IGNORED

Some Advice on Modular Helmets Please

kinchy

I'm wearing an Arai SMZ and Quantum XXL as needed. My choice certainly was predicated on price, I just have a big head,Arai seems to fit. Prefer the 3/4 SMZ since I can ride with the sheild up if necessary. The modulars are interesting. First do they fit big heads (7/7/8)and can you ride with the shield up? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Yes,

For example, that's the size for a Nolan XXL.

Faceshield Up, or open?

Open, a bit ,yes. All the way up? I wouldn't think that was in the design parameters for any extended or higher speed usage.

None of them are designed to be operated with the bottom part of the helmet up while riding. However, I have done that for low speed hot weather riding in stop and go traffic.

Can't comment on the size but I use a Schuberth C1 and C2 and ride with the shield up most of the way with no problem. I use a Cee Baily windshield that allows me to look over the top to a point on the ground about 50 feet ahead and my face stays in "quiet air". Only have problems with passing or behind big trucks or serious cross winds. I almost always have it up when riding. I lower the sun shade a little to act like a visor and lower the shield to match the location of the sun shade. Works great heading into the sun.

I and my pillion have Nolan 102 modulars. Visor up riding yes as long as you eyes can take the wind. Chinbar up? NO. Why bother with a modular? I've tried others and the Nolan works well for me.

Not knowing what a big head looks like except on Kirk Douglas (close up and it was scary), I will tell you that I have a Shoei Modular and I love it. In the hot weather I ride with the shield up and get plenty of air. Top vents are better than average. Chin vent is so-so.

Bruce

Bill_Walker

My helmets are an Arai Profile and an Arai SZ/m. Prior to the Profile I had a Signet GT. You may gather from this that I have a Long Oval head.

I believe I've tried on every modular helmet on the US market, with the exception of the new Shoei Multitec. Every single one of them has a pressure point in the middle of my forehead that is guaranteed to cause a headache in anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour. Until Arai does a modular helmet, or somebody else starts catering to us Long Ovals, I'm out of luck. I suspect that may be the case for you as well.

I have a Nolan N-102. Love it! I do ride with the shield up one click. Give's me a bit more air.

I'm sure you can ride with chin bar up, but why.

Modular's are DOT approved. No Snell as of yet. I believe I read somewhere that none of the manufactures have sent a modular to Snell for testing.

I have a Nolan N-102. Love it! I do ride with the shield up one click. Give's me a bit more air.

I'm sure you can ride with chin bar up, but why.

Modular's are DOT approved. No Snell as of yet. I believe I read somewhere that none of the manufactures have sent a modular to Snell for testing.

If you ride with the chin bar up, you have significantly compromised the structural integrity of the helmet and it won't do you much good in a crash. The helmet depends on the rigidity of the chin bar.

Try this with the chin bar up. Grab the helmet where the chin bar latches and spread the helmet. Easy to do. Put chin bar down and try it again. Now it is rigid and you can not flex the helmet.

As to size. I have a large head and the Nolan XXL was one of the few helmets that fit. My head is more oval than round.

My helmets are an Arai Profile and an Arai SZ/m. Prior to the Profile I had a Signet GT. You may gather from this that I have a Long Oval head.

I believe I've tried on every modular helmet on the US market, with the exception of the new Shoei Multitec. Every single one of them has a pressure point in the middle of my forehead that is guaranteed to cause a headache in anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour. Until Arai does a modular helmet, or somebody else starts catering to us Long Ovals, I'm out of luck. I suspect that may be the case for you as well.

Bill,

Sometimes shaving a teeny bit of foam from that pressure point makes all the difference, comfortwise.

I should add that my helmet is the new Shoei Multitec and again, I find it very comfortable. Pulling a helmet off when one wears glasses is a pain and the modular helmet really helps in this regard.

Bruce

I had a BMW System II and now have a Schuberth C2. Both work well for me and no problems. My wife has had a Shoei Duotec and now a Multitec. Both work well for her and no problems.

Bill_Walker

Bill,

Sometimes shaving a teeny bit of foam from that pressure point makes all the difference, comfortwise.

Sure, but then aren't you giving up some of your impact absorption?

Pulling a helmet off when one wears glasses is a pain and the modular helmet really helps in this regard.

My problem exactly, have the X-11 now and thought of looking into the Multitec for just that reason. Is it noisy? And does it ventilate well?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have a Shoei Multi-tech and ride with the face shield up all the time (over 95 degrees)with no problems. The X-large fits my 7 1/4" head just fine, but I can't speak to the larger sizes. It is a very comfortable helmet.

In response to anothers comment on eye glasses, I have ligtweight titanium frames, and it is not possible to put my helmet on, or off, without removing my glasses first. Really tics me off. One more step to ATGATT.

I'm wearing an Arai SMZ and Quantum XXL as needed. My choice certainly was predicated on price, I just have a big head,Arai seems to fit. Prefer the 3/4 SMZ since I can ride with the sheild up if necessary. The modulars are interesting. First do they fit big heads (7/7/8)and can you ride with the shield up? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Wayne, can’t comment on head size but can provide some info on modular helmet use (at least on the Nolan side of it) .. You sure can ride with either the shield all the way up or the chin bar all the way up.. Obviously riding with the chin bar up you are not as well protected as with it down but there is still a lot of protection there..

For me the biggest issue is noise,, because of all the external parts on a convertible helmet they are not a quiet (wind noise wise) as a conventional full face helmet.. Riding with the chin bar up makes the wind noise even worse.. Ear plugs work pretty good with the chin bar down but there is still a wind noise issue with the chin bar all the way up..

Still a great helmet on a cold fall or early spring day with sub freezing temps riding in the morning & high 70’s in the afternoon. You can ride in with the full face protection & ride home as a ¾ helmet..

I don’t wear my Nolan in the heat of summer but use it all weather in the off season & winter.. If I take a bike on a trip & only have room for one helmet it is the Nolan convertible as it does everything fairly well..

I have a friend with a fairly oval head & he hasn’t been able to get a good comfortable fit with the Nolan though..

Twisty

I used to own the HJC Mod and it was very noisy. Significant reduction in noise with the Multitec assuming your shield is down.

Bruce

That's interesting. I have titanium glasses too and don't have a problem pulling my Multitec helmet off with my glasses on.

Bruce

I've got two modulars: The Nolan N102 and the HJC Symax.

The Symax is lighter, but noisier and not as cushy as the Nolan. The Nolan is about 1/2 pound heavier, but that is it's only drawback in comparison of the two.

I'm a big fan of the Nolan N-100 - and I rarely ever put the shield down. No problem with wind while using the stock windscreen on the RT, other than the occasional bug parts that make their way in.

Archived