IGNORED

Radar Detectors in Canada

Redbrick

As far as I know they are legal in only the 2 provinces you mention, Alberta and BC. And I not 100% sure about BC.

In any other provice if they 'detect' your radar detector you will detect your pocketbook getting lighter by $400.00 to $500.00. AND you will have to buy a new detector to replace the one they seized off your bike tongue.gif.

This I know for a fact bncry.gif.

Detection capability varies, if you have one of the latest 'undetectable radar detectors' you might be O.K. in some of the less well equipped provinces, or not...

My cruise control set at a GPS indicated 118kms in a 100km zone works great. No ticket in years.

In fact I was stopped by a LEO this afternoon on the way home from a funeral for a female friend killed Sat. on her bike. The officer said I had passed on a solid yellow line and I argued the lines were so broken and faded it was hard to tell. He procceded to tell me it was a 275.00 fine and 4 demerit points but then commented on the safety 'stuff' on my bike, like the 'hyperlites', amber moto-lites, etc. and then said I appeared to be so concerned with safety that he believed that I would not intentionally endanger myself by passing on a solid line and let me go...saying 'great bike'.

Believe me that has NEVER happened to me before. Feel like I just got a big discount on the Moto-lites grin.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

Jim

Radar detectors ARE legal in Alberta. I don't use one, but I live here. (Radar detectors are for sale at automotive retailers everywhere here.)

The AAA TourBook for Western Canada and Alaska says in its British Columbia "Fast Facts" says radar detectors are permitted.

Thanks for the responses....We don't plan on ripping through the provinces but enjoying beautiful Canada...

Phil.........Redbrick

I doubt you'll ever see legal radar in Ontario. Way to much money to be made here!

Now the OPP ( Ontario Provincial Police ) want to be able to crush your car for going 50 kph (31 mph) over the limit. They say it will help stop street racing. eek.gif

Now the OPP ( Ontario Provincial Police ) want to be able to crush your car for going 50 kph (31 mph) over the limit. They say it will help stop street racing.

I wonder what Don Van Massenhoven would have to say about that.... grin.gif

Archived