IGNORED

On bike battery charging using solar charger ?

apk

I have just bought a 2000 R1100 rt and would like to be able to trickle charge the battery over winter. Is it safe to charge via the accesory socket, and also are solar chargers any good or just agimmick, I am thinking particularly here about a grey English winter, will it produce enough charge ?

Calvin  (no socks)

I have several solar chargers. I aquired them at a VW dealership, they came on new cars to keep it fully charged.. Seem to work ok...They don't use them any longer, I don't know why.

I have just bought a 2000 R1100 rt and would like to be able to trickle charge the battery over winter. Is it safe to charge via the accesory socket, and also are solar chargers any good or just agimmick, I am thinking particularly here about a grey English winter, will it produce enough charge ?

Tony, careful of those solar battery chargers.. While they will re-charge a battery,, IF they don’t produce specific power in the range required to not only re-charge but also float charge your bike’s battery your battery can easily become useless it sulfates during the re-charging process.. Better off to use a quality trickle charger with float & storage control..

Twisty

Don't know about the solar charger but I keep my '02 RT on a Battery Tender all winter plugged into the accessory socket. Never a problem after 2 winters.

Archived