IGNORED

I Just Got a Price Quote On a New Connie....

Wiley

I'm selling my GL1800 and K100RS so I'm in the market for a sport-touring motorcycle slanted more toward the touring direction. I don't care for the looks of the BMW R12RT or ST1300 so my list is narrowed down to K12GT, FJR, and the new Connie. I was just quoted $12,799 total (plus sales tax and license) for the Connie ABS which got my interest. On paper, I like the K12GT and FJR more because of their 60lb lighter weight. The Connie isn't due until Sept and it doesn't have cruise as an option. My heart's with the K12GT but the cost difference is a factor. I guess a used GT could be a possibility but only one w/o servos.

That's a very good price point and it's sure to be a hellofa ride. Maybe if someone took a belt sander to those goofy Godzilla ridges on the side cases and chromed that fat black exhaust can -- and I thought the RT was ugly. IMO.

thumb220connie.jpg

On paper, I like the K12GT and FJR more because of their 60lb lighter weight.

Is the Connie really 60lb lighter than FJR? I didn't know that... Maybe the main difference is in the scales Kawi and Yammy marketing folks use :-)

--

Mikko

Wiley:

If your heart is set on a KGT, get it. I learned some time ago that it's easier and usually much less expensive to get what you want the first time. Don't confuse price and cost; remember, motorcycles are not needs, they are wants.

can you really tell the difference between a bike that weighs 600 lbs and one that weighs 660???? in my opinion 60 lbs is not all that much of a weight difference especially when your looking for a bike more touring oriented. the connie looks nice but the styling really doesn't grap me and i couldn't see myself buying one. i'm sure she performs and handles well but i like a bike i can look at and admire the styling. when i dismount my 2006 k1200s i always give her a look back, i did the same with my 2003 KRS.

if you go with the connie you're saving at least 7 grand compared to the KGT. 7 grand is a lot of money and you'd probably save a bit more than that since the KGT can run over 20K pretty easily. it's a tough choice for sure but i would at least take the GT for a spin before i made up my mind.

On paper, I like the K12GT and FJR more because of their 60lb lighter weight.

Is the Connie really 60lb lighter than FJR? I didn't know that... Maybe the main difference is in the scales Kawi and Yammy marketing folks use :-)

--

Mikko

No. The Connie is about 60lb *heavier* than both the FJR and K12GT.

Well stated wellcraft.

Wiley: is there a BMW dealer near Morgantown? There was a little mom and pop place in Star City when I lived there but I understand they went out of business.

Good luck with your choice. Generally, I would rather buy want I really want used instead of my second choice new.

That's a very good price point and it's sure to be a hellofa ride. Maybe if someone took a belt sander to those goofy Godzilla ridges on the side cases and chromed that fat black exhaust can -- and I thought the RT was ugly. IMO.

thumb220connie.jpg

I think the solution to the godzilla ridges is to have a sticker kit (or paint job) made which actually turns them into claw gouges. That'd be pretty cool, if done well.

--sam

Good price. But there's no aftermarket for it. Not for a year or two.

Want barbacks? No can get. Want a GPS mount? Sketchy at best. How about a Big Mak tankbag? Not yet. Can't get a Russell Saddle for it yet as they haven't had one to do their prototyping work. How 'bout some Ohlins? No sir. A fork kit, like one from Race Tech? Nah.

Tires. It uses a 190/55 rear. These tires are approaching $190/each, soon to be over $200. Tire life? Expect 3K to 4K if you're easy on the throttle.

Fuel mileage. 160hp takes fuel. No two ways about it. Figure in the mid-to-low 30's.

Insurance. 160hp!!! Pay up.

ABS. Have you tried it out? Does it work. Is it seamless or does it shudder?

Is there a factory trunk available for it? Or do you have to go aftermarket?

What about optional windshields? How long will they take to come to market?

Does it surge? Will you need a Power Commander for it? When will they be out and how long will you have to put up with the bucking?

How long is that wheelbase? In the pics it looks like 63 inches or more. Is it gonna turn or will it steer like the Lusitania?

Oh, yeah, and 60 lbs. is 60 lbs. Get that bike in some tight stuff (and remember, the bigger the bike the more stuff qualifies as "tight") and you'll be feeling it after just a mile or two.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I think the Kawi is going to be a very good bike. But I just went from an RT to an FJR and I looked at all of these things before deciding I wanted the FJR instead of waiting for the Kawi. I went in with my eyes wide open, and still some things have caught me by surprise.

And don't forget that this is a first-year model. Remember that the FJR (and the ST1300 Honda) had heat issues that would literally burn the rider in some cases. Yamaha took 4 model years to address the situation. Honda still hasn't.

If you want the Kawi, get it. Just make sure you've thought it through. It's going to be hard on tires, drink like a fish, and may be expensive to insure. But if it's what you want to have, and what it has you want, it's gonna be a lot of fun to ride.

All true about the aftermarket stuff...however I have never owned a Japanese bike that surges. All of them have been super smooth. And as for the wheelbase...I will find out Friday. One is coming to a dealer here in Phx and I have dibs on it. So.....if it comes down to me getting a Kaw don't call me crazy. And 160 HP vs. 152 for the GT?? Not a big deal. Insurance is the same. Had a quote ran today. And it does come down to want vs. need doesn't it????

From the Kawi. website, wheelbase is 59.8", dry weight with ABS is listed at 615 lbs. "And it does come down to want vs. need doesn't it?" - not at all; IMHO motorbikes are all about want - get the one (or 2, etc.) that pours gasoline on an open flame.

wrestleantares

remember, motorcycles are not needs, they are wants.

That depends, do you want to keep me sane?

My wife would say a MC is a NEED in our house. I just about went on a killing rampage when I had surgery and had to be rideless for 3 months.

remember, motorcycles are not needs, they are wants.

That depends, do you want to keep me sane?

My wife would say a MC is a NEED in our house. I just about went on a killing rampage when I had surgery and had to be rideless for 3 months.

Yea, but your wife must be a nice lady, who, WANTS to keep you happy! grin.gif

......... remember, motorcycles are not needs, they are wants.

So very true tongue.gif

It's a load of piffle, my motorcycle has always been my primary transport, went many years without a 4 wheel vehicle.

So very true tongue.gif

It's a load of piffle, my motorcycle has always been my primary transport, went many years without a 4 wheel vehicle.

So did I, but I did that because I wanted to.

Good price. But there's no aftermarket for it. Not for a year or two.

Tires. It uses a 190/55 rear. These tires are approaching $190/each, soon to be over $200. Tire life? Expect 3K to 4K if you're easy on the throttle.

But are the FJR and K12GT tires any cheaper?

Fuel mileage. 160hp takes fuel. No two ways about it. Figure in the mid-to-low 30's.

That is an unknown at this point and a concern. If it's 40ish I'm OK, if it's 32-38 that's a problem for me.

ABS. Have you tried it out? Does it work. Is it seamless or does it shudder?

An unknown now but ABS brakes are transparent. Pulsing and shuddering are only there if the ABS is in operation. I'd think the Concours ABS brakes are quite adaquate for my use.

Does it surge? Will you need a Power Commander for it? When will they be out and how long will you have to put up with the bucking?

Another good question. My friend with a 2006 FJR had to install a Power Comander to clean up the FI. The Latest K12GTs seem to be pretty well sorted out. The Connie...?

Oh, yeah, and 60 lbs. is 60 lbs. Get that bike in some tight stuff (and remember, the bigger the bike the more stuff qualifies as "tight") and you'll be feeling it after just a mile or two.

No argument from me about the negative influence of weight!

I'm not trying to discourage you. I think the Kawi is going to be a very good bike. But I just went from an RT to an FJR and I looked at all of these things before deciding I wanted the FJR instead of waiting for the Kawi. I went in with my eyes wide open, and still some things have caught me by surprise.

And don't forget that this is a first-year model. Remember that the FJR (and the ST1300 Honda) had heat issues that would literally burn the rider in some cases. Yamaha took 4 model years to address the situation. Honda still hasn't.

If you want the Kawi, get it. Just make sure you've thought it through. It's going to be hard on tires, drink like a fish, and may be expensive to insure. But if it's what you want to have, and what it has you want, it's gonna be a lot of fun to ride.

I appreciate your thoughts. How do you like your FJR? What year is it?

I appreciate your thoughts. How do you like your FJR? What year is it?

Wiley, I'm glad you took my comments they way they were intended. Before I bought my FJR, I couldn't get an insurance quote for the Kawi from anyone except one company and they wanted more than double the $412 I got on the lowest FJR quote.

As for tires, the FJR uses a 180/55 rear. About $20 - $25 less expensive than 190/55's are these days.

As for my FJR, it's an '07. I'm enjoying it. It lacks some sophistications that my RT had, but it has performance to spare, albeit at a price. What I don't spend on service parts, I spend on tires and fuel. It's about a wash. I'm still looking forward to a nice used '07 RT in a few years time.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So very true

......perhaps largely true in the US (unfortunately) but not true everywhere.....just one of the differences between biking in the US, where so often bikes are toys, to biking in some other countries where bikes are often a primary means of transportation

So very true tongue.gif

Hogwash! They are needs. Both my motorcycles have unrepairable flats and the wait for tires is unbearable. It is a need for sure. I would like my bikes to be buried next to my mummified body to assist me into my passage to hell. lmao.gif

BTW, they identified Hatsheput's mummy today, 90 years after it was discovered.

If you decide on a K12GT, don't let the servo brakes be a deal breaker. I have them on my ST and I never give them a second thought. They work great. The later generation brakes with the steel braided lines solved a lot of the problems the earlier servo brakes had.

So very true tongue.gif

Hogwash! They are needs. Both my motorcycles have unrepairable flats and the wait for tires is unbearable. It is a need for sure. I would like my bikes to be buried next to my mummified body to assist me into my passage to hell. lmao.gif

BTW, they identified Hatsheput's mummy today, 90 years after it was discovered.

Avi:

I can solve your problem right here: Get a THIRD motorbike! grin.gif

If you decide on a K12GT, don't let the servo brakes be a deal breaker. I have them on my ST and I never give them a second thought. They work great. The later generation brakes with the steel braided lines solved a lot of the problems the earlier servo brakes had.

When the servo brakes dim the headlight on my RT at crawl speed while doing their busy chirpzinggggwhizzz R2D2 sounds, and when the brakes grab suddenly in a parking lot in a way totally independent of the steady gentle pressure of my fingers on the lever, I can't help but give them give them a second thought. And that thought is: What genius engineer-NONRIDER thought up this brake system?? eek.gif As great as the rest of the RT is, it's those times that I miss my 1100RT with its prehistoric nonpowered, nonlinked brakes with superb feel and stopping power. /rant

I'm selling my GL1800 and K100RS so I'm in the market for a sport-touring motorcycle slanted more toward the touring direction. I don't care for the looks of the BMW R12RT or ST1300 so my list is narrowed down to K12GT, FJR, and the new Connie. I was just quoted $12,799 total (plus sales tax and license) for the Connie ABS which got my interest. On paper, I like the K12GT and FJR more because of their 60lb lighter weight. The Connie isn't due until Sept and it doesn't have cruise as an option. My heart's with the K12GT but the cost difference is a factor. I guess a used GT could be a possibility but only one w/o servos.

Just as something for you to consider, I found the following on the ibmwr.org site:

2007 k1200gt for sale

07 k1200gt , esa, heated grips and seat, onboard computer, low seat, costom cover, 6250 miles, $17,400.

Price: 17400.00

Contact Dave Reiff at <gsxr1dave@yahoo.com>

Telephone 4044880605

Posted Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 09:27:43 (EDT)

There is also another GT (located in AZ) listed at the bottom of the same page. I have no knowledge of these particular bikes or affiliation with the sellers whatsoever. I'm just suggesting that it, or something like it, may be a solution for you, and might make for a nice ride back to WV. You can find the listings here.

The K1200GT is a great bike. Good luck with your decision.

When the servo brakes dim the headlight on my RT at crawl speed while doing their busy chirpzinggggwhizzz R2D2 sounds, and when the brakes grab suddenly in a parking lot in a way totally independent of the steady gentle pressure of my fingers on the lever, I can't help but give them give them a second thought. And that thought is: What genius engineer-NONRIDER thought up this brake system?? eek.gif As great as the rest of the RT is, it's those times that I miss my 1100RT with its prehistoric nonpowered, nonlinked brakes with superb feel and stopping power. /rant
If your brakes truly act this way, something's wrong - take it to a dealer to check. My 06 RT has servo brakes and exhibits none of the behavior you describe.

[quote Just as something for you to consider, I found the following on the ibmwr.org site:

2007 k1200gt for sale

07 k1200gt , esa, heated grips and seat, onboard computer, low seat, costom cover, 6250 miles, $17,400.

Price: 17400.00

Contact Dave Reiff at <gsxr1dave@yahoo.com>

Telephone 4044880605

Posted Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 09:27:43 (EDT)

There is also another GT (located in AZ) listed at the bottom of the same page. I have no knowledge of these particular bikes or affiliation with the sellers whatsoever. I'm just suggesting that it, or something like it, may be a solution for you, and might make for a nice ride back to WV. You can find the listings here.

The K1200GT is a great bike. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Bud! I'll look into that now.

kingpinofdisks

I was taking a look at the commie also. 160hp sounds killer!!!! They didn't have one that I could find here in LA when I was shopping a few weeks ago.

BUT, I did try the FJR and the ST1300 before purchasing my K12GT. The Honda felt a bit heavy in the handling. The FJR was a bit of a pig also, but has a big advantage in low-rpm torque (at least it felt like it to my butt). I can't imagine the commie would feel much better than either of these two.

The K12 gave me IMHO the best ride and handling, hands down, whether freeway or twisty riding. The bike is a bit sensitive to the throttle, and requires very careful modulation. She is quite powerful, and pulls very hard from 3.5K to the 10K redline. The 152hp is close enough to the commie that I wouldn't sweat it much, and is more than enough for me.

I get 39.1 mpg in mixed freeway/city (heavy traffic freeways) riding so far. On my one long trip (250 miles all freeway), I averaged 46.5 mpg with the cruise control set to 65 mph. All this from the trip computer, of course.

And it is MUCH cheaper to get the BMW now, than regret it later and swap. The aftermarket support is huge already for the 06-07 K1200GT, with barbacks, footpeg lowering kits, seats, luggage, windshields, and more.... but the kicker is the ESA - makes the girl ride so well in so many different situations.

. . .but the kicker is the ESA - makes the girl ride so well in so many different situations.

And don't forget that ASC is now available on the new GT's. With 152hp on tap, traction control (that you can switch off if you ever want to) is a good thing.

If your brakes truly act this way, something's wrong - take it to a dealer to check. My 06 RT has servo brakes and exhibits none of the behavior you describe.

Dealer says all is well, and others I've ridden exhibit the same under the same circumstances, which is probably why BMW finally dumped the servo for '07.

My brother's K12GT gets high 40's, comparable to my boxer. Doesn't that have 160-something HP?

+1 for my 05 R1150RT. I can't hear the servo with my helmet on, and my brakes aren't grabby at all.

+1 for my 05 R1150RT. I can't hear the servo with my helmet on, and my brakes aren't grabby at all.

Ditto for my '06 RT.

This has to be the ugliest motorcycle I have seen in a long time. The technology seems interesting but this might be a bike that is so ugly that nothing else matters!

This has to be the ugliest motorcycle I have seen in a long time. The technology seems interesting but this might be a bike that is so ugly that nothing else matters!

The R1200RT seems to be selling fairly well despite the overwhelming ugliness factor, so who knows.

Actually I like the GTR (especially in person) and think it looks great, as I know many R1200RT owners love their bike, so clearly that is open to debate....in fact lots of vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes) are attacked upon their release for being ugly at first glance.....time will tell.

And my servo brakes are not grabby either.....

Firefight911

The R1200RT seems to be selling fairly well despite the overwhelming ugliness factor, so who knows.

Actually I like the GTR (especially in person) and think it looks great, as I know many R1200RT owners love their bike, so clearly that is open to debate....in fact lots of vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes) are attacked upon their release for being ugly at first glance.....time will tell.

And my servo brakes are not grabby either.....

I'll throw it in there since you all are thinking it!! Just understand that I think the R12ST is GOOD looking! tongue.gif

I am eagerly awaiting to hear what the riding impressions of this thing are. Also curious to see if its fit and finish are improved over teh pre-production one I saw.

So very true tongue.gif

That is sooooo wrong! Whenever The Voices start whispering that I should clean my guns and load some ammo I just go for a ride and they fade - for a while.

Pilgrim

So very true tongue.gif

..............OK, I fixed it............

A motorcycle is a need

Motorcycle(S) are a want.

I need my RT.....

I want my KS & about 10-100 other bikes tongue.gif

So very true tongue.gif

That is sooooo wrong! Whenever The Voices start whispering that I should clean my guns and load some ammo I just go for a ride and they fade - for a while.

Pilgrim

Piiiilllgrriimmmmm. Gooooo for a riiiiiide. And taaaaake your gunnnnns and ammmmmmo wiiiiith youuuuuu.

Since I have less fairing on my ST, I can hear the servos when I'm stopped. I especially enjoy it at a light when I'm next to a car with a dog in it. lmao.gif

But I've never experienced any grabbiness either. My brakes don't feel much different to me than other bikes I ride.

So very true tongue.gif

Pilgrim

eek.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Your interest in more towards the touring side, would seem to rule out the FJR. While a fine motorcycle, it tends more towards the sport side. On paper the new Connie looks exciting, especially that it is priced well and I too might take a look see. But I tend to think twice about buying a new model, as I prefer to wait and let the bugs that inevitably occur in a new release, get ironed out. Being the first kid on the block with the new model is not always such a good thing. Good luck.

I got a call from a dealer today in Phx..the new connie will be on the floor @ noon Sat. I will be there to "bicker" on the thing. That is after i sit on it and look at it VERY closely...unlike I was unable to do @ the M/C show here a few months ago. So who knows.....but that color. Why silver for new bikes????? A nice red, blue or even Kaw green is better than that! bncry.gif

R1100RSpurist

In an year or so old motorcyclist magazine, the test the FJR, K12GT, and i believe the Honda ST1100(maybe the 1300) but anyway their conclusion was that the Honda beat the competition in its solid traditional engineering and overall good handling, and so maybe this is something to look into. (disclaimer, the FJR was handicaped in the test by its automatic-clutch)

I went to the local launch party for the Concours 14 last Wednesday. They had two bikes, one with ABS, and one without. The ABS version was on a pedestal, while they rode the non-ABS into the showroom where anyone could sit on it and kick the tires. Certainly sounds like some serious power. The dealer claimed 186 HP, but the UK website says "114 kW {155 PS} / 8,800 rpm". Does that mean 155HP?. With that power, about 660 lbs wet (UK site says 259 kg dry), and only a 22 litre tank, you'll be stopping often for gas. It will also be eating rear tires at a furious rate presumably and, as Fernando pointed out, it has a 190/50 rear, unlike the more popular 180/55 that many bikes have. The bike looked better in person (usually the case), though I'm still not a fan of those "slashes" on the side cases, and the muffler was as big as ever. No cruise control, no heated seats, and no factory heated grips (though grips are available as an accessory). There's a 39L topcase, high screen and comfort seat available from Kawasaki (you can see them on Kawi UK's website). Stock windscreen is pretty small, especially compared to the ZTechnik on my RT. There's an accessory outlet on the dash, and the bike is also pre-wired for a couple of others (F/R), as well as for driving lights. Even though it has some kind of single-wire bus, it still has fuses. The new key fob will make life interesting, as potentially you'd have to carry that around, as well as the switch/key (and it's pretty honking big). The dealer said you could leave the "switch/key" on the bike, as it locks automatically as you walk away with the key fob. And we thought we'd be screwed with the ring antenna on our new bikes lmao.gif

Check the bike out in person, it's worth a visit to your local dealer. There was one guy deep into negotiating when I was there, so I suspect our dealer is already down to one, of tw, bikes.

Archived