IGNORED

saddlebag latch problem

onedae

This is a heads up for anyone with the new style saddlebags. By sheer luck, something caught my eye on my garage floor - it turned out to be a latch pin from my R1200RT saddlebag that hold the handle onto the latch mechanism. There is supposed to be a C clip on the end that prevents it from falling out of place. After I retrieved it, I checked the remaining 3 latch pins (2 on each handle) and found that only 1 had the C clip intalled and the other 2 could easily fall out at any time. Of course my dealer said "....DUH - I can't find the C clip in the parts fiche so I will have to figure out what to do.....".

I bought a bunch of 5/16" C clips and, even with my 2 left hands, managed to insert the clips pretty easily.

So check your latch pins - you may have the same problem and its an easy fix.

John Bentall

I normally run without bags. Took them out to trial pack for the forthcoming vacation and the hinges actually creaked from lack of use! A quick squirt later and peace was restored.

Will check the pins though...

GoGo Gadget
This is a heads up for anyone with the new style saddlebags. By sheer luck, something caught my eye on my garage floor - it turned out to be a latch pin from my R1200RT saddlebag that hold the handle onto the latch mechanism. There is supposed to be a C clip on the end that prevents it from falling out of place. After I retrieved it, I checked the remaining 3 latch pins (2 on each handle) and found that only 1 had the C clip intalled and the other 2 could easily fall out at any time. Of course my dealer said "....DUH - I can't find the C clip in the parts fiche so I will have to figure out what to do.....".

I bought a bunch of 5/16" C clips and, even with my 2 left hands, managed to insert the clips pretty easily.

So check your latch pins - you may have the same problem and its an easy fix.

What a coincidence. I carried my bags out of the motel room this AM and could not get my highside bag latched onto the bike. Both pins had come out. One was sitting halfway in the lock mechanism, I fished it out, but could not find the other one. I have it latched on as best as I can for now, hopefully it will hold until I get home.

What do you mean by new style bags? I see you have an 07. I have an 05 - is there a difference in the bags between model years? I had a look at mine and couldn't see any C clips anywhere (although nothing appeared loose either).

Also can you point me in the direction of these pins (maybe I am looking at the wrong thing).

I looked at my side bags,the c clips are on the inside of the release handel, pull handel stright up like you are going to take bag off,,The handels are hollow,,clips are on the inside holding it to linkage!!I had all 4,,2 per bag, thumbsup.gif

Archived