IGNORED

best tank bag for R1200GS

Grassman

I have a mixed setup that I like pretty well. I started with a Marsee 20 liter teardrop tank bag, which I found nearly new on eBay for ~ half price. I like it very much, except that I'm not patient enough to futz with things like mounting straps, especially at fuel stops. Then I saw one of the bags that SW Motech sells, with a trick mounting system that uses a horseshoe-shaped ring that bolts to the fuel tank, around the outside of the filler cap. So, I found a SW Motech bag on eBay and cannibalized the mounting system, mounting half on the fuel tank, and rigging the other half up to the bottom of the Marsee bag. Works great and holds the bag just off the tank. Total cost was about the same as the Marsee bag at full retail.

We have a Big Mak on ours, that we had previously on an RT. It's been great. Love the 'flip up to fill' feature.

Paul Mihalka

With my "new" '05 R1200GS I got a original BMW bag. Great bag, well made, but I didn't like the hassle to take it off when at the gas station, so I sold it. The Big Macs seem good if you use a tank bag all the time, but I don't. Leaving the mounting flap on without a bag is ugly. Right now my first consideration is a 15l Marsee Corona. I don't have it yet. I'll write about it when I get it.

Firefight911

I have the Marsee on my GSA. It is a very good tank bag that only leaves a mounting ring around the gas cap when not in use. It works via a cam lock and magnet system. You just grab the handle and twist to remove it. Takes more time to grab the handle than to connect/disconnect it.

Doesn't touch any paint, etc. Only real issue is that if you try to open the zipper while riding, you can disconnect the joint. DAMHIK!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I give it 1 and 1/2 of these - thumbsup.gif

Just took mine off to see if I can get by without a tank bag. If so, it will appear in the Classified section! thumbsup.gif

I have the Marsee on my GSA. It is a very good tank bag that only leaves a mounting ring around the gas cap when not in use. It works via a cam lock and magnet system. You just grab the handle and twist to remove it. Takes more time to grab the handle than to connect/disconnect it.

Doesn't touch any paint, etc. Only real issue is that if you try to open the zipper while riding, you can disconnect the joint. DAMHIK!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I give it 1 and 1/2 of these - thumbsup.gif

Just took mine off to see if I can get by without a tank bag. If so, it will appear in the Classified section! thumbsup.gif

+1 on this Marsee bag! I love mine. I generally do not like tanks bags, especially when they are overly tall. The Marsee when collapsed has a low profile, but can expand when needed to carry more. I love the mounting mechanism on the gas cap. It's rock solid and best all, there is no chance of paint scratches.

This is not the best angle to see it, but it's the only photo I can find at the moment...

gs.jpg

RKA are killer bags usa made small shop on the west coast love the inside of the bag the map pocket comes off the bag so if you stop and eat you can take it in with you to look at while you eat just really well done mine has 60K on it still looks as good as new they have a add in the moa and on the web somewhere

Chicane has a model specifically designed for the GS - it's called the "R1200GS Tank Bag". Retails for $175. Includes integral waterproof cover, map window, 2 side compartments, coin/token pocket, expands to larger size. Very stable on the tank and doesn't interfere with bars or activate horn button when turned to the fork lock (unlike others). The only down side is that it is attached with straps (although it easily flips up for tank fills. I had one when I ran a GS and would have bought a similar unit for the RT if offered. I tried the teardrop Marsee on by GS but the fit to tank was not good.

Archived