IGNORED

Fule pump go Bye Bye

Tominator

What's the average life of the fuel pump? Mine packed it in last night on the way home leaving me stranded. Screen was clean, but Im not sure how often the fuel filter wwas changed since I purchased my 2003 this january. I was hoping it was the connector since I've seen a fuel connection issues...

Going to empty my bank account today.

clap.gif

Tomas

How did you confirm that it is the pump itself?

Actual pump failures are pretty rare, so you should easily be able to find one in the salvage market to save some $$.

Confirmed it was the pump itself since it did not turn while 12 volt applied even remote. Once I turned the impeller (Intake side) it kicked a few times and stopped again. And made awefull noises.....

445.00 canadian for the little bugger. Only one in Canada coming in from Chincouver overnight to Toronto. None used...tried Beemerboneyard and they are all sold out. Besides, I dont want to be broken down on the side of the rode again just to save $$$. Small job for me to swap out the pump big $$$ to have the stealership do the same! Glad this didnt happen next month on the way to the National!

Tomas

It's just a fuel pump, nothing special about it. If the part cost is a concern, just go to your local discount auto parts place and get something that looks close. IIRC, several have put a Ford Mustang pump in. Just requires a little bit of a shim wrapped around it to fit the clamp.

For a used one, you can also check with Fred at CyclesRecycled

Wish I would have known about the mustang fuel pump. I searched last night and came up with nothing...oh well....guess I cant buy my wife that new helmet now for a while.....

ShovelStrokeEd

Walbro (sp) probably makes and sells more fuel pumps than anyone else. About $90 in most places I have gotten them. Just be sure it is designed for EFI (45 PSI output) rather than a carb application (6 PSI output).

Google is probably you friend here.

Only one in Canada coming in from Chincouver overnight to Toronto. Tomas

And I always heard "Kanadians" called it Hongcouver. Which is it? eek.gif

98000 KM on the bike...and yes the chinese have taken Vancouver over.

Racist? I am not...only German dopeslap.gif

Tomas

Fuel pump back in Thursday night. All is new again bike's purring again! Cleaned everything up under the tupperware, Serviced my throttle bodies and cleaned the air screws. Re synced with my Twin Max, boy does that sucker ever shift nice again. My fuel pressure must have been low....What really concerned me was the fact my RT is a 2003 and the date code on the fuel filter was 05.2004. With 92000KM on the bike, I would suspect at least 3-4 filter changes with a newer date code since BMW rotates their stock quite regularly (My new filter has a date code of 11.2006). I'm assuming that the filter was dirty with a possibility of extreme back pressure. (At least I've convinced myself to justify the high cost)

Thanks to all that replyed!

Tomas cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got 42,000 miles on a 2003, R1150RT, sitting at stop light just died. Just figured out the fuel pump blows the 10 amp fuse. It will spin with a 25 amp fuse (wired direct to battery).

Waiting for NAPA to open, then will check out the Mustang fuel pump. At the same time I notice that the power going to the gas tank only keeps 12 volts for a second or two then drops. Doesn’t seem normal to me.

Anyone have any comments?

I’ve got 42,000 miles on a 2003, R1150RT, sitting at stop light just died. Just figured out the fuel pump blows the 10 amp fuse. It will spin with a 25 amp fuse (wired direct to battery).

Waiting for NAPA to open, then will check out the Mustang fuel pump. At the same time I notice that the power going to the gas tank only keeps 12 volts for a second or two then drops. Doesn’t seem normal to me.

Anyone have any comments?

I believe that to be normal, since the fuel pump only runs when the fuel pressure drops.

When you first turn your ignition on you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds to charge the system.

Lone_RT_rider
Walbro (sp) probably makes and sells more fuel pumps than anyone else. About $90 in most places I have gotten them.

I used to work for Walbro as a Designer in the Fuel pump division. A couple of tips about Walbro pumps. They use brass bushings instead of roller bearings like in Bosch pumps. These types of bushing style pumps can easily be affected by hot fuel conditions (think low fuel levels in warm weather). The can and do tend to burn out those bushings in this kind of condition. If anyone ever decides to get the Walbro pump, I highly recomend they try and stay above a quarter tank or so when running in the summer time. Your Fuel is both your coolant and lubrication for these pumps. Just an FYI.. YMMV.

Shawn

I believe that to be normal, since the fuel pump only runs when the fuel pressure drops.

When you first turn your ignition on you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds to charge the system.

Your second statement is true, but your first is not. Once the bike starts the fuel pump runs constantly. The mechanical fuel pressure regulator down stream recirculates the excess fuel back into the tank. There is no electronic fuel pressure sensor anywhere that would be needed to tell the pump what to do.

Thanks, I feel better bout the voltage drop. The Mustang fuel pump (NAPA P74095) was not even close, way to short. So went the Euro Motoelectric route, now the hard part,just have to wait till it get here.

Duane

Archived