm intercomm/music system. Or have you ever upgraded the speakers themselves. I just purchased a Vstream windshield for my K1200GT '06. It should create a quiter riding atmosphere. Thanks in advance.

I bought a set of Koss headphones on Amazon for $20, took them apart, and replaced the Autocom speakers in my helmet. 1/2 hour work, vast improvement.

I bought a set of Koss headphones on Amazon for $20, took them apart, and replaced the Autocom speakers in my helmet. 1/2 hour work, vast improvement.

What model?

What was the improvement - fidelity or volume?

What model?

What was the improvement - fidelity or volume?

Improvement in both fidelity and volume - I can actually make out what song is playing.

Look at this thread:

Koss/Autocom upgrade

The ER6i headphones are a huge improvement over the Autocom speakers. Once you use them I don't think you'll ever consider using any helmet speakers, including Koss.

ER6i comes with four sets of ear buds of varying sizes. The foam plugs isolate the best but are too itchy over a long ride... for me. I've also heard that Al's plugs fit and isolate the best but don't have as good frequency response as the ER6i's.

Just my thoughts...

ER6is are cool.

But they are not comfortable for me for long periods, and every time I accidentally catch that hair thin cord on something I think it's going to break.

Mine have already been back to Etymotic once for repair under warranty. I'm not sure they'll cheerfully replace them next time.

• 2 weeks later...

You were right. Koss upgrade was not sufficient. Running the ER6is now, in a new helmet with a little more ear room, hopefully this allows me to wear the ER6is more comfortably, and hopefully I can manage to not break them.

Archived